Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-11, 11:35

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default 4 Secrets Of People Who Have Lost Weight And Kept It Off

Quote:
From The Huffington Post
26 November, 2011

4 Secrets Of People Who Have Lost Weight And Kept It Off

By Cynthia Sass, M.P.H., R.D. for Shape.com

Losing weight is one thing, but keeping it off is the true challenge. That's why researchers from Brown Medical School and the University of Colorado started a database called the National Weight Control Registry, which tracks more than 5,000 people who have lost an average of 66 pounds and kept it off for more than five years -- without gastric bypass surgery. Through communicating with this group of successful weight-loss losers, they've identified four things people who keep the weight off have in common.

Eating Breakfast

Seventy-eight percent fit it in daily. Other research has shown that people who regularly skip breakfast are statistically 4.5 times more likely to be overweight, and people who eat breakfast tend to eat fewer calories all day. And it just makes sense with how our bodies work: We tend to be more active during the day and meals and snacks are meant to fuel the hours after the meal. In other words, when you eat the bulk of your food in the evening when your activity level is low, you don't need all that fuel, and you can't retroactively burn it, which means the surplus gets sent straight to your fat cells. My favorite breakfast lately? I mince a fresh apple or pear (skin on), place it in a bowl and top with a dash of apple pie spice, a quarter cup of toasted rolled oats and two tablespoons of sliced almonds. It's delicious with my soy latte, which I spruce up with a pinch of ground vanilla bean.

Weighing In

Seventy-five percent of this group weigh themselves at least once a week. Some research shows that daily weighing can be beneficial for long-term weight control, but it's important to know that it's normal for your body weight to fluctuate from day to day or hour to hour. For example, if you have a meal that's saltier than usual, you'll retain more water, which can cause your weight to creep up until your body can flush out the excess sodium and fluid (16 ounces of water weighs one pound). But weekly weigh-ins can give you a sense of your body's usual pattern, and that's important because if you see a change from what's typical, you can make the connection about what's happening and address it right away. You may realize you're eating out more often, or not paying as much attention to portion sizes. That kind of detection system may be an important key to keeping the weight off. If you don't like weighing yourself because you get too caught up in the numbers, choose a pair of pants or jeans to serve as your "measuring stick." If they start to feel too tight, take a closer look at your habits.

Turning Off The TV

Sixty-two percent watch less than 10 hours of TV per week. This is a big one. We tend to burn fewer calories while watching TV than we do reading or even sleeping. I call it the "TV trance." And of course there are numerous ads for food, which is probably why studies show that people eat between 30 and 70 percent more while watching TV. I have friends who don't own TVs, but to me certain shows serve as stress relievers that make me laugh, or feel like a mini-escape from deadlines and bills. But I do watch far less than 10 hours a week, and I try to do something active while I'm enjoying The Walking Dead or Psych, even if it's just folding laundry or ironing.

Exercise

Ninety percent of this group exercises on average about one hour per day. That sounds like a lot, especially because according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), more than 60 percent of American adults are not regularly active, and 25 percent aren't active at all. But that 60 minutes doesn't have to be all at once. It can be 15 minutes before work, 15 minutes carved out of your lunch break, and 30 minutes in the evening after dinner. And it doesn't have to involve going to the gym. It can be walking (my preference), riding a bike, or even dancing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/..._n_1110258.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-11, 11:37

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Not really secret ... but it's always good to reinforce the message.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-11, 19:48

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

For breakfast I have a cup of coffee with lots of heavy cream in it, does that count? As far as the rest of the list I think those tips are spot on.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 16:16

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 208/170.2/170 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

That's a good four. We could probably come up with four more of our own...
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 22:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Yep...I soo agree
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: varies - experimenting...
Stats: 248/194/185 Male 6 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Skipping TV is a good tip - especially avoiding commercials. I find watching food commercials really sets off my cravings. Sometimes, even days later, I'll find myself experiencing seemingly random cravings that were implanted by seeing a commercial for pizza or beer.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 10:29
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibersnap
Skipping TV is a good tip - especially avoiding commercials. I find watching food commercials really sets off my cravings. Sometimes, even days later, I'll find myself experiencing seemingly random cravings that were implanted by seeing a commercial for pizza or beer.

Thank god for the DVR. It means that I don't have to watch those commercials....and it makes watching TV faster

--Melissa
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%

Not being hungry and not eating breakfast is a sign that you ate too much the night before.