Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 11:28

Plan: Keto under 20 c
Stats: 170/157/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default 2nd try

About 2 years ago, I had great success, eating low carb. But then found out I had really high cholesterol. After watching the video "The Oiling of America I did not want to go onto lipid lowering drugs, So have been floundering. Now I have gained back my 35 pounds, and am a full fledged bread eater again. I believe I over did the butter and cheese the first time round . I want to try again, I would very much appreciate some support. When I come home from work I eat compulsively, It does not matter if it is low carb or high carb I seem to be driven to eat to sedation.
I am going to get rid of the carb foods that I have in the house and start again on the low carb diet. The Banting diet and the keto diet both ask you not to snack. That is the difficult thing for me. If anyone has a suggestion for me please feel free to respond. I am going to try to reach out instead of eating when tempted.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 15:13
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome to the forum! I wish you the best as you give low carb another go. I too had issues with cholesterol after going low carb. My doctor wanted me on statins. Folks here were telling me not to worry about my high LDL as all of my other numbers were improved. I couldn't help but worry. My LDL had doubled and I was being pressured by my doctor every time I went in for a checkup. I was able to talk her out of a prescription for statins. I told her that I would work on my cholesterol issue. I did work on it. I added back a few more carbs and a ton of fiber to my diet. My LDL number slowly got better. Then after being weight stable and no longer in "weight loss" mode my cholesterol numbers became the best they have ever been.

My cholesterol numbers above are shown in the usual USA units. The standard for LDL is that it is supposed to be less than 100. Mine was measured at 248 at its highest. While I do think that some of the things that I did to lower my cholesterol did help, I really think that the numbers simply got better on their own over time. If I'm in weight loss mode or fasting (burning more energy than I'm taking in) my LDL goes up. If I am in a fed state (weight stable or slowly gaining) eating low carb, my LDL goes down. Eating consistently low carb ALL of the other cholesterol numbers (HDL, triglycerides, and VLDL) are outstanding whether I'm gaining or losing. So in the end my cholesterol issue resolved itself and my doctor is very pleased with the numbers. And given what I've figured out about this, higher LDL during weight loss is just part of the process for me. Under my circumstances, I'm not sure that the higher LDL was ever really a health risk. I will admit, it is easier to say that now that my LDL is no longer crazy high. It is nice to have the doctor off my back about a statin, too.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 18:20

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterborou
About 2 years ago, I had great success, eating low carb. But then found out I had really high cholesterol. After watching the video "The Oiling of America I did not want to go onto lipid lowering drugs, So have been floundering. Now I have gained back my 35 pounds, and am a full fledged bread eater again. I believe I over did the butter and cheese the first time round . I want to try again, I would very much appreciate some support. When I come home from work I eat compulsively, It does not matter if it is low carb or high carb I seem to be driven to eat to sedation.
I am going to get rid of the carb foods that I have in the house and start again on the low carb diet. The Banting diet and the keto diet both ask you not to snack. That is the difficult thing for me. If anyone has a suggestion for me please feel free to respond. I am going to try to reach out instead of eating when tempted.

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum.

Regarding cholesterol: you might find this article interesting. Total cholesterol is pretty much meaningless, but it gets more interesting the deeper you dig. Trig/HDL ratio is supposed to be one of the best markers you can get from a basic lipid panel, in that it's inversely associated with LDL particle size. So if you're like me for example and have high LDL-C, but Trig/HDL is really low, then that tells me my LDL-Ps are all the big harmless fluffy kind. So nothing to really worry about.

Another name you might want to look up on YouTube or wherever is Dave Feldman. He was at Low Carb Breckenridge 2018 a few weeks ago and I'm sure he has a number of other presentations about cholesterol around the place as well.

Regarding snacking: I too got started with Banting, but I set myself a personal rule that I would never go hungry. Past attempts at losing weight had always failed for me because I just kept getting hungry. So I always made sure I ate whenever I was hungry, and conversely I would not eat if I wasn't. It took me maybe 2-3 months for the snacking to just stop of its own accord as I found I wasn't getting hungry so easily anymore. Based on this experience, I figure if you take it naturally like this, you'll be fine as long as whenever you do eat, it's strictly on-plan.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 18:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

When I start low carb, I do snack, I eat 3-4 meals a day but keep it all low carb. Eat boiled egg, or pork rinds, cheedar chips, few nuts.

As you progress your need for eating snacks will decrease. The cravings will disappear. Hang in there. Stay at it. Eventually, snacking is forgotten and meals drop to 2 or sometimes 1.

I cant do LC on will power. I success because the LC works to control hunger and appetite.

TO fill the time that I used to cruise kitchen I had to actively plan activites. Or else I head to the kitchen out of habit. So heads up on that.

Give your self time on this LC eating plan and it will evolve as your body adapts.

WHen I donated platelets, my "blood" was oddly colored compared to others donating. I knew the lipds were different. Mine was a white, not a yellow.

Again, give your body time to change. Atkins talks about the time to adapt and the cholesterol that went UP, comes down with time.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 07:49

BF:

Thank you Ken ,Gray and Arielle
the info on LDL is encouraging. It makes sense that mine was alarmingly high because I was very definitely in wieghtloss mode.
It feels good to know I am not alone in this. Nancy
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 08:37

BF:

As I am newly charged up, I am reflecting on how happy I was last May when I went to the docs only to have the rug pulled out from under me. Its on! I will push a way the frustaion of past set back start a new. The sun is shining this morning its been a rather grey winter. Cheers to all .
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 09:17

Plan: Keto/Paleo
Stats: 237/194/185 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Stay charged up, Peterborou. If you will it, you can do it.

I agree with the posts above by khrussva, Ms Arielle, and Grav. Hyperlipidism is often ideopathic (unknown causes) and quite frequently a function of something that we can change. I've been doing this (LC, modified Keto) for only a short time, but my physician has been encouraging me the whole time even through the weird fluctuations as numbers change.

Don't know your healthcare situation, but if at all possible, perhaps you can get a reference for a doctor that knows/specializes in your condition(s) and use that doctor? I know that doing so really helped me out through the bad times (and there were a few) and hope that you can avail yourself of such a situation...
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 07:58

BF:

Hi Chuck thanks for responding. It seems to me the less I have to do with the current medical system the better.I like te idea of daily food intake journal.I have not learned what all I can do on this web sight. Its 10 am in Peterborough. I wish u luck today. Stay on your plan.