Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 08:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/146/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Red face Splenda use

Hi,

I too felt eager upon hearing about splenda. However, recently I have developed anxiety attack systems, lethargy and mood swings. I have been home for 2 days due to exhaustion.

Splenda was the culprit. Look up Splenda on the internet, and you too will just hate to even think of sugar of any kind in the future. Other users described the very same symptoms I have been having.
See: www.holisticmed.com/Splenda/
I am home detoxing from the stuff.
Otherwise, I love atkins.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

It's truly sad, but there are people that are sensitive to a variety of things... remember that the FDA has received more complaints (serious complaints) about aspartame than any other product in its history, if I remember correctly.

We have "met" a lot of people right here at this site that are sensitive (or not) to sugar alcohols, glycerine, wheat, soy, corn, you name it...

It's caveat emptor all over again.... as always... buyer beware and YMMV Your Mileage May Vary.

Thanks for the heads up on your reactions to Splenda. Anyone else with perhaps a sensitive or compromised immune system should examine their reactions, if any, to sucralose (Splenda).
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 11:26
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for your imput.
I've developed HPLORI and Dr. said to stay on bland foods only.
After a few days, I'll be back on Atkins. It's so weird, that certain foods don't even taste good to me anymore.
Keep up the good work.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 18:30
Registered Member

Would that be H. Pylori? The nasty little bacteria that turn out to be ulcer makers?

So sorry to hear that... Good luck to you.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 18:00
Registered Member

BF:
Default Down time

IslandGirl

Yes, it is. The one and only. I had it once before and it got so bad I passed out at work and had to be rushed by ambulance to the hospital. $6,500 later still no diagnosis. Had to go to walk in clinic, because my Dr. was not available for a week. This time I didn't wait too long. Taking my meds, messed up my metabolism again. Feel so lethargic.
I love the Atkins lifestyle. I have more energy than all my friends that look fit and trim.
Just 10-15 to go and I'll be bulge free.
Wish we were close enough to start a personal meeting.
Keep up the good work.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 08:06
Registered Member

BF:
Red face Splenda not good for you!

I will never fall prey to a sweet no cal/carb product again.
The side effects it caused me were horrendous. Do you know that the product has not been tested thoroughly!
Stay clear of it.
As you all know, I've been under the weather lately. Tomorrow I am going to begin the induction again. Wish me luck.
You all seem to be doing so well. Keep it up.
Sandy34683
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 16:00
Registered Member

BF:
Default Liquid splenda

Hi IslandGirl:

Personally, I stay away from it now. Not healthy, and not enough research done on it.
I found my sugar needs dropped significantly when I started getting closer to my ideal weight. Have a shake (canned) instead. It is really naturally sweet. Good on all levels.
Keep up the good work.
Sandy34683
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 18:47
Registered Member

Hey Sandy, I hear what you're saying...

I'm on my 2nd (or third?) round of LowCarbing, have been doing this for 4 years now but maybe I'm regretting quitting smoking in the middle. We each of us have different systems and different tolerances, but I appreciate your tips based on YOUR personal experience.

On a more boring note, it would save me from having to 'merge' your posts back into the conversational threads you're answering if you would use the reply button instead of the new post button... Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 19:11
Registered Member

BF:

Hi IslandGirl:

Thanks for the tip. New to the site. Glad you brought it to my attention.
I too try to quite smoking (light smoker) while on atkins. I can usually stop for a month or two then work stress brings me back to the nasty habit. However, I am determined to stop when I reach my goal; 10-15 pounds lighter soon I hope.

Keep up the good work.

Sandy34683
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 01:00

Stats: 253/218.5/185 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation My Experience with Splenda

My personal experience with Splenda

I am on Atkins and found out about the dangers of aspartame so avoid it though I have had no discernable side effects apart from some 'brain fog'... cloudy thinking. Someone suggested Splenda to me so I purchased a box of it plus some tablets for my decaf coffee as well as purchasing diet cola flavoured with Splenda.

Almost immediately, I found myself doing stupid things like driving through red lights without even thinking about it. I became moody, irritable and withdrawn. I also experienced continual headaches ranging from moderate to quite severe. My doctor also told me I had irritable bowel syndrome as I had almost round-the-clock diarrhoea.

I had been eating unsweetened yoghurt with frozen berries which were a bit sour, so I sprinkled the Splenda over them. I began experiencing severe anxiety and panic attacks, rapid and irregular heartbeat and a massive rise in blood pressure to 170/130. I went off to my doctor and she prescribed me tranquillisers for my anxiety and panic attacks and has referred me to the coronary department of the hospital for a tape test because of ectopic and irregular heartbeat. I was suspicious about the origin of my symptoms, so once my heart rate returned to normal I sat down and had another small bowl of berries and yoghurt with several teaspoons of Splenda sprinkled on it... Within fifteen minutes I started having an irregular heart beat, and feelings of severe anxiety and a panic attack. Not satisfied with this.. I waited until the next day and then drank a can of Splenda-sweetened diet cola, a small bowl of berries and unsweetened yoghurt sprinkled with Splenda. Within 20 minutes the irregular heartbeat began, I experienced depression and anxiety and my blood pressure rose. I had also been waking up about 5 - 6 times a night. There was enough for me to get suspicious about my reaction to Splenda so I went online and did a web search on sucralose side effects and found enough anecdotal reports by people reporting exactly the same symptoms I've been experiencing, to make me go and throw out my Splenda and replace it with Stevia.

Since this time, my diarrhoea has gone, my heart rate is fine and my blood pressure is normal. My mental acuity rose considerably so I now think clearly and I have had no further repeats of the anxiety and panic attacks and I am once again sleeping through the night.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 17:45

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

I did some research on the web about Splenda, and basically it is the same story as when aspertame was released in the 80's. VERY little testing, so they can no side effects. 20 yrs after aspertame was released, they are finally able to prove that it is not harmless.
A doctor I trust said to stay away from it if I possibly can. Sugar alcohols don't bother me too much, but I just generally avoid sugar subs. But a girl does need chocolate every now and then!
When I first started to LC, I made some cookies with Splenda when my MIL was visiting. She ate one and had such a hideous reaction, I felt so awful. I thought it was safe. That's when I decided to check it out for myself.
I've been on the website mentioned in the 1st post. It is very informative.

Last edited by sknymonkey : Tue, Oct-14-03 at 17:47.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 11:39

Stats: 269/245/150 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 20%

Splenda seems to make my blood sugar go up. It was getting into a diabetic range and not coming down til I stopped having it. I guess the sweet ain't worth the trouble.
Elaine