Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-20, 12:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I so appreciate you leaving a written history , to record how we have ended up in this mess.

Talked to a woman from Africa last night. A drink made of simmered pineapple skin and ginger is sweetened with honey. She also mentioned weight gain over these last few years...... more complicated than just the use of honey ,of course. Made me think how honey is view as very healthy but its also loaded with fructose. Almost as much as refined sugar.

Honey in moderation for those with a healthy liver I guess.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Aug-27-20 at 12:31.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-20, 13:53

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Honey, sugar and hfcs have similar levels of fructose, roughly half, although their particular effects on any given individual may be different, possibly due to other characteristics of each sweetener than fructose percentage. For instance I know someone for whom a dessert sweetened with sugar makes sicker than the same dessert made with honey. Agave syrup is particularly high in fructose. Sort of like hfcs on steroids.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-20, 22:39

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

From reading so many of Dr. Jason Fung's books, fructose has always been a non-starter for me with hard rudder changes to make it so.

_
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-20, 06:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I have an eating plan where I gradually added low sugar botanical fruits (berries and cherries, avocado, some tomato sauce) but lost all vegetables. My guidelines have been everything is eaten as part of a meal, and a meal is something that doesn't trip cravings.

I have to feel satisfied, and I don't want to be hungry for hours.

It is bizarre that shredded cabbage creates a problem when raspberries don't, but I can't argue with my body. I already spent decades doing that.

I'm 1.5 years into this thing and still figuring stuff out. It was only a few months ago that I dropped nuts and seeds and my arthritis improved dramatically. I don't know why tomato sauce seems to work while potatoes, not matter how small a portion, do not when they are both nightshade plants. (But one is a fruit and one is a tuber.)

Still trying to figure out my rules, and I encourage everyone to experiment in the same spirit.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-20, 11:13

BF:

Potatoes. Try fresh dug, never exposed to sun tubers. If u dare. Tomato fruits can be in the sunshine, the tubers cannot. In the grocery stores, it seems normal to see green potatoes. Green potatos belong in compost.

Could also be the anti sprouting sprays.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-20, 15:16

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Potatoes. Try fresh dug, never exposed to sun tubers. If u dare. Tomato fruits can be in the sunshine, the tubers cannot. In the grocery stores, it seems normal to see green potatoes. Green potatos belong in compost.

Very good advice! Any part of the potato that is green or an "eye" (place that could sprout) is loaded with nightshade toxin. Also generally in the skin. Much less inside the peeled and de-eyed potato. Tomatoes when ripe lose a lot of their nightshade toxins so have far less than the potato.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-20, 03:55

BF:

Quote:

Frankly, I don't miss them that much. Can't eat many in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Tomatoes when ripe lose a lot of their nightshade toxins so have far less than the potato.

I figured it was something like that. And I tried rhubarb in a smoothie yesterday; only a small amount, but that's a stalk. A vegetable.

And if the vegetable thing is fiber, small amounts might work. On the other hand, Dr. Ede can't have vegetables, either. Her work gave me the courage to drop them entirely.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-20, 08:46

BF:

Imho, if carnivore means eating wild meats, or the next best grassfed, then carnivore should provide all the nutrients.

Its the grain fed that is concerning. As feed is the biggested expense in producing meat animals, the grain is the cheapest and vit/mineral packs are added. Again aimed at what produces a marketable "product". Not the most nutritious foods.

Eating wild also means eating the whole animal.....well, my cats always left the gall bladder!! :LOL:

Makes me think of fatty livered frous gras......grain stuffed ......what if they force fed HFCS instead....?
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-20, 08:55

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I miss potatoes fried in bacon fat. But I like being thin and healthy better than eating them, so I don't.

I do get to eat all the bacon I want though

Bob
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-20, 09:00

BF:

Bob, your efforts to stay healthy are inspiring.

Fried potatoes and twice baked, yum. Homemade fried in beef fat, oh my. Since we grow potatoes, Im more likely to eat them now and then.

Home grown are so much better. With butter, sour cream, cheddar......

My teen boys love potatoes now and then, and is a better alternative to pasta.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-20, 13:03

BF:

I'd rather have bacon, anyway.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-20, 08:52

BF:

Ms Arielle. Thanks.

They way I see it is that if you don't have your health, you've got nothing. All the money in the wold will only buy you a nicer hospital room or a better coffin.

I plan to live over 100.

So far, so good.

Bob
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-20, 13:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Ms Arielle. Thanks.

They way I see it is that if you don't have your health, you've got nothing. All the money in the wold will only buy you a nicer hospital room or a better coffin.

I plan to live over 100.

So far, so good.

Bob

One side of my family lives to 90's snd 100's. The other gets cancer. Im sure trying to beat the cancer curse and live to a healthy 100 too. My mother has dealt with the cancer curse 2x and at 86, is going strong.

-------
Liver.

Talked to a woman today that has old recipes to feed cats and dogs. Contains liver. Her cats lived in to 20's. Makes me wonder how eating liver would be beneficial to our livers.....
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-20, 18:20

BF:

Quote:
One side of my family lives to 90's snd 100's. The other gets cancer. Im sure trying to beat the cancer curse and live to a healthy 100 too. My mother has dealt with the cancer curse 2x and at 86, is going strong.

-------
Liver.

Talked to a woman today that has old recipes to feed cats and dogs. Contains liver. Her cats lived in to 20's. Makes me wonder how eating liver would be beneficial to our livers.....

I hope you make 100.

I can't eat liver, too high in arachidonic acid, it'll fire up arthritis and bursitis which I cured by minimizing AA in my diet.

Bob
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-20, 19:08

BF:

Bob, totally understand . Stick to your AA elimination diet forbsure. I was mearlly commenting on liver as a bases for a Science Diet tupe of recipe.