Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 18:16

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%
Talking A Plane Crazy Workout Log

Ok. I feel like I'm far enough past the beginning that I'll be doing this for a while so I thought I'd start a gym log.

First, a shout out to Built who inspired me, a 40-year-old, to get back into the gym. Yo, Built! Props to you!

Ok, enough of my "street persona."

So, I started out using Built's two-split beginner's workout but with a couple of minor modifications. I'm trying to keep it as much dumbell oriented as possible because we're soon to move into a house and unless I join a gym I won't have access to the machines. I may join a gym, but at least if I'm used to working with dumbells and a bench I have options.

So, Here's Workout 1
Abs
Center Crunches
Right Crunches
Left Crunches
Left Lifts
Reverse situps
Legs
Squats
Leg Extensions
Back
Dumbell Bent over rowing
Front Lat pull down
Shrugs
Biceps
Seated Alternating Curls
Drag Curls

Workout 2 is
Abs
Center Crunches
Right Crunches
Left Crunches
Left Lifts
Reverse situps
Legs
Split Squats
DM straight leg lifts (kill my hamstrings so good!)
Shoulders
Dumbell Lateral Raises
Dumbell Military PressesChest
Incline Dumbell Flys
Incline Dumbell presses (both of these are done laying down since I don't have an incline bench at the moment, just a flat one)
Triceps
Overhead tricept extensions
Dumbell Kickbacks

Tonight I added my cardio/resistance exercise of choice, rowing. I have a really nice Concept2 Model C rowing machine which has, unfortunately, been packed up until today. After today's workout, though, it's not staying packed up.

So, that's the intro to where I'm starting. I worked out last week and a day the week before, so I've been fiddling with the amount of weight and figuring out what gives me a workout without tearing anything.

Well, here I go!

Plane Crazy

Last edited by PlaneCrazy : Mon, Jun-21-04 at 18:23.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 18:51

Thumbs up June 21, 2004

Today was workout 2's turn. I didn't workout over the weekend but I did go bowling last night for the first time since around 1988. For some very strange reason I felt it most in my left glutius maximus. Bizarre.

So, here's today's workout. Started roughly 5:30 pm. Lasted just under an hour.

Workout 2
Abs
Center Crunches = 20
Right Crunches = 20
Left Crunches = 20
Left Lifts = 20
Reverse situps = 10
Legs
Split Squats = 3/8 (three sets of eight) on each side
DM straight leg lifts = 3/8 ~ 15 lbs (dumbell weight each hand)
Shoulders
Dumbell Lateral Raises = 3/8 ~ 15 lbs.
Dumbell Military PressesChest = 3/8 ~ 15 lbs.
Chest
Incline Dumbell Flys = 3/8 ~ 12
Incline Dumbell presses = 3/8 ~ 15
(both of these are done laying down since I don't have an incline bench at the moment, just a flat one)
Triceps
Overhead tricept extensions = 3/8 ~ 12
Dumbell Kickbacks = 3/8 ~ 10 lbs.

Then I came back to the apartment and rowed at a high resistance (8) for fifteen minutes. I rowed 2366 meters in the time. That included a five minute cool-down row.

Evaluation:
I think I'm getting a better idea of the right weights. I also took more time between reps and that definitely helped. Last time the only real places I felt it were my abs (which I feel every time) and my hamstrings so I increased the weights all over.

The weight training felt good, but I'm wondering if I should add a split and focus a little more on my back and chest. I have broad shoulders and I think it helps me to develop my upper body a bit more as it gives me a stronger base to work from. Anyone have any suggestions?

Rowing after the workout was wonderful. Before when I rowed, it always took time for my muscles to get warmed up but this time I was already very warmed up and so it went very well. I had no problem with 15 minutes of sustained, high-resistance rowing. I didn't go fast for most of it, but I did try a few sprints in the middle. It's probably more important to keep some consistancy in stroke for the moment, but it felt good enough I gave myself a couple of sprints.

The rowing machine seems like it will be the perfect foil for the resistance weight training. It really works my biceps, back, chest, gluts and a whole lot of other muscle groups. Click here to read a good article on the biomechanics of rowing. Basically, the article breaks down the movement into the catch, the drive, the finish and the recovery. In each movement some parts of the major muscle groups are being engaged. The biggest advantage of rowing for me as a form of cardio is that it combines resistance with cardio yet is low-impact. I have no problems with joints when rowing. The low-impact is important for someone just starting this kind of activity while still heavy, and/or not as flexible as he used to be. So, I'm excited about adding rowing.

But I have a couple of questions I'm going to pose for the general workout forum if no one answers it here.

Does anyone have suggestions for splitting this out into three splits with adding more chest and shoulders and back? I also have suffered with tendonitis in my achilles tendons and shin splints in my shins. I'd like to strengthen my lower legs to avoid repeated injury, but do it carefully. Any suggestions? Also, am I missing anything important for getting back into shape? Is it ok to just start with this three-days a week with weights and rowing on the same day? Eventually, I'll work up to four days a week and then five, but I think adding another split with other exercises will allow me to develop a routine, make it a habit. "It's Wenesday so I must be doing quads..."

Thanks for reading the ramble, if anyone has gotten this far. I'm going to enjoy this.

Plane Crazy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 21:36
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey there -

You sound like you're doing great.

You could try a three-day split that would be legs, shoulders/chest/triceps, back/biceps if you like. I like a 4-day split, because it's shorter at the gym, but I think I would personally draw the line at a 5-day - you need time to rest and grow.

I don't like to do more than 30 minutes of moderate cardio on lifting days, and even then, only on non-leg days.

Alternative splits:
shoulders, back, hams
quads, calves, chest
biceps, triceps, cardio

Break it up whatever way you like. You'll have to change it after a couple of months when your body gets efficient at it anyway. If you think your body is going to respond in a certain way, well, nobody knows your body like you do - experiment.

And have fun with your progress!

- Built
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 21:54

Thumbs up June 23, 2004

I don't know what happened to my journal entry for this day I wrote yesterday, but I'll write it again, sort of. This time, the executive summary.

Great workout, I'm really starting to feel the strength instead of just tired as I lift. I'm also seeing results even though it's only been just over a week. With my abs I can already get a little higher and get a little closer to my knee when doing side crunches. I also feel the strength coming back into my legs (squats are a little lower), back and biceps. So, here's the workout.

Workout 1
Abs
Center Crunches = 20
Right Crunches = 20
Left Crunches = 20
Left Lifts = 20
Reverse situps = 20
Legs
Squats = 3/8
Leg Extensions = 3/8 at #2 (the machine doesn't have weights, just numbers.)
Back
Dumbell Bent over rowing = 3/8 ~ 20 lbs.
Front Lat pull down = 3/8 at #6
Shrugs = 3/8 ~ 25 lbs.
Biceps
Seated Alternating Curls = 3/8 ~ 20 lbs.
Drag Curls = 3/8 ~ 15 lbs.

Feeling good! It was a rainy, awful day and I didn't get out of work until late and by the time I had a chance to go work out it was already 7:00 and I was hungry, but I munched on a few macadamias, drank some water, changed and went over there. It felt so good to do it, it serves as motivation to continue even on difficult days.

I can now feel muscle becoming defined underneath my skin. And speaking of skin, I can now pinch skin off of my legs whereas before I had more of a sausage thing going. Now I'll just have to fill that loose skin back up with muscle!

As for splits, I think I'm going to keep with workout 2 for Friday, but figure out a three-split workout for starting next week. I'm also moving rowing to Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Working hard and loving it.

Plane Crazy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 21:57

Thumbs up June 24, 2004: rowing

I gave blood today and they said to not workout for 5 hours. Fortunately that was at 10 this morning. So, this evening at 7:00 I rowed for 25 mintues pretty hard and went 4260 meters. It was a good row and I had some sprints in the middle but mainly just a good row at 7.5 resistance.

Today was a little strange in that I kept getting really hungry a couple of hours after eating and I had very few carbs today. I'm hoping it's a sign that a whoosh is coming soon, or I may start to get back into ketosis. We'll see.

Plane Crazy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 19:17

Thumbs up June 25, 2004 - Another good one

Went back to Workout 2 today. I upped weights on several of the exercises and it felt good. I finally found weights that made me almost fail on the last one of each rep. I have a feeling I'll really feel it tomorrow.

I've been ravenous for two days now. I've been eating lots of fat and protein and keeping carbs around 20 or less because I'm trying to get back into ketosis. I hope this is a good sign because I've stopped weighing myself. I just can't get past 211. I'm drinking lots of water and I feel myself gaining muscle, so I'm hoping that I'm loosing fat as I'm gaining muscle. I mean, I actually have a bicep! It's not huge, nor is it totally cut, but it is discernable. That says more about where I'm coming from than where I am. It's only been just over two weeks, but I am seeing progress in that small amount of time. Cool! I'm starting to get to the point of really wanting, looking forward to going over and working out.

So, here's today's workout.
Workout 2
Abs
Center Crunches = 20
Right Crunches = 20
Left Crunches = 20
Left Lifts = 20
Reverse situps = 20
Legs
Split Squats = 3/8 a little further out and deeper than last time.
DM straight leg lifts = 3/8 ~ 20 lbs (dumbell weight each hand)
Shoulders
Dumbell Lateral Raises = 3/8 ~ 20 lbs.
Dumbell Military PressesChest = 3/8 ~ 20 lbs.
Chest
Incline Dumbell Flys = 3/8 ~ 15
Incline Dumbell presses = 3/8 ~ 15 but I should increase next time.
(both of these are done laying down since I don't have an incline bench at the moment, just a flat one)
Triceps
Overhead tricept extensions = 3/8 ~ 15
Dumbell Kickbacks = 3/8 ~ 15 lbs.

Plane Crazy.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 20:12
Registered Member

BF:

Good work! Keep it up!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 18:17

Thumbs up June 26, 2004

Tried a carbup last night and then this morning rode for 45 minutes on high resistance but low intensity. 6819 meters in 45 mintues is pretty slow, but that didn't stop me from feeling the burn. About 20 minutes in I felt I hit a wall, but once through it I felt great. I'm hoping this helps to push me back into ketosis, or at least up my metabolism. I think I've been eating too little. I need to watch what I eat and make sure it's enough.

So far, 13,445 meters rowed in one week at 7.5 resistance.

Rockin on!
Plane Crazy
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 19:45

Question New split plan

This is what I'm looking at for my new three-split workout. Any feedback for other combos let me know. I'm trying to keep it as much non-machine as possible.

Split 1
Abs
Center Crunches
Right Crunches
Left Crunches
Leg Lifts
Reverse sit-ups

Quads
Squats
Dumbbell Step-up

Shoulders
Dumbbell Lateral Raises
Dumbbell Military Presses
Dumbbell Lying Rear Lateral Raise

Split 2
Abs
Center Crunches
Right Crunches
Left Crunches
Leg Lifts
Reverse sit-ups

Chest
Incline Dumbbell Flies
Incline Dumbbell presses
Dumbbell Incline Shoulder Raise

Legs
Split Squats
DM straight leg lifts

Triceps
Overhead triceps extensions
Dumbbell Kickbacks

Split 3
Abs
Center Crunches
Right Crunches
Left Crunches
Left Lifts
Reverse sit-ups

Back
Dumbbell Bent over rowing
Front Lat pull down
Shrugs

Biceps
Seated Alternating Curls
Drag Curls

Calves
Dumbbell Single Leg Calf Raise
Dumbbell Reverse Calf Raise

That's for Monday, Wednesday, Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday I do rowing. On Saturday I collapse. Or, I take Thursday off, and row on Saturday. The problem is that I never know what we're going to do on weekends. I want to keep the workouts to the weekdays as much as possible.

So, any thoughts?

Plane Crazy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 22:23
Registered Member

BF:

Your workouts look good!

Are you carbing up to boost thyroid, or to give you glycogen? My thinking is that you might want to take advantage of the carbup and train like a sonofabitch the next day rather than just try to burn it off doing cardio (which WILL work, of course. It's just I figure you might as well use it to build some muscle, since you've got it.) Really, it just depends on the programme you're trying out.

Just a suggestion - you'll work through what works for you. I just like to take advantage of glycogen when I've got it LOL!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 08:16
Registered Member

BF:

Hi there!

Personally, I don't like to mix resistance with cardio because they tend to fight each other, but that's just a personal preference. I see what you mean now with the rowing, and it might not be a bad idea given the muscle groups involved.

You'll have to fiddle with the carbups. There are several styles, including, but not exhaustively, CKD, TKD, NHE, and other variants on carb cycling. There are somewhat different underlying principals driving these methods - you'll have to experiment to see what fits you.

Have fun!

- Built
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 15:14

Default 6/28/04, 6/29/04

Ok, I'm a little behind in logging what I've been doing. So, here goes.
I started my three-split workout this week.

Split 1
Abs
Center Crunches = 20
Right Crunches = 20
Left Crunches = 20
Left Lifts = 20
Reverse sit-ups = 20

Quads
Squats = 3/8
Dumbbell Step-up = 3/8 (these are great! the bench was just at the height where my quads were parallel to the floor before the step)

Shoulders
Dumbbell Lateral Raises = 3/8 20#
Dumbbell Military Presses = 3/8 20#
Dumbbell Lying Rear Lateral Raise = 3/8 15# (I won't do these again, not enough room under the bench.)

Then on Tuesday I rowed by can't find where I wrote it down. It was 35 minutes.

Plane Crazy
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 15:23

Thumbs up 6/30/04, 7/1/04

Split 2
Abs
Center Crunches = 20
Right Crunches = 20
Left Crunches = 20
Reverse Leg Lifts = 20
Reverse sit-ups = 20

Chest
Incline Dumbbell Flies = 3/8 20#
Incline Dumbbell presses = 3/8 (barely) 25#
Dumbbell Incline Shoulder Raise = 3/8 20# (I didn't like these, I'll find something else)

Legs
Split Squats = 3/8
DM straight leg dead lifts = 3/8 20#

Triceps
Overhead triceps extensions = 3/8 15#
Dumbbell Kickbacks = 3/8 15# (can up next time)

On Thursday I rowed 35 minutes for 5850 meters
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 15:27

Default 7/2/04

Split 3
Abs
Center Crunches = 20
Right Crunches = 20
Left Crunches = 20
Reverse Leg Lifts = 20
Reverse sit-ups = 20

Back
Dumbbell Bent over rowing = 3/8 25#
Front Lat pull down = 3/8 #7 (on machine) Wouldn't mind finding db version
Shrugs = 3/8 30#

Biceps
Seated Alternating Curls = 3/8 25#
Drag Curls = 3/8 20#

Calves
Dumbbell Single Leg Calf Raise = 3/8
Dumbbell Reverse Calf Raise = 3/8
I'm thinking of doing plies and releves (sp?) instead. These ballet moves strengthen not just your lower leg but also foot, arch and works on the smaller supporting muscles as well.

Plane Crazy
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 15:33

Thumbs up 7/05/04 (Monday), 7/06/04 (Tuesday)

Monday I was working on five hours sleep, a long plane flight home and then two hours of dental surgery. I decided to give myself a day off.

Tuesday I did a row of 35 minutes and 6178 meters. I also had an average stroke rate of 19 spm. at #8 resistance. My heart rate got up to around 160-165 for the last half, but came down to 130 during my cool down within less than a minute.

I've also been eating a little dextrose after my workout. I tried it before last Monday and I didn't do too well. Afterwards, I eat three sweet tarts (dextrose) with some protein. Don't know if it helps or not.

Plane Crazy