Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 23:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/140/130
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default coffee

Hi There

Can someone explain to me why or "if" caffeine interferes with weight loss?
I have switched over to decaff for some time now (several months) and have even managed to decrease amounts significantly ( I was quite a coffee drinker at work).

I don't want to go back to that level I was at...drinking caffeinated coffee "whenever', but I wondered if it is ok now to return in moderation- I thought somewhere I read that. I do love coffee with cream for a treat.

Also, any guidance if I start to increase...how much is ok without interfering with the program? And, if it is better just to keep with decaffienated- does it matter to the Atkins program..how much is consumed daily? (and does that mean after Induction and I can add in more cream to diet)

I'm almost through the two weeks of Induction- can't wait to add just a few more vegetables...I made it (two days to go...it's been kind of difficult for me...but ok). And, I'd like to add some coffee back...if possible for a treat.
Any experiences with coffee?

Mona Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 08:10

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Try doing a search...

I believe there are several strings somewhere in here about coffee.

I believe that caffeine makes your body produce insulin, just as if you had eaten carbs.

I didn't have any trouble with coffee. I still would lose weight, but this time I got totally off of it because I just didn't want to put the artificial sweetener in my body, and my gyno had been preaching to me anyway. So, I just stopped it completely (at least for now). But I do miss it!

I used to have it with Sweet n Low, and heavy cream.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 08:41

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

There is also the fact that shocked me, coffee has 1 carb per cup, 8 oz cup, plus whatever you put into it.
I do think Dr. Atkins needs to clarify this in his book. It only mentions that the caffeine could affect wt loss.

#4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 13:08
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks

It's good to know it has carbohydrates itself. And I do recall reading somewhere it may boost an insulin response......I'll do some searches.

Thanks for responding so quickly!
Mona Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 07:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/236/175
BF:
Progress: 19%

coffee don't bother me or loss none...it's a personal thing though, quit a few days and see if it helps. If not, have a few cups a day.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 09:58

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I think it's an individual thing, like diet drinks. I drink 2 - 8 oz coffees with half and half in the morning - it hasn't affected my weight loss and I'm always in Ketosis.

Vikki
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 11:11

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Caffeine can start carb cravings...raise your insulin level...etc...

BUT I believe it depends how much you drink of it...I drink Decaff Coffee now and occassionally regular coffee or a diet cola and I have not had bad cravings or problems. Now everyone is different...some people drink cups of regular coffee and still successfully lose with no problems...again, an individual thing. I can say that since I switched to decaff, my weight loss has sped up a bit.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 12:47
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I have never given up my coffee...even from induction. Just refused, even if it meant a slower loss. It was one of those things for me that was important. I only drink it in the morning usually, a large cup, sweet and lows, and half and half...it's a whopping 8 gms.

However, it's one of those YMMV things...(your mileage may vary!) as so many people have no probs, and some really do.

Try limiting yourself to once in a while for a treat like you said...if you see that there's a stall (not a one or two day no loss, and not a one pound gain, but a real intereference with your progress) then cut it out again and see if that helps.

You don't have too much to lose, so maybe this will actually help you out...I swear my coffee keeps my metabolism up a bit and really helps keep things regular. Maybe for my system, I need that.

#9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 09:30
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Everyone

It sounds pretty "individual". I'll experiment a bit and see what happens.
thanks for responding!

Mona Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 18:41
Registered Member

Stats: 144/133/125
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Curiousier and curiousier....hmmm

I have been reading so many different opinions on the whole caffeine thing in relation to insulin levels and LC dieting, and I'm terribly confused!

My SO is really into researching the science behind body building and weight loss. He reminded me of the so-called "ECA stack" that so many people swear by. According to the folks that subscribe to that method of appetite suppression, the "C" part of the equation being caffeine, 200 mg. shouldn't effect the insulin levels in the blood and should help to stave off hunger pangs.

I was so afraid of not following Dr. Atkins diet to the letter that I quit drinking coffee altogether. Due to the severe headache I had the first day, I took a 200 mg. caffeine supplement which helped my head but now I'm worried that it may have had an adverse effect on my insulin level.

If anyone has any additional information or any more specific quidelines to follow while on the Induction phase, I would love to hear from you!

TIA
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 19:11

Stats: 220/215/170
BF:
Progress: 10%

Would the same thing apply to tea?? Tea actually has more caffeine than coffee.