Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 11:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%
Default Atkins Obits

The nonsense is already beginning. From the CNN.com obit:

His philosophy of loading up on meat and cheese instead of breads, pastas, and even fruits and vegetables, went against the nutritional grain among mainstream dieticians.

Quite a few things wrong there, of course. Atkins doesn't tell anyone to "load up" on anything. And there's the usual nonsense about avoidng fruits and vegetables. You'd think they'd get it right in an obituary. No, actually you wouldn't, would you?

Sheldon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 14:02

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I'm getting fed up with all the misinformation about his diet. I heard one newsguy say that his diet is a "No Carbohydrate" Diet. He allows 20g during induction, and even that number will increase during OWL and Pre-Maintnance/Maintnance.

Referring to it as a "Hi-Protein" diet is also incorrect. I believe Dr. Atkins even took that misconception on in his book directly. His diet is not Hi anything. It is low-carb. Even though, he says that you should get plenty of fat and protein...He does not tell you "load up" on it.

I'm about ready, to start writing to these people to correct their misconceptions.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 14:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Unhappy

*sigh*

So many people, including mis-informed followers of his program, think that the 14-day Induction period is the whole diet. Forever and ever amen.

*sigh*

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 17:02

Stats: 195/154/125 Female 5'0"
BF:never measured it
Progress: 59%
Default More illiteracy!

It IS appalling. What ever happened to the bygone era when people in the media were supposed to check their facts, or consult the fact-checkers on their staffs? Reporters nowadays just say whatever pops into their heads and they get away with it if they are thin (!) and glamorous enough. How many of these people even bothered to ask someone who might possibly have read one of Dr. Atkins' books???? Grrrrr!

Jsandrock
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:07
Registered Member

Stats: 269/232/190
BF:
Progress: 47%
Angry News Media

Fact Checkers?! They became obsolete long ago. I think they have all been replaced by Ratings Checkers.

The current media mantra: "Facts? We don't need no stinking facts!"

I am deeply saddened by Dr Atkins' death. He changed my life
*sigh*
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 07:56

Stats: 195/154/125 Female 5'0"
BF:never measured it
Progress: 59%
Default He changed my life too!

Yes, he certainly changed my life too -- and how many other people? What are there, 24,000 people on this forum alone? I read somewhere that much of his estate will be going to his foundation to fund further research. Whatta neat guy he was! So courageous -- and I got the sense he went through all the persecution by Congress, etc., with a twinkle in his eye because in his heart he KNEW he would be vindicated someday.He surely will be missed. And unfortunately the media will still insist on screwing things up but I guess those of us who are the "success stories" will just have to be the ones who are the walking proof of the benefits of low carbing no matter what those hair-sprayed TV people say in their ignorance.

jsandrock