Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-12, 15:40

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Niacin studies show that it doesn't work either

Quote:
This morning, drug researchers and cardiologists were again shocked by a big “everything you thought you knew is wrong” moment.
Again, lowering cholesterol with drugs, or a vitamin, is shown to not improve health. Niacin had been considered a safe natural way to lower cholesterol and reduce deaths.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-12, 00:25
Registered Member

Plan: High fat, low carb
Stats: 225/179/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Randy Thomas a preventative cardiologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., says: “I don’t think there will be much of a future for niacin.” He is disenchanted with many cholesterol-lowering drugs. The big exception, he says, are statin medications like Lipitor, Crestor, Zocor, and Pravachol, most of which are now cheap and generic and have been shown to reduce heart attacks and deaths in big studies, and which are among the most commonly prescribed medicines.There is no doubt that these medicines have a big benefit for heart patients.

“As we delve into the statin therapy there are probably multiple reasons that the statins are so beneficial and lowering [cholesterol] may be just one of the reasons for benefits from statins. Anti-inflammatory effects may be another factor.”

Wow, those last 2 sentences on the benefits of statins contain one "probably" and two "maybe's".

Sooo, Niacin and statins both lower cholesterol, but Niacin's cholesterol lowering effect is being shown to be ineffective at reducing heart disease, so what does that say about statin's cholesterol lowering effect. "Well.....ahem.....it must be.....um......it must be the anti-inflammatory effects of statins. Yeah, that's the ticket." *shakes head*
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-12, 03:34

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Well, there sure are a plethora of studies showing the effectiveness of statins (i.e., reducing mortality) but no one on here wants to believe them. I've searched and searched for both sides of the story and studies showing they are effective are way more plentiful than those showing they aren't.

Personally, I'm going with: they are effective. My father died of a heart attack at 56 (pre-statins) but his sister has taken statins since they came out in the late 80's. She's 86 and still up running around. I have other relatives in their 80's also on statins. No side effects. Alive. I'm going with what works in my family.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 02:04
Registered Member

Plan: Somewhat Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
Well, there sure are a plethora of studies showing the effectiveness of statins (i.e., reducing mortality) but no one on here wants to believe them. I've searched and searched for both sides of the story and studies showing they are effective are way more plentiful than those showing they aren't.

Personally, I'm going with: they are effective. My father died of a heart attack at 56 (pre-statins) but his sister has taken statins since they came out in the late 80's. She's 86 and still up running around. I have other relatives in their 80's also on statins. No side effects. Alive. I'm going with what works in my family.

If my father died of a heart attack at 56, I would also take statins. But someone like my mother, who has muscle pain and feels horrible while on statins, should probably not take them. She can control her cholesterol through diet alone. Statins have been heavily researched via big pharma b/c they are huge money makers, but these studies are rigorous and show proven benefit for many.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 02:07
Registered Member

Plan: Somewhat Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Naicin is known to have little to no benefit for most people (this is not new info). It works by a completely different mechanism than statins.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-13, 18:13

Plan: None in particular
Stats: 190/190/190 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Statins + niacin doesn't seem to be a good idea any more...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013...E9280G620130309
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 01:10
Registered Member

Plan: High fat, low carb
Stats: 225/179/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
"There are some nails in the coffin. But it doesn't absolutely answer the question," he said of the study. "I don't know that it was the niacin. They may be right, but they may be wrong."
Well, this article is the final nail in the coffin wrt niacin in my view. As of tonight I stop taking my Slo-Niacin and have thrown the rest of it in the trash. I mean, if Merck is voluntarily pulling their product from the market, what does that say about it? And while it's true that...
Quote:
The trial was not designed to show whether the adverse side effects were caused by the niacin or the anti-flushing drug, another potential failing.
...given the results of other studies, I'm willing to bet that its the Niacin. No thanks.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 13:50

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The results of the study mentioned in the original article have now been released. Just a wee few "little side effects"....

Quote:
The addition of Tredaptive was found to bring no benefits at all in terms of risk of heart attack, stroke or overall risk of death.

However, those taking Tredaptive were at increased risk of certain side effects including:

bleeding
infection
diabetes
diabetic complications in those with diabetes
muscle damage (myopathy)
gastrointestinal symptoms
rashes

In summary, Tredaptive clearly did significantly more harm than good.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/03/14/...rawn-from-sale/