Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 02:52

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
A priori, the brain can't function properly when it's malnourished.

This brings up a few questions. Can a malfunctioning brain, the person who's brain is malfunctioning because of a deficient diet, nourish himself properly? Learn in school as well as other brains who are properly nourished? Work as well as others? Perform tasks as efficiently? Earn an equal living?

In my opinion, stupid and ignorant people don't do well economically or otherwise. A deficient diet can and will make people stupid and ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
It's a vicious cycle, and improving nutrition especially in children is widely recognized among aid agencies and NGOs as a key requirement to breaking the cycle of poverty.

I do not see how the fact that improving an unhealthy diet can help to change a situation of poverty constitutes an explanation as to the cause of it originally. I do see how poverty caused by anything at all would cause an inadequate diet, unless people are living in a situation where they can grow and hunt all the necessary food. I also see how an inadequate diet could be the cause, but unless it is the only possible cause, it should not be discussed as though it is.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 02:59

BF:
Progress:

[QUOTE=Wyvrn]
Quote:
Diabetes is primarily found in people who can afford extra calories, junk food and a sedentary lifestyle. That would be nearly everyone in the USA, and the middle class in India, which coincidentally is close to the population of the USA.

These are also the people who have access to organised healthcare, where knowledge of the value of early detection of diabetes, and routine testing can be applied, and information about the symptoms can be accessed.

Quote:
The prevalence of diabetes between these populations is at least twice as high for India. And that's assuming that the diagnosis rate in India is as high as it is in the USA, which seems unlikely.

Which you already seem to be aware of in terms of it's relevance to likely diagnosis rates in India.
  #108   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 11:40
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCo
These are also the people who have access to organised healthcare, where knowledge of the value of early detection of diabetes, and routine testing can be applied, and information about the symptoms can be accessed.
Yes, that's exactly my point. That describes both the Indian middle class, and nearly all citizens of the USA. Yet the rate of diagnosed diabetes in India's middle class is twice that of the US. I think it's very likely the rate of undiagnosed diabetes in India is even higher.
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 14:55
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Dietary induction of colonic tumors in a mouse model of sporadic colon cancer.........................The "new Western diet" (NWD) also caused general down-regulation of genes encoding enzymes involved in lipid metabolism and the tricarboxylic acid cycle in colonic epithelial cells before tumor formation, which was prevented by the supplementation of the NWD with calcium and vitamin D(3) that prevented colon tumor development, demonstrating profound interaction among nutrients.................
Just in case anyone isn't aware of what they can do to reduce their risk of colon cancer and before anyone says this isn't relevant to the India population where there is plenty of sunshine click here
  #110   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 17:07
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
[url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18829535][I]The "new Western diet" (NWD) also caused general down-regulation of genes encoding enzymes involved in lipid metabolism and the tricarboxylic acid cycle
Yeah... I'll take hyperinsulinemia for $500, Alex.
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-08, 10:02

BF:
Progress:

[QUOTE=Wyvrn]
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly my point.

The point that I was making with
Quote:

Was a response to this point
Quote:
Diabetes is primarily found in people who can afford extra calories, junk food and a sedentary lifestyle.

Which I was attempting to make clear by quoting that exact part in the first place.

Quote:
That describes both the Indian middle class, and nearly all citizens of the USA. Yet the rate of diagnosed diabetes in India's middle class is twice that of the US. I think it's very likely the rate of undiagnosed diabetes in India is even higher.

I would have thought that the diagnosis rate in India is lower than that in the USA, yes. You could well be right regarding the figures taken from just the wealthier section of the population in India, and the number of diabetics. This however, does not make any difference to the issue of how life expectancy figures are calculated, and the fact that they can be lowered by high infant mortality rates, and high rates of infectious diseases. Based on what I have read in this thread, showing me how certain some people are that diet can dominate a nation's life expectancy rate, and that they actually believe life expectancy figures are a genuine marker of the expected life span of an adult in any given nation, I am wondering if we should just find out which nation has the longest life expectancy figures and all eat whatever they eat.