Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-11, 12:51
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Oven-Fried Summer Squash

I had this for lunch with a BBQ rib leftover from the Fourth of July dinner and man, it was hard to stop at just one serving. Very tasty! This is pictured here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...-summer-squash/

This dish is super easy and super good! No standing over a skillet of hot grease either! So good, it was hard to make it be the 4 servings is should be. I had zucchini, yellow and calaba squash in the refrigerator but decided to use the calaba today. These two similar squashes are in the same family of vegetables. I debated whether to parboil the calaba squash slices for a minute or two for this but decided against doing so. It got fully done in the 20 minutes just fine. The pork rinds make it crunchy on the outside, but it is soft and moist on the inside. I use Randolphs pork rinds, which are not quite as salty as most brands, as I am very sodium sensitive. I find them at my Walmart. This dish is Induction friendly.

INGREDIENTS:

16 oz. zucchini, calaba (its cousin) or yellow squash
2 oz. pork rinds, plain, finely crushed
1/3 tsp. my seafood spice blend: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/0...od-spice-blend/
6 T. my homemade mayo: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/0...ade-mayonnaise/

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 450º. Crush rinds and add spice blend on a paper plate or saucer and mix well. Dip out mayo onto another paper plate or saucer. Cut stems and bottom tip off squash and cut into ¼” slices lengthwise. Holding the very tip of each piece with one hand, with a basting brush in your other hand, baste both sides of the squash slices with a coating of mayo. Set brush down and with your now free hand, sprinkle rinds on both sides of the squash and then place on a non-stick sheet pan. Repeat for each piece. I’ll tell ya up front, if you just dip these babies down into the rinds (more will stick on) you ARE going to run out of rinds before you’ve coated all the squash. Been there; done that; So trust me on this one…….just sprinkle it onto each side, letting the excess fall back into the plate and you should have enough for the entire batch. Pop into a 450º oven for 20 minutes or until nice and brown. No need to turn during baking as the bottoms get nicely browned where they touch the pan.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings, each contains:

245.3 calories
21.3 g fat
4.18 g carbs, 1.25 g fiber, 2.93 g NET CARBS
10.8 g protein
250 mg. sodium

45% RDA Vitamin B12, 25% B6, 21% E, 27% C, 20% phosphorous, 50% riboflavin, 55% selenium, 18% zinc, 18% copper, 23% iron, 10% magnesium, 13% manganese
Sponsored Links