Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 10:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/140/110 Female 5.6 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default It has been working for me!

Hi. After almost a 1 year plateau I weighted my self today and guess what...I've lost 4 pounds in a week.

What I have been doing different is I am counting calories. 20grams carbs and good fat and protein, plus psyllum fiber, vitamins, water...I am exercising less...22 minutes on my elliptical machine...that's about 100 calories/day. And let me tell you...is the first time in my life that I am enjoying exercise, because I am no killing myself.

I am taking medication to control my insulin, so I will never touch flour or sugar (I don't miss the anyway). I would like to add some fruit eventually. It's funny, I didn't like fruit before starting Atkins.

The problem I think with me and Atkins is that the food is soooooooooo good, that I overeat. For me and my metabolic problem was 1400-1800 calories. That according to my height, age and the other important stuff that matters.

Right now I am eating 1000 calories plus exercise. I am not hungry at ALL, I have tons of energy, I enjoy my food and I am loosing weight.

I would never go to a low fat/diet, even if it would allow me to have more carbs. I love beef, chicken, fish and fat. I love Atkins Diet because it let's me eat the food I love.

Dr. Ellis program (what I read from the info I posted)helped me understand that in my case, calories matter and a LOT!

Hey. One thing I miss. BREAD. I haven't been able to bake decent bread. I love to cook and bake. When I reach my goal weight, from time to time, I would like to eat some whole wheat bread.

Thanks for all your support.

And God bless Dr. Atkins.

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 23:46

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Evee---I was just wondering if maybe you have your goal weight set a little low. I see in your profile that you are 5'6". The charts that I looked at give weights as follows: small frame 120-133 #'s
med frame 130-144
lg frame 140-159

The only reason I noticed this is because my 16 yr old daughter is 5'6" with medium frame and tries to maintain around 140.
Just wondering. Blessings, Karen
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 23:50

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Happy Birthday Eveee

I also saw in your profile that your birthday is Nov 22.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Blessings, Karen
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 05:52

Stats: 256/246.4/171 Female 1.76cm/5.9
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Go by the book

Did Dr. Ellis read Atkins' book?

Quote:
Chapter 20, page 170, about the Fat Fast:
".. Lowering the caloric intake accelerates the need to burn up body fat - thus the 1,000 calorie limit."

Chapter 22, all along, Exercise: It's non-negotiable:
"...Exercise is like a buy two, get-one-free proposition. Not only does elevate your metabolic rate while you are exercising, but it keeps your calorie-burning meter cranked up for significant periods after you are through."

And so on, and so on, but he, there's not point on copying here the book... we all know all that if we have read it.

Greetings.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 07:58

Stats: 148/136/122 Female 61 1/2"
BF:?/32%/
Progress: 46%

I just lost my reply...just rethinking Calories/Activities..

Not that I want to make this a DIET THING but more a PHYSICAL THING...

very interesting thread...
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 11:42
Registered Member

Stats: 156/140/110 Female 5.6 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi Karen. Thank you for your message. I think I don't have much muscle or my bones aren't as heavy as other people. My doctor told me about my muscles and now I am working out.

My sister, who is about an inch taller than me, weights 140 and she looks just perfect. Me, on the other hand, with 140 look overweight.

I have PCOS. My insulin is crazy and I gained 30 pounds. Before this happened to me I was a size 2 ( I was doing Atkins back then); then I started gaining the weight.

I want to fit back in my cloth, it really doesn't matter the weight. Back then I used the Protein Power Book to figure out my Lean Body Weight and my Body Fat Percentage and I was not underweight and had about twenty something of fat percentage which according to them was in the healthy range.

I will get the numbers and post them here.

Thank you for your concern and advise.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 15:52

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%

You had to pay 50 bucks for the book??
That is one expensive piece of literature!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 20:45

Plan: schwarzbein/atkins
Stats: 200/175/130
BF:?
Progress: 36%

This thread is a bit old but I just found it and was glad that I did. I have not read the book, just the part here on the forum but after having a really hard time losing weight on Atkins, I believe everything he says is true. I also agree with Brobin that to call Ellis a blowhard is a bit ridiculous since Atkins is just as full of himself (got rest his dear soul) That being said, I believe, as someone else said, they are both right. I have been overweight most of my life and due to lots of yo-yoing, have messed up my metabolism. When I read this thread last night a huge light bulb went off. I'm an overeater and a former overeater who preferred carbs. Just to switch from carbs to protein and fat is NOT enough for me, I have tried it and as Ellis talks about, have gone through the frustration of trying to find that magic hidden carb that was stalling me. I really think that the most successful locarb dieters are those who have used the decrease in appetite created by the insulin supression to actually consume a lot less food. I also would like to mention Dr. Schwarzbeins books here because I think her food plan is the best, healthiest, most balanced lifelong plan there is. The problem is that she does not think calorie counting is important either so many people do not lose weight on her plan. As of today I will be following a plan that combines low carb,( 50 grams or so), whole foods without chemicals and additives (Schwarzbeins big thing) and I will moniter the overall daily consumption. I hope I will finally lose weight at a slow and steady pace. I will stick around here though because there is always more to learn and everyone is very supportive.