Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-12, 12:32

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 194/190/125 Female 65''
BF:
Progress:
Default Fast TSH .3 and T4 5.9??

So, I have been suffering with weight problems for what seems like forever now. I was anorexic at one time and weighed in at 98lbs. I got better and weighed 135lbs right before I got pregnant with my son. Ever since then, I haven't seen anything below 180lbs. I'm always tired, stressed, achy, cranky, feeling sick all around. My neck aches, I have a ton of sinus pressure, and absolutely no motivation. I have my days where I will get up and get things done for the day, but that doesn't happen much.
I recently went to an ENT. He felt my thyroid and said that it feels enlarged. My TSH level is .3, which by what I have been told is normal, but at the very bottom of normal. They tested my thyroxine-T4 which is 5.9. But nothing else after that!? I also had a miscarriage in February. I was 9 weeks along and we were excited to be having another baby since our son will be 4 in July. I'm so confused and would love some answers. I know I have allergies, just don't know what I'm allergic to yet, but I can't sit here and think that all of my other symptoms are coming from just allergies, especially since my allergy meds don't take care of all the symptoms let alone some of them. So I guess my question is, would I be someone with hypothyroidism?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 16:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/230/190 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Numbers are not of much help. You need to find a practitioner that will not work off blood results alone. My wife's numbers were always very close to if not normal and was never put on thyroid. Yet since then she has ramped up to taking a nice big dose of thyroid. She too a had a miscarriage back when she was in her late 20's. Same with me my t3 was a bit low but I am on a bunch of thyroid.

Our doctor gives us an exam and asks how we are feeling. Never has used blood work. I've seen other doctors that use the blood tests and never got the results I wanted. Look for someone who practices this more " holistic" approach.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 16:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Do you have the lab ranges on your test?

You could have fine TSH and T4 but your free T3 could be low.

Another factor to consider is your diet. Perhaps you're like many people and don't do well on gluten and/or dairy. A lot of fertility and miscarriages happen with folks suffering from celiac disease and possibly gluten sensitivity too.

Consider doing a paleo diet and see if you feel better. I'll let you google up the details, but Mark's Daily Apple is a good place to start.

Another web site that might help is: http://stopthethyroidmadness.com
They detail all the testing and stuff you should get done.