Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 08:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/122/120 Female 5.4 1/2 small frame
BF:23%/23%/?
Progress: 89%
Question Carbolite: the Frozen Yogurt Debate!

Howdy All!

I'm looking to have a FRANKENFOOD dessert - normally I avoid fake food like the plague but this afternoon is special.

I've opted for the great Carbolite Frozen Yogurt... now - the manager says it as 1 carb per ounce. (swore up and down!) A small has 5 ounces therefore 5 carbs.

BUT the hidden carb calculator says 4 ounces has 6.20 carbs!

here's the nutritional info. from the carbolite website:
1/2 cup
42 Calories
Fat 6
TFat .7
Sfat 0
Cholestrol 41
Sodium 44
Fiber 1
Sugar 3
Sugar Alcohol NA (those sneaky &^%$)
Protein 3

What does this all mean? Thanks - your'all the EXPERTS! viv
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 08:42

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Default Lots of confusion!

First, I think you misread the carb counter. I ran your numbers through and it said NEGATIVE 6.20 carbs per serving, which is of course impossible.

Second, if it has 3 grams of sugar per serving, then those are carbs. Of course, comparing a half cup serving and an ounce isn't the same, but if we are talking the 1/2 cup serving, then it does have at least 3 carbs.

Finally, if you use the simple calculation that a gram of fat has nine calories, and a gram of carb and protein each have four, then the stated nutritional info is way off.

6 grams of fat x 9 calories/gram = 54 calories...Right there, without considering the protein and carbs, it has more calories in the fat than in the entire serving. Once again, impossible!

Sorry this hasn't been more helpful. If it were me, I would eat a serving and not worry too much about it...just don't overindulge! And ENJOY it if you are going to eat it!

AMY
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:01

I must be DENSE... I still don't get it...

1. how many ounces are in 1/2 cup? i thought 1 cup was 8 ounces... so 1/2 cup = 4 ounces? Help!

2. there are 3 gms sugar but they don't report how many sugar alcohols are in the carbolite.

3. the odd part is the store says the "mystery yogurt" has zero fat & zero sugar (splenda) & one carb per ounce... yet that doesn't jive with what the company posted as the nutritional info.

4. should i just chalk it up to "it's better than eatting a real candy bar!"

viv
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:03

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Carbolite is one of the companies that is supposed to be getting fined for misrepresenting the nutritional info AND ingredients on some of their products. There's a link to an article about this in the Media Watch section. Basically, there is sugar in stuff that they say is sugar-free. That's pretty bad when you take diabetic people into account, don't you think? Not to mention us LC-ers.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:14

thanks jeanny! so basically it is NOT a LC treat after all ...

how depressing... you think you're being good - when in fact, you're just being deceived into thinking you're a faithful LCer!!!
viv
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 14:49

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Well, DANG IT!!

At least I only bought one CarboLite thingy. The others are Atkins. I wondered about whether or not their label was accurate. Not because I thought they were lying, but I didn't know if they really understood low carb. That's okay. I'll just avoid them for now. Label said 0 sugar.

edited to add:
http://www.click10.com/sh/health/st...507-100548.html

This article said they are being fined for chocolate chip cookies labeled no sugar when they did have sugar. Still....it doesn't say they've "tested" everything else.

Last edited by 2bthinner! : Sun, May-11-03 at 15:01.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 17:17

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

There are fluid ounces 8oz to a cup. Use that to measure your water. Then there are solid weight ounces 16=lb Use that to measure your steak. If you weight an oz of the yogurt you will have the portion you found on website. Since I don't know how heavy it is dense or fluffy I won't guess. Use the label values.

Check them again for fat grams maybe you missed a decimal pointhttp://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101593http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...threadid=101593

Last edited by bevbme : Sun, May-11-03 at 17:25.