Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 05:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default The Alzheimer's Antidote, Intro Sale

Amy Berger of Tuit Nutrition has made her book, The Alzheimer's Antidote, available on Amazon Kindle. Introduction sale price of $6.99

Amy is a member here and posts on occasion.
Her recent good podcast interview with Robb Wolf on the topic of Nutrition and Alzheimer's at: http://robbwolf.com/2015/09/15/epis...and-alzheimers/

Quote:
My e-book, The Alzheimer’s Antidote, is now available for sale on Amazon, for Kindle readers. =D In celebration of this semi-momentous event for me, I am running a pre-sale discount of “30% by the 30th.” If you order the kindle format book before March 30, the sale price is $6.99. Beginning April 1, the book will be available for the full price of $9.99. (Note: you can order the Kindle version any time before 3/30, but it will not be delivered to your device until that date.)

I would like to once again thank Ellen Davis, the brilliant mind behind Ketogenic Diet Resource, which is the single best one-stop-shop I know of for anything and everything you could possibly want to know about ketogenic diets for everything from weight loss to diabetes management and adjunct cancer therapy. (In fact, she has three excellent e-books on implementing ketogenic diets, one for cancer, one for type 2 diabetes, and one for type 1 diabetes.)

This time around, I would also like to thank Mike Sheridan, who is basically the only reason my book is now available for Kindle at all. I may have written this thing, but he’s the one who formatted it for kindle and took care of all the technical logistics. (Not my strong suit!) Mike has an adorable Canadian accent, but even better than that, he’s got a few books of his own that you might be interested in. (Tell me, dear readers, has there ever been a book title in the centuries-old history of publishing better than Eat Meat and Stop Jogging?) He’s also got a blog where he writes aboot nutrition, food, and stuff I don’t really cover at all, like exercise and athletic performance. Go check it out, eh?

I am so grateful to both Ellen and Mike for helping me to make this potentially lifesaving information available to a much wider audience.

Also: If you’ve already purchased the e-book, or plan to purchase it for Kindle, please consider leaving a review on Amazon. (Especially if you liked it and found it educational & helpful!) If you do write a review, please specify somewhere in it that you purchased the book through the author’s website before it was available on Amazon, and that’s why it is not an official “verified purchase.” (Because the Kindle version will not be delivered until 3/30, Amazon might not give you the option to leave a review until after then, but keep it on your radar to do so when you have a chance!)

And one more thing before I get out of your hair for the day:

The convenience of e-books is tempered by the risk that some of the links included will change and no longer direct you to the correct pages. I recently went through the e-book to update broken links and add some brief thoughts on the use of exogenous ketones for Alzheimer’s. If you purchased the book, you should have received an email notification about the update, including a link for a free download of the updated version. If you have not received this email, but purchased the original e-book and would like a free copy of the update, please contact me.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/0...ote-update.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 07:19

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Thanks Janet. I've wanted to read this book but I hate e-books. I have a desk top computer only and find reading anything but relatively short articles from the screen difficult if not impossible. I have now pre-ordered it for Kindle on Amazon.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-16, 08:22

I've had this book for 10 days, but have other library books calling, and often just forget there are ebooks waiting in the iPad (first sign of dementia?). What I have read is good and look forward to getting back to it, now that I listened to this podcast with Dr Mary Newport.

Quote:
Special guest Dr. Mary Newport joins the podcast to discuss her latest book: The Coconut Oil and Low Carb Solution for Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Other Diseases. - See more at: http://www.weightandwellness.com/re...h.JfctkjVB.dpuf

Hearing her a few years ago, it was all about the coconut oil and the diet was secondary (she would mix CO into oatmeal) Her new book adds LC, and extends benefits to other neurological diseases.
This nutritional therapy group always keeps their radio shows to the very basics with simple explanations of the science.

The book: http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carb-Solu...s/dp/1591203813
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-16, 08:35
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

If you have Kindle Unlimited, The Alzheimer's Antidote is free and delivered now. I'm currently reading it on my laptop using the free Kindle reader for PC.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-16, 08:50

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have read Amy Berger's book on my Kindle. The first part, which explains the science, is very interesting. The second half is practical advice about eating a low carb diet which didn't offer me anything new but for people unfamiliar with low carb it is useful. The more I read the more convinced I am that low carb is the only way to go for overall health.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 05:29

AD is so linked with insulin, does not matter which comes first...agree that LC has so many benefits.

Brain insulin resistance identified as possible new link between Alzheimer's disease, diabetes

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...60407221709.htm
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 13:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I have this on my Kindle! I love her writing style.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 13:46

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I have read Dr. Newport's book and also have had Mother on a ketogenic diet for over a year. She gets coconut oil every day and also sees a doctor who understands this science and has prescribed specific supplements to help with Alzheimer's. It may or may not have prevented her AD from worsening but until I see a book that describes a person already stricken with this disease and who has actually recovered memory from following some dietary or medical protocol, I remain unconvinced. I have not seen this in any lasting way, ever - not on YouTube, not in any forums - no where.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-16, 05:41

Study: almost half of Alzheimer's cases are due to hyperinsulinemia

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/309031.php
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-16, 07:53
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Everyone should be tested, early and often, preferably with the A1C test that doesn't require fasting.

This may show up diabetes and pre diabetes, but it doesn't necessarily show up all hyperinsulinemia. As an example, I had symptoms of high insulin (with PCOS) from age 10, but nothing ever showed up on an A1C, even at the stage a few years ago when I started to get higher fasting BG - and this was because even once I had higher fasting insulin (110) my BG would get lower as the day went on, a common symptom with very high insulin levels.

While the pancreas is still throwing out huge amounts of insulin in response to insulin resistance it may never get caught unless insulin levels are actually tested (which we don't do in the UK at all, or very rarely AFAIK). A cheaper, easier, more reliable insulin test needs to be developed so that people with this issue are caught much, much earlier. The reality for me and many with this condition, is an A1C probably wouldn't have shown anything for many more years, so with a hard working pancreas maybe 40 years or more between onset and diagnosis - how much plaque is laid down during that period?

As Dr Fung says, it's the insulin resistance and the excess insulin that is the main issue in what later is diagnosed as diabetes - it's all the same condition, and from this it seems that for some alzheimer's is just an even later symptom of that condition.

People need to be diagnosed earlier, an A1C showing pre diabetes or diabetes is too late.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 04:07

We all wish for a better home Insulin test but even Dr Westman and Dr Fung indicate that the existing fasting test has many limitations. I asked Dr Fung about it in Feb:

Quote:
Your answer here about blood tests and the list on your distance program does not include a Fasting Insulin test. Why is that? Some doctors recommend monitoring it, with an optimal level of 2-8 and using the HOMA-IR number as an estimate of insulin resistance. What do you use to indicate a patient's improvement in IR, if the recommended monthly tests of FBG and Hba1c show only symptoms of disease, not the IR itself?
Dr. Jason Fung: I used to measure fasting insulin, but found there was too much variation even with the same patient to be useful. I've started checking it again, along with C-peptide but more to rule out latent onset type 1 DM.

Everyone is talking about IR but no one has told me exactly how to know you have it...or according to Woo, maybe rather you are insulin sensitive now.

In fact IR came up in an intriguing study on Breast cancer last year. They did use fasting insulin and HOMA-IR to calculate "insulin resistance" and saw an increased risk of BC even for normal weight women with IR.

http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2016/0...er-and-obesity/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-16-16 at 04:13.