Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 19:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi - it would help if you filled out the 'location' field of your profile, since this is an international forum. Here in Ontario, it's widely available and cheap at a chain called Bulk Barn.

I really doubt soy flour would be a good substitute. As a rule of thumb, I never make substitutions unless I'm confident that the ingredients do the same thing, like, say, two different sweeteners. You're better off looking for a soy flour based bread recipe.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Oct-01-06, 00:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldeal
Can someone tell me where I can find flax seed? This bread sounds good and I'm dying to try it. Can I use soy four instead?

...then it wouldn't be flax bread, it would be soy bread...
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Oct-01-06, 08:40
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%
Default Flax Protein Pancakes

OK, using the great recipe provided, I posted earlier that I'd made some caraway-seed bread (Rye-ish) I'd used for yummy stuff. Can't wait to get my 'rye-flavoring' to add to the mix and try that again!

This morning I decided to try an experiment. I need more protein and more calories than I am getting, I can't eat meat all the time or eat as often as I should, so I was hoping to get both 'up' by modifying it a bit.

(Might have gone slightly overboard on the cals. Those on lower-cal diets could replace some butter with egg or even cottage cheese or something and add an extra Tbsp of protein powder and I bet that would work out with a little fussing.)

Since I am rather like I Love Lucy in the kitchen--a clutz who is lucky anything edible results (I'm a true shame to my Virgo x4 heritage)--this sort of evolved (or devolved) into what you see below.

CAVEATS:

The below was decently textured for pancake batter for the first pour-- because I was quick. By the second round, it had thickened up a LOT. By the third, the batter was nearly as firm as mashed potatoes! The extra butter and egg over the original recipe (top of thread) were my attempts to mellow out the thickness, and it was STILL like that. I finally just used it as-is and it didn't hurt anything... didn't seem to have any problem cooking through, the way normal pancakes would at that density. So if you try this, maybe be prepared to use more liquids. Or something.

I thought the sweetness was just right, but my protein powder is quite sweet on its own, so you might want to experiment with that element.

I reduced the baking soda to save carbs only to realize after it has no carbs even in a whole tsp. Doh. So that could be increased without harm, however, that stuff ain't doing much fluff-help with protein powder in the mix I don't think!

Flax Protein Pancakes

2 oz (half stick) of butter (cal 407 fat 46 carb 0 fib 0 prot 0)

3 eggs, large I think (cal 252 fat 18 carb 2* fib 0 prot 18) *~.6-.7ea

5 Tbsp flax meal (cal 200 fat 14 carb 6 fib 6 prot 3)

1/4 tsp baking soda (0 everything, even at 1tsp)

2 Tbsp protein powder (measured at 3 Tbsp per 'scoop')
1scoop of Designer Whey French Vanilla> cal 90 fat 1.5 carb 2 fib .5 prot 17.5
so 2/3 of that> cal 60 fat .5 carb .67 prot fib .17 prot 5.83)
(I cannot guarantee other proteins are edible this way.)

~1tsp 'apple pie spice' (which is cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice blended) (I gave it 2 carbs because cinnamon has that for 1 tsp, 6 cal)

1 tsp fiberfit (old formula = equiv 4.5 tsp sweet) (cal 4 fat 0 carb 1 fib 1 prot 0)

Assuming I had poured this all before it thickened like crazy, I think it would have made about six, 6" pancakes... that's an estimate. I call this "4 pancakes" for estimating serving counts just to be on the safe side.

Recipe Totals: Cal 929 Fat 78.5 Carb 11.67 Fiber 7.17 ECC 4.5 Prot 26.83

1/4: Cal 232 Fat 20 Carb 2.92 Fiber 1.8 ECC 1.12 Prot 6.7

NOW for the results.

I put butter on the first one and let it get melty and smeared it around a bit and then tasted it, to see if I needed to have more/less sweetener, or spice, or whatever, so I could experiment with each pancake.

It was GOOD! Wow! It really was reminiscent of some buckwheat-like kind of food. It was not 'light and fluffy' at all -- mostly thanks to the protein powder I added! -- but so what.

I had intended to melt butter, use maple syrup and some thickener, or maybe just to use my raspberry SF fruit topping or something.

But my mouth was so happy about the taste that it scarfed the whole first pancake down. My hand helped by just picking it up and stuffing it in. Those two! Ya just gotta keep an eye on em!

So on the second one, much thickened, this one I really did intend to put some kind of yummy stuff, maybe apricot SF jam (yum!!) on, especially given it was much thicker, but alas. My hand and my mouth conspired to eat it again!

That was about half the recipe; the third Waaaay overthick pancake was much larger as well.

So the third one finished, but...

... I couldn't eat it. I fully intended. But I had a hard time eating the last few bites of the second one for that matter.

It isn't just that there's a decent dose of protein. I can happily eat a 12oz steak without blinking and be willling to eat more. I think it's that there is also a lot of fiber and a lot of fat, and the three combined really knock your appetite out, my stomach was like, "No, no! No more!"

So... if you're feeding a hungry man this might be just the food.

This was good enough that although it's more like a health food pancake than a traditional one (fairly solid, and heavy on the buckwheatish flavor), it is GOOD, and there is no reason why anybody I know even high-carb people would dislike it with the topping of their choice.

IDEAS

Because this is a different texture than normal pancakes, it doesn't "absorb" stuff (like butter) quite the way they do. A little, not as much. I was thinking it would be interesting to do a version of this that was savory, and do crispy chunks of bacon, and some fried onions/mushrooms, into the batter, add a little bit of chicken bouillion crystals and black pepper instead of the sweeter-spice, no sugar of course, though it might be hard to find a protein powder that is un-sweet enough. If you used some of the bacon/onion/mushroom and their resultant drippings, with some cream and not/starch thickener and chicken bouillion to make a gravy, that would be yummy. Then, make it in like mini-muffin pans instead of as a pancake, bake it like that, and the gravy over, I'm thinking my dad is the sort who would love that kind of thing, a variant on the 'morning biscuit and gravy' concept. I may or may not ever try that but it sounded like an interesting idea.

This'd go well with blueberries or chopped nuts or chopped strawberries or even LC mini chocolate chips.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Oct-07-06, 02:15
Scottish Flower

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 210/171/145 Female 5ft 3 1/2
BF:no i'm married :)
Progress: 60%

I tried this bread last nite, so quick and delicious! thank you very much for posting the recipe, i absolutely hate the "low carb" bread with what i call the weird stuff in it, this morning i toasted some and had it with my scrambled eggs

daisy xxx
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 11:39

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

10 out of 10! WOW!!! I could not get over how good this is!!!

Thanks!
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 12:44

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
...then it wouldn't be flax bread, it would be soy bread...

Point taken!
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Dec-10-06, 17:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

I tried this for the first time this morning. Wow! Unbelieee-vable that you can make something that much like bread out of those ingredients - and it's both good and fast, to boot!! I'm going to need a lot more ground flax in the future

I saw one mention of doubling the recipe and doing it in a 5x9 container - has anyone else experimented with even bigger batches?
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-07, 15:29
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Just made this, haven't tried it yet...noticed the OP said the recipe made her 8 slices??? Did anyone else get 8 slices from this? I'm looking at mine and thinking 2, tops.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-07, 16:05

Stats: 183/173/120 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 16%

Does it taste like real bread?
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-07, 16:16

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Nothing taste like real bread. You have to come to term with this fact.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-07, 08:18

Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

After reading about versions of this recipe I finally tryed a muffin version..two eggs, spenda, baking powder, flax seed, wheat bran and a little butter. It was SO good..I am really looking forward to trying other versions, especially a savory version. Rightnows pancake version is sounding really good two. I buy a low carb bread, but this version is lower and tastes much better :-)
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-07, 16:13

Stats: 183/173/120 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPass
After reading about versions of this recipe I finally tryed a muffin version..two eggs, spenda, baking powder, flax seed, wheat bran and a little butter. It was SO good..I am really looking forward to trying other versions, especially a savory version. Rightnows pancake version is sounding really good two. I buy a low carb bread, but this version is lower and tastes much better :-)

Half-pass your version sounds really good- could you please post the exact amounts. I cook by recipes. I haven't quite mastered a "little of this and a little of that" yet to get a perferct recipe. I am still learning.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-07, 18:16

Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Sorry, I did not measure amounts and you don't seem to need to with the recipe. Tonight I made a savory version, omitting the splenda and adding some parm cheese and some southwestern seasoning. It was really good and I think that if I let it cool and sliced it ....it would be great for sandwiches. This is really a great idea..I like it much better than the expensive low carb bread I sometimes buy and I think that it would be healthier too.
If you go back in the thread there are some posts that incluse some measurements..I honestly just dumped ingredients in.
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 00:36
Registered Member

Stats: 260/229/162 Female 178 cm (5' 9 1/2")
BF:
Progress: 32%

I wouldn't substitute ANYTHING for the flax meal here - ground flax has some very interesting properties when it is wet and gets heated. It is almost like gluten. That's why some recipes that don't make sense on paper (or, online) turn out great from the oven.....because the flax seed meal changes, glues, stretches, etc.

Good luck!

Stacey
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 12:30

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Flax bread I make Hamburger size buns with this. This is a recipe I copied from a recipe section.
It is not my own invention.
I usually sprinkle Caraway seeds on top but my next batch, just for a change, I will sprinkle sesame seeds because it smells so good in the toaster. I do not ever use any sweetening.
I do freeze them, each wrapped individually.
FLAX SANDWICH BUNS
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flax meal
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon granular Splenda ??????
1/2-1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
1 1/2 teaspoons dry minced onion
3 eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
Put the dry minced onion in a small bowl and add just enough water to moisten; let stand until softened. Mix dry ingredients; add onions, eggs, water and oil. Pour batter into 6 greased muffin top pans. Bake at 325º 15-20 minutes. To serve, split buns horizontally to make two halves using a long, thin knife.
Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen
Per Serving: 140 Calories; 11g Fat; 8g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs