Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-20, 10:20

Plan: General low-carb
Stats: 239/208/175 Female 5" 10"
BF:
Progress:
Default Been down this road before...

Hello everyone!

This is my second go-round with full blown low-carb. My first was 7 years ago and I was a long-time lurker on this forum. You all helped me tremendously, even though you didn't know it. lol I lost 80 pounds, got back to my recommended weight, and felt great!

Then, as we all know, life happened. Move to new state (NM to Alaska!), hip replacement, divorce, entirely different career after almost two years with no real job, new guy...can we say "lots of stress in about 5 years time?" My solace was found at the bottom of a caramel swirl ice cream container. (OK - no lie - it was darn good! ha!)

Fast forward to 5 months ago - all but 10 pounds had crept back on, needed the other hip replaced (not weight related), and I could no longer go out on my partner's fishing boat to fish salmon with him since I was in too much pain. Something had to give! So I scheduled a 2nd hip replacement (other hip), got some Keto strips to make me feel better the first weeks, and went to 30 carbs or less per day.

I'm halfway to goal right now - 32 pounds in 5 months. I'm not losing at the same rate as the first time, which I put down to age. I was 51 last time, turning 58 in a few days this time. Both times I was in a lot of pain due to hips, so I wasn't active at all. Just like the studies have shown, weight loss for me is definitely 75-80% what I eat!

Last time I'd get a "whooshie" of 3 to 4 pounds overnight and it would stay gone. This time it'll bounce down a pound or two one week, then back up for a week until it settles to the new weight. It is excruciatingly slow but that's OK, I know I'll get there and overall it's a downward trajectory.

I just hit the BMI milestone of dropping from "obese" to merely "overweight." Yeah, BMI doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of health, but it's a widely used benchmark so I patted myself on the back for that.

My cholesterol is down, my BP is down, my overall health is definitely getting back where it should be. I am lucky to be able to eat fresh-caught fish (a lot!) and deer. Veggies, of course, and lots of eggs. We eat mostly wild food, with very occasional ground beef and chicken once every couple of month.

I have surgery on the 11th and plan on walking a LOT after that! My first replacement was a breeze, I have no doubt this one will be too!

So, thanks for this forum! You all are much appreciated! I hope to be an active participant this time around and maybe that will help me get to goal and stay there.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-20, 14:35
Think, then Eat.

Plan: LC / L-FODMAP / L-IgG
Stats: 276.4/237.2/199 Male 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Sitkagal!

Welcome back to the forum. I hope this gives you the boost you need to keep things moving.

It sounds like you are eating very well. The family is watching an Amazon prime series called Mountain Men and one of the guys is in Alaska and most of them live off the land. I think it would be a great way to live, but the rest of the family isn't on board. It's a lot of hard work. I'm sure you love the food that you get.

Looking forward to seeing you around!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-20, 15:40

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/172/140 Female 5'3”
BF:
Progress: 52%

Sitkagal, what a great, positive post! Welcome back!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-20, 17:15

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the welcome! Glad I took the plunge and joined.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-20, 16:33
Think, then Eat.

BF:

How are things going? I hope your surgery goes well tomorrow.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-20, 08:46

BF:
Progress:

Going pretty well, thanks Jeff! I'm home in Sitka after traveling to Anchorage for the surgery. Only spent a day in the hospital after the hip replacement.

I did eat more carbs than I'm used to, but I managed NO desserts (sugary sweets are my downfall!) and ate plenty of salads and veggies.

Now I'm home recuperating and will get back on the low carb bandwagon.

Bronwyn
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-20, 11:40
Think, then Eat.

BF:

Glad to hear that the surgery went well. I hope that the recovery hasn't been too painful this past week. Hope it is all going smoothly.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-20, 11:45

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Ive been reading about fasting. One of tge atributes us healing after surgery. I can here my mother in my head forcing me ti eat when sick, yet no eating would have better results . Who knew? Might be worth checking out....

Glad surgery went well. Praying recovery is speedy.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-20, 21:32

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for checking on me.

My hip feels like nothing was ever wrong. If anyone ever needs a replacement, the anterior approach is the ONLY way to go! This went even better than my first replacement. Apart from needing to get my stamina back after sitting around for months due to pain, I'm fit as a fiddle after only a week! No pain meds needed after surgery, great range of motion. Truly hip surgery is a modern miracle!

Interesting re: fasting. Due to the after effects of anesthesia, I basically fasted for a couple of days. That, I believe, offset the carbs I had eaten beforehand so it became a wash for me. (Thank goodness!) I do, however, believe low carb (and perhaps fasting at times) is a much healthier WOE for recovery. Without a "carb coma" I found it much easier to get out of the brain fog of anesthesia.

I didn't gain any weight over the past couple of weeks, but I certainly didn't lose any either. I'm back at it and am finding it easier to avoid temptation now that I am not in continual pain. Fingers crossed I get over this stall and start losing again. I'm anxious to get into the 100s club!

Sitkagal (Bronwyn)
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-20, 06:50
Think, then Eat.

BF:

Hi Bronwyn! Glad to hear that things are going so well. It's amazing what they can do now.

I'm sure that as you get back into your groove, you will be in the 100s in no time. The reduction in pain overall should definitely help you as well.

Have a great day!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-20, 10:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

So glad to hear!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-20, 16:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Bronwyn. Glad to hear you're feeling well again already. I think you're right about a fasting and/or LC approach being best for healing. I've noticed a huge difference just in terms of avoiding colds and flu, but it would stand to reason that if excess carbohydrate and food in general stresses your body, why not remove it while you're recovering?

I love your name, BTW. My father is Welsh, and I always considered that as a name if I had a daughter. I'm a bit jealous of my brother's very Welsh name, Gareth.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 10:08

BF:
Progress:

Hi Kristine!

I have Welsh ancestry also so I've always appreciated my name. (Gareth is a great name!) However, growing up in Kansas in the 60's & 70's, I often cursed it as well. Talk about not fitting in with all the Lindas and Karens! And...you know...it was Kansas. lol

Yes to keeping stresses low when healing. I really hadn't considered how much carbs stressed my body but it's been on my mind this time 'round. My heart rate and BP are lowering as I lose weight and I would think that would contribute to the "healing aura" I've got going on. With no sugar spikes to deal with, I'm sure my body is much better able to handle surgery and it's aftermath. I've got a really strong inflammation response to sugar. Anything (like LC) that keeps inflammation low will help longterm healing.

Bronwyn
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 10:09

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
So glad to hear!

Thanks WereBear! I really appreciate the kind comments here.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-17-20, 11:51
Think, then Eat.

BF:

Hi Bronwyn!

Just checking in on you. It's been a few weeks since you've posted and want to see how things are going. I hope it's going well!

If not, that's ok. No better time to get on track again than today!