Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-07, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy F
OK I just made these and will probably eat them all before I go to bed but here's my Q. I used Designer chocolate whey powder and one scoop has 2 carbs. Where is she getting 6 carbs for the total? Splenda is 0 egg is 0 butter is 0 so where do the other 4 carbs come from? The vanilla?

Splenda is NOT zero, there's 24g carb per Cup of the granular Splenda therefore 1.5g per Tbsp. Egg has a trace, I think 0.6g per large, and the vanilla may have a trace as well.

Rounding is used on small servings and all other servings for that matter...rely on good carb counters, not on US FDA (allows zero at <0.5 etc.).

~~later~~ oops, mutual timing on the posting, Kisal!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/CKD Combo
Stats: 290/275/240 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:

These are great!

I made a chocolate and a vanilla batch.

I used Cytosport EvoPro chocolate, which is very low carb, and makes for a great thick shake usually, and thus the resulting donuts came out nice and dense.

The vanilla whey I used was 5 Star protein brand from WalMart, which is another very low carb protein shake, but it's not a thick shake at all, it's the consistancy of milk when mixed normally. The resulting donuts from this powder were very light and airey, and reminded me alot of funnel cake!

The ones made with the thick batter, I have a really good feeling that I would be able to fill them with something, just like a real donut. I have no whipping creme on hand right now but I would definitly try making some fresh whipped creme, with a little splenda and vanilla extract to go inside, and if I were to fill a vanilla donut, just add a little cocoa powder to the whipped creme, which makes a very simple chocolate mouse.

Oh, by the way, I was into bodybuilding well before I discovered low carb diets, and thus I have tasted MANY different protein shakes/powders.

IMO Designer Whey is one of the worst tasting ones available. The only time I use it is the unflavored one for some baking applications.

Cytosport Muscle Milk has to be the absolute best, but it's 12g carbs per serving so I only use it before a workout. EvoPro by Cytosport is damn near close in flavor and texture, but is only 2 grams carbs per serving and as mentioned, worked out great for this recipe.

The six star proteins from walmart taste pretty good too for general useage, and again worked out good for this recipe.

One other one I would try for this that is good and has very little/no aftertaste, is 100% whey by Optimum Nutrition. Comes in a variety of flavors as well which might be interesting to experiment with, and it's pretty low carb also.

Last edited by Goanna : Tue, Feb-06-07 at 15:32.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 12:46

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207.2/162.6/137.0 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 64%

Mmmm, these were good. All I had was some chocolate protein powder. I think I'd prefer plain vanilla though. So glad to have come across this recipe! My BF started to cut out sugars & breads & was missing his beloved donuts & he said these do a good enuff job to curb the craving Last nite when I made them, he said it smelled like he was at a fair, like funnel cakes! LOL
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 21:20

BF:

UPDATE: Tried it with the Vanilla protein & it was awesome!
Yum, yummy!
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 00:52

Plan: my own version
Stats: 167.6/13.6/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 410%

Someone asked way earlier in this thread, but there was never a response. Is it possible to bake these in the mini donut pans? and if so, how long and what temperature?

I try to avoid deep frying or frying much of anything.
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 01:04
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure the instant sealing effect of the hot oil helps to keep these in shape; the batter is pretty soft, it is a batter.

That being said, new LC recipes are only ever created or improved by somebody taking a chance and trying something. Why don't you consider trying baking up a half-batch, if you HAVE a donut pan (I certainly don't)...try the universal temperature of 350F, and until they test dry in the center with a toothpick -- then post the results back here.

Look forward to it!

#82   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 02:56

Plan: my own version
Stats: 167.6/13.6/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 410%

Hmm I might try that this week coming up. Doesn't hurt to try!
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 03:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/168/150 Female 66"
BF:
Progress:

hey guys
i am just starting out and still trying to figure out what i can eat. is the original recipe induction friendly? i know most of its ok, just not sure about the whey protein powder. thanks
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 12:51
Registered Member

Should be fine as long as it's a low carb sugarfree no sugar alcohols such as maltitol etc. protein powder. I've always put very low carb protein powder on MY induction list, whether they were soy or whey.

Have you read through all the posts? It's pretty long, but VERY informative.

#85   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 02:35
Registered Member

Hey y'all; I took another crack at these today (last time I made them, oh at least 2 years ago!, I had so much trouble getting the batter into the oil in one "glob", sheesh).

Well, they worked out pretty well today; very rich but nice and tasty. I think the protein powder you have makes a difference, too.

So, working on the concept that my batter was too thin last time, I doubled the protein powder (2 scoops, and my scoop is .25 C or 60cc) to get a thicker batter, and then added 1 Tbsp of Half-n-Half to thin it just a little bit.

I'm happy with the results! Oh, I used peanut oil, too. Can't STAND the taste of canola.

#86   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 08:27

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Thanks, Atlee, for posting this recipe.

I just tried the recipe and I'm in love with it. The only thing I did different was the type of pan I used and and I served mine with sf raspberry jelly instead.

The pan I used is from Denmark and it's used to make aebleskivor (apple slices), which are a round pancake served with powdered sugar and warm raspberry sauce. Ymmers! The pan I have is castiron and it has seven-2" deep individual wells. I put .75 Tbsp of the batter in each well and fried until the underside was browned. Then I could stick a tooth pick in the center of the little dough ball and flip it over without incident. The result were nice round pancake balls or doughnut holes. Whatever ya want!

Now I can have aebleskivor without a problem.

This recipe is wonderful.
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 14:55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust
Thanks, Atlee, for posting this recipe.

I just tried the recipe and I'm in love with it. The only thing I did different was the type of pan I used and and I served mine with sf raspberry jelly instead.

The pan I used is from Denmark and it's used to make aebleskivor (apple slices), which are a round pancake served with powdered sugar and warm raspberry sauce. Ymmers! The pan I have is castiron and it has seven-2" deep individual wells. I put .75 Tbsp of the batter in each well and fried until the underside was browned. Then I could stick a tooth pick in the center of the little dough ball and flip it over without incident. The result were nice round pancake balls or doughnut holes. Whatever ya want!

Now I can have aebleskivor without a problem.

This recipe is wonderful.

Now isn't that interesting! I made a variation from my homeland called appelflappen (means apple folds in Dutch, I was born in the Netherlands), which is basically a yeast batter (in MY house, anyway), dip in an apple ring, deep fry and serve with powdered sugar. Very tasty. So I cubed up a small apple (peeled, cored), dragged through some of this "donut" batter and fried. VERY nice. Sprinkled with sweetener and cinnamon.

The Dutch version of aebleskivir, though, is called poffertjes ("little puffs"), which have no apple in them that I recall and are little puffy donuts. I really MUST get me one of these pans...

I'm curious about how you used the aebleskivir pan, though. I'm assuming yours is traditional seasoned cast iron, but did you add any butter or oil to the wells before frying?

Ta!

Last edited by IslandGirl : Sun, Feb-11-07 at 15:04.
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 16:26

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Now isn't that interesting! I made a variation from my homeland called appelflappen (means apple folds in Dutch, I was born in the Netherlands), which is basically a yeast batter (in MY house, anyway), dip in an apple ring, deep fry and serve with powdered sugar. Very tasty. So I cubed up a small apple (peeled, cored), dragged through some of this "donut" batter and fried. VERY nice. Sprinkled with sweetener and cinnamon.

The Dutch version of aebleskivir, though, is called poffertjes ("little puffs"), which have no apple in them that I recall and are little puffy donuts. I really MUST get me one of these pans...

I'm curious about how you used the aebleskivir pan, though. I'm assuming yours is traditional seasoned cast iron, but did you add any butter or oil to the wells before frying?

Ta!

Hi,

The pan I am using looks almost exactly like the one in the picture and is made in Sweden. I had to examine it as I have borrowed it from my MIL. My pan doesn't have the extra little handle and is heavy cast iron. I have seen other pans like this in Denmark, but the wells are deeper and narrower.

I used oil in the wells, because I hadn't used this pan before and I wasn't familiar with the recipe. Those little doughnut holes sure sucked up the fat, but didn't taste fatty at all. I had no problem with sticking. After the doughnut holes fried for a couple minutes, I started checking the bottom side for browning. Once they were golden brown, I just stuck a toothpick in them and flipped them over and browned the other side. Very easy! The result was a very tastey treat. They are a bit spongier than the real thing, but very good and worth making again and again and ...oh, well, you get the picture.

Now I need to try them with the cinnamon and splenda.

Happy "appelflappen" making. (They sound really good, too.)
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 10:37

BF:

Omg, these are addicting!
I just can't wait till I get some lc choc. chips
so I can melt them & drizzle over these
little yummy donuts!
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 18:10
Registered Member

So I found me a pan (I have LOTS of kitchenalia!), an old one that had shallow wells in it that looked right for aebleskivir/poffertjes, though it wasn't cast iron. I decided to give the no-DEEP-frying thing a go, with this pan and with this recipe with only a tweak or two.

A couple of drops of oil, maybe just under a 1/4 tsp, in each "cup", preheated the oven, mixed up a double batch of this batter (which filled each cup about 3/4 full) and off I went. BTW, I really don't know how much less oil that works out to in the end, compared to deep frying, or even if it IS less...the only way to check that is to measure the oil precisely before deepfrying and then again after, and note the difference. Sigh. Too much for me to even think about.

Here are the results:

Anyways, they worked out rather better tasting than they look; they did puff up, but most of them fell when I took it out. I didn't have to turn them over (probably the high fat content encourages browning, as does protein). I've tried them both ways, Danish style aebleskivir with a bit of low carb jam in the little hollow -- raspberry, VERY nice -- and Dutch style with a sprinkle of "sugar" and cinnamon, also VERY edible. These are my breakfast for the next little while...so 6 breakfasts or desserts out of this recipe, doubled. Not bad!

Two things I'd do differently: I'd turn down the temp from 400F to about 375F, and I reduced the added sweetener just a bit to 1/2 Tbsp (I had added some liquid SugarTwin, 1 Tbsp, to the base recipe in addition to the sweetener already listed). These took about 10M at 400F; they make take a little longer at 375F but still need to be watched.

Last edited by IslandGirl : Mon, Feb-12-07 at 18:16.