Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 00:09

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Suddenly Gaining

I started LCing exactly a year ago....by late July I'd lost 36lbs and I suddenly hit a plateau...My weight stabilized in a 220 to 224 band...in fact, for 5 months it never strayed from that range.

One week in late January it suddenly jumped outside of this range and the "new range" was 226-330 during February. About 3 weeks ago the range inched up to 228-332. And suddenly this weekend I saw 334 for the time since last June.

What's changed? I can't really tell. The only changes in my regimen in the last few months are:

1. I cut out most Sugar Alcohols in late January, suspecting that might have caused the first bump in weight that occurred in late Jan.

2. I started taking Allergy medicine on a regular basis...Claritin and Alavert.

3. I had to cut back on excercise due to "scheduling" problems...I had been running about 4 miles 3x per week...now only 1x per week with 2x40min of stationary bike per week.

Anybody else experienced something like this after LCing for a long time?

Love to hear any input or feedback...

Brian
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 05:44
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I went to the Atkiins center to look for info on allergy medications, and found this instead.... perhaps you've become intolerant of some or other food (?)

Quote:
Food Sensitivities
Food sensitivities and yeast are common reasons for experiencing symptoms such as brain fog, gas, bloating or heartburn, especially after meals. Food sensitivities and yeast are also very common in people with environmental allergies, asthma, migraines and irritable bowel syndrome. The body reacts to an allergen by increasing the production of adrenal (stress) hormones. Over time, exposure to foods that provoke symptoms and blood sugar instability will over-stress the adrenals, resulting in fatigue and other symptoms. In people with chronic respiratory symptoms such as postnasal drip, rhinitis, frequent colds and sinus problems, chronic allergic inflammation to yeast and other foods may be a culprit

The Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM is very successful in identifying and alleviating these chronic symptoms. Remember that allergy medications only treat symptoms and do not identify common substances in the environment that provoke symptoms. The more stress you experience, the more reactive you become. The more you can identify and avoid those stressors, the healthier you'll be and the fewer symptoms you’ll experience..

Quote:
Food Intolerances
Food allergies (more properly called individual food intolerances) to substances other than yeast can be a major roadblock to weight loss. Without knowing it you may have added to your meal plan a food to which you are allergic. Wheat and wheat products are frequently culprits. Other common problem foods include milk, cheese, eggs and soy. Eating a food to which you're allergic may cause symptoms such as gastrointestinal or respiratory problems, joint pain and skin eruptions1-2. From the point of view of someone trying to slim down, the most damaging aspect of eating a food to which you're allergic is its tendency to cause cravings, which, if indulged, can lead to unstable blood sugar. Your real challenge will be to discover that you have a food intolerance in the first place and then to determine which food is the culprit.

Hope that helps!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 11:58

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Greetings

Greetings from a fellow Irvine runner.
I am not a nutrional expert to give nutrional advices, but I do know that as much as high intensity exercises can speed up, the sudden decrease of them can slow down your metablosim. Any time when because of injury I had to change my running to cycling or walking, I gained weight. (Despite of the cut back carbs, calories.) Maybe to squeeze in some running again? Irvine seems to me as a real running Paradise.

See you on the track:-) (What is your favorite running place?)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 220/220/165 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default ME TOO!!! And I'm so confused

Hi Brian --

I was so glad to find your post about suddenly gaining weight after a year on LC, because the same thing has happened to me and I can't figure out how to turn it around again. Have you been able to get back on track again since your post a couple of months ago?

I started Atkins in March 2002 and lost 25 lbs over the next 9 months. But 6 months ago, I stopped losing and have gradually regained almost half the weight I lost. This is so discouraging!

I've been doing a fairly careful 20-30 net carb/day intake since I started, and haven't really made any big changes to what I eat. It's pretty much a routine now. The only changes I can think of are:

1) I discovered Ross low-carb chocolate bars a few months ago and am now addicted (1-2 bar per day habit ). I think I know what I need to do here, but it's so hard to go cold-turkey!! Did giving up sugar alcohols work for you?

2) We had a very harsh winter and my exercise level has really slipped from where it was (I was walking 4 miles almost every morning, plus occasional biking and upper body weight workouts). As the weather improves (will it ever? my furnace still kicks on every morning, and it's JUNE!!), my exercise will increase again. It already is -- I'm doing a 50K bike event this Saturday!

3) I have a new boyfriend in my life who is making me VERY happy! He's understanding about my LC eating habits, and is even considering trying it himself! But I wonder if happiness is somehow counter-productive for weight loss?

4) I started taking blood pressure medication last fall, Altace. Is this something that's known to interfere with weight loss?

My body is very resistant to weight loss at this point in my life. I have a history of yo-yo loss/gain, fueled by long bouts of semi-starvation dieting. I once lived for almost a year on less than 500 calories a day -- YIKES! I lost 50 lbs and looked great, but eventually collapsed from exhaustion. My doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong with me because I "accidentally" forgot to tell her about my strange eating habits.

I love LC eating -- it's good for my diabetes and blood sugar control, and I still feel great and full of energy. But unless I can figure out how to start losing again, or at least stabilize somewhere, I may need to try something else.

Thanks for any advice you can share!

day