Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 21:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Small Parcel By Air agreement of long standing between the US and Canada. Random customs checks (and some sniffing, I imagine) but generally, any air (postal or courier) is fastest and least "inconvenient".

Speaking from experience...

Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 11:42

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 190/180/180 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:

Yes, I saw the Big Fat Thread! Thanks.
What I meant to say is that it is now available for purchase from the website.

http://www.mybigfatdiet.net/buydvd.html

Last edited by drw : Thu, Jun-05-08 at 11:42. Reason: type
  #108   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 07:42

Plan: Under 50 grams
Stats: 190.2/181.0/147 Female 5'4.5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default A Canadian LC diet documentary (2007)

http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/

I'm watching this now, It is very interesting.

Scotiagirl
  #109   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 07:46

BF:

#110   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 08:40

Plan: was Atkins, now undecided
Stats: 290/290/160 Female 67 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 0%

I read the article. Is there a place online to watch? Sounds much like Atkins with an emphasis on salmon and oolichan grease (what is oolichan???)
  #111   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 09:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

#112   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 11:54

BF:

Thanks Nancy...I have some reading to do

Scotiagirl
  #113   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 11:57

BF:

From the site http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/grease.html

What is Oolichan grease?

Oolichan grease is made from a small smelt-like fish that's rich in monounsaturated fat. Some experts say that it once comprised up to half the energy intake of the Northwest Coastal diet. Dr. Steven Phinney, M.D. Ph. D Professor Emeritus, University of California is a nutritional biochemist. Dr. Jay Wortman consulted with him about issues related to the no carb diet.

Q: Should everyone eat this grease?

Steve Phinney: Well I would worry about advising us all to eat oolichan grease because I don't think there are enough of the fish to go around. But it provides us with a very interesting message from a highly evolved diet. The diet that the people here developed. And as your piece showed, they went to remarkable, to a remarkable extent to extract this oil from a little fish and that implied that they had figured out that this was a better source of oil for them than say oil from sea lions or seals or even from salmon, as the dominant source of oil in their diet. The fact that they picked the oolichan to extract it means that they somehow knew that this was the right mix of fat if you are going to be eating a lot of fat for fuel.

The other unique thing about the mix is because it is very low in polyunsaturates, high in monounsaturates, not only is it well suited for human use but it is also well suited for storage and transport. That is, it is not prone to go rancid in the same way as seal or sea lion oil or grease would. So you could store it in the containers they had. I'm told they had cedar boxes and very tightly woven baskets in which the grease could be stored and they could harvest it over a period of a couple of weeks and then use it for the rest of the year even with some modern things like soybean and corn oils, the staple vegetable oils that we use in our modern diet, aren't storable because, in that way, because the conditions that were available to the people, the indigenous people living here because they would have gone rancid, they would have spoiled and would have tasted terrible.

So oolichan grease was again uniquely suited for use not just by humans but also metabolically, but also was very well suited to be stored and provide a sustained source of fuel for these people throughout the variation in food availability over the course of the year of hunting and fishing.

Q: How does it compare to olive oil?

Steve Phinney: Among the vegetable sources olive oil is the one that is closest in composition to the oolichan grease. In a couple of ways: olive oil is high in monounsaturates and so is oolichan grease.

The other interesting sideline is that I've been told by indigenous healers here that oolichan grease was not only good as a food but also as a material to put on the skin, to treat skin conditions. Things like psoriasis or dandruff and other skin conditions that are caused by inflammation in the skin. This seems a little far fetched that something that is a food would also be a medicinal material but it turns out that oolichan grease is very rich, unusually rich in a not-fat material called squaline.

Q: Squaline.

Steve Phinney: In addition to the fact that it is rich in monounsaturates, which makes it very well suited for human metabolism and also easily, more easily stored, without refrigeration or vacuum sealing, the other very interesting thing about oolichan grease is it is rich in a chemical component called squaline. Squaline is technically not a fat but it is fat soluble. Squaline is highly desirable as a skin conditioner.

Now the local healers here have told us that traditionally they used oolichan grease as a material to be applied to skin conditions like, similar to psoriasis or dandruff and that that would make it go away and it seemed a little far fetched at the start but when we discovered that it contains this squaline that becomes a very reasonable use for this material. Now squaline is, in food, is not a bad thing.

It turns out there is squaline in olive oil, in a more modest quantity than in oolichan grease and also there is squaline in shark liver oil and in other components of shark. So where people use shark in components as a medicinal agent, it is probably due in part to the squaline content in shark products. So it really makes sense that the people here had figured out long ago that this was a unique resource.

Scotiagirl
  #114   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 12:36

Plan: was Atkins, now undecided
Stats: 290/290/160 Female 67 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 0%

By the sounds of it, our taste buds would prefer the olive oil. Thanks for the info!
  #115   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 13:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

In fact, the coastal 1st nations tribes would export the oolichan grease to the interior tribes. The trade routes (trails) from the coast through the coast mtn ranges were called 'grease trails'. One of the first white men to cross the North American continent from east to west was Alexander MacKenzie who reached the Pacific in 1793... 10 years before Lewsi&Clark.

He followed one those grease trails through the mountains to Bella Coola. I guess there was much larger oolichan fishery then than now!
  #116   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 16:35

BF:

http://www.drjaywortman.com/
He mentions the rebroadcast that I watched.

Great site from the Dr. himself.
His wife is pregnant and LCing, having a much more comfortable pregnancy than her last and will deliver soon.

Scotiagirl

Scotiagirl