Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 08:02
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default ‘Fat shaming’ obese people may actually cause them to gain weight, a study suggests

‘Fat shaming’ obese people may actually cause them to gain weight, a study suggests

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...4a37_story.html

Quote:
Harassing obese people, a practice known as “fat shaming,” does not encourage them to lose weight and can actually result in weight gain, a new study from the United Kingdom suggests.

In the study, nearly 3,000 adults were asked whether they had faced discrimination because of their weight, including whether they had been harassed, treated with less respect, received poor service at restaurants and stores or been treated as if they were not smart. “Negative attitudes toward obese individuals remain one of the ‘last socially acceptable forms of prejudice,’ ” the study authors wrote.

About 5 percent of respondents said they had experienced such fat shaming. Over a four-year period, those who reported weight discrimination gained about two pounds, on average, while those who did not lost about 1.5 pounds. [11 Surprising Things That Make Us Gain Weight]

“Our study clearly shows that weight discrimination is part of the obesity problem and not the solution,” Jane Wardle, director of the Cancer Research UK Health Behaviour Centre at University College London, said in a statement. “Many obese patients report being treated disrespectfully by doctors because of their weight. Everyone, including doctors, should stop blaming and shaming people for their weight and offer support and, where appropriate, treatment,” Wardle said.

Weight discrimination has been linked to behaviors that can lead to weight gain, such as comfort eating (or eating energy-dense foods), said study researcher Sarah Jackson, also of University College London.

Obese people are often harassed by doctors, restaurants and others, which may lead to comfort eating. (Timothy A. Clary/AFP/Getty Images)

Fat shaming may also make people feel less confident about engaging in physical activity, “so they tend to avoid it,” Jackson said.

The study found only an association, so it does not prove that weight discrimination causes weight gain. But the findings agree with previous research.

A study published last year found that people who are not obese who experience weight discrimination are 2.5 times as likely to become obese a few years later as are those who do not experience weight discrimination.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 08:13

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Why is this study not at all difficult to believe? Why would people think that shaming would do anything but cause further stress for the recipient? Especially if they are eating what everyone tells them in healthy and it just makes them gain? Crazy making, all of it.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 10:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This won't stop those who believe fatness is a measure of morality.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 10:45
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
This won't stop those who believe fatness is a measure of morality.
... nor those who believe thinness is a measure of superiority
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 12:07

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

People suck.

And

They never change, this study is common sense but if it opens peoples eyes to the issue it might be worth the paper it is printed on .

I however, do not hold my breath :-(
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 12:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

This just makes me so sad.

I feel like my spouse does this and I can't make him stop. While he is not a blatant fat shamer, he has "thin superiority" big time.

Very much impacting me and must be the reason I always go in the opposite direction of what I really want to do....
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 12:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - Hybrid Induction
Stats: 230/205/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I can see the logic behind this study.

I actually catch myself passing judgement onto people who are overweight! It's completely unintentional and I am making an honest effort to curb this mindset. I was once overweight, I struggled with it my whole life, and can think of a few times when I dealt with negative attitudes due to my weight.
I believe it stems from the fact that losing the weight was so easy once I started this WOE.

Now that I'm getting down to my goal weight, and no longer rate as "obese" I find it difficult not to think about how easy it was for me to lose it and wonder (unfairly) why more people don't try the same WOE? But I have to constantly remind myself that everyone is different and there are a whole host of factors that I'm not privy to.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 13:08

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswood

I actually catch myself passing judgement onto people who are overweight! It's completely unintentional and I am making an honest effort to curb this mindset. I was once overweight, I struggled with it my whole life, and can think of a few times when I dealt with negative attitudes due to my weight.
I believe it stems from the fact that losing the weight was so easy once I started this WOE.

Now that I'm getting down to my goal weight, and no longer rate as "obese" I find it difficult not to think about how easy it was for me to lose it and wonder (unfairly) why more people don't try the same WOE? But I have to constantly remind myself that everyone is different and there are a whole host of factors that I'm not privy to.

Guilty as well of this. I think for me its more frustration when people complain that they are overweight. I try to tell them about this WOE but its always the same response "It's too hard..I could never give up...". Then stop complaining and be fat. It's your choice.

Yes, I realize that there is way more too it than that - I've been there.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 15:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90805080752.htm

Quote:
Social Stress Linked To Harmful Fat Deposits, Heart Disease

A new study done by researchers at Wake Forest University School of Medicine shows that social stress could be an important precursor to heart disease by causing the body to deposit more fat in the abdominal cavity, speeding the harmful buildup of plaque in blood vessels, a stepping stone to the number one cause of death in the world.
The findings could be an important consideration in the way the United States and other Western countries try to stem the rapid rise of obesity, said Carol A. Shively, Ph.D., a professor of pathology and the study's principal investigator.
The study appears as the cover story of the current issue of Obesity.
"We are in the midst of an obesity epidemic," Shively said. "Much of the excess fat in many people who are overweight is located in the abdomen, and that fat behaves differently than fat in other locations. If there's too much, it can have far more harmful effects on health than fat located in other areas."
She notes that obesity is directly related to lower socioeconomic status in Western societies, as is heart disease. So, the people who have fewer resources to buffer themselves from the stresses of life are more likely to experience such health problems, she said.
In this study of how the stress of low social status affects the development of heart disease, female monkeys were fed a Western-style diet containing fat and cholesterol. The monkeys were housed in groups so they would naturally establish a pecking order from dominant to subordinate. Subordinate monkeys are often the target of aggression and aren't included in group grooming sessions as often as dominant monkeys.
Shively and colleagues Thomas C. Register, Ph.D., and Thomas B. Clarkson, D.V.M., all faculty of the Department of Pathology, Section on Comparative Medicine at the School of Medicine, found that these socially stressed subordinate monkeys developed more fat in the viscera, or abdominal cavity.
The researchers found that the stress of social subordination results in the release of stress hormones that promote the deposition of fat in the viscera. Visceral fat, in turn, promotes coronary artery atherosclerosis, the buildup of plaque in the blood vessels that leads to heart disease, the leading cause of death in the world today.
What is striking about that relationship, Shively said, is that women and female monkeys have a natural protection against heart disease – women typically develop heart disease, on average, 10 years later than men do. That protection seems to be lost when stress and visceral fat increase. Researchers found that the monkeys with high social stress and larger amounts of visceral fat also had ovaries that produced fewer protective hormones.
"Suppressed ovarian function is a very serious condition in a woman," Shively said. "Women who are hormone-deficient will develop more atherosclerosis and be at greater risk of developing coronary heart disease and other diseases such as osteoporosis and cognitive impairment."
Women whose bodies are not producing adequate amounts of hormones won't necessarily know it, Shively said. The researchers found that low hormone production doesn't always lead to fewer menstrual cycles. To diagnose serious health problems in obese women, doctors would have to investigate hormone levels.
"We need to take a closer look at the ovarian function of obese women," Shively said. "They might not be producing enough hormones to maintain adequate health."
The study's results also reinforce basic health advice, she said: watch what you eat, exercise regularly, and try to manage the stress in your life.

Given the effect of low estrogen on fat mass in women, there's sort of a possibility here of obesity (non-visceral, that is) and insulin resistance being paired, without one causing the other, at least not directly. Could insulin resistance cause low estrogen, and that cause weight gain?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 16:55
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 272/257/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswood

The problem is the entire medical industry + popular culture is telling them that low fat, calories in == calories out is *the* only way to lose weight, which of course doesn't always work.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-14, 00:17
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I had a lot of opinions about fat people when I was lean.

After becoming one and seeing how the (typical LF-diet) did zip for me -- nor had it for any of my (also lipedemic) family members, I started getting a little more reasonable about it.

When I eventually became supersized I felt more like a victim of it and kinda thought getting hugely fat might have been just a little bit of karmic reward, having grown up in the performing arts, which tend to be the most horrifically judgmental about that.

When I started losing a lot of weight fast on LC, I thought that was obviously the answer, so if only everyone else had my religion -- er, diet -- er, eating plan -- all the world's obesity problems would be solved.

When the weight loss stalled and my body started having other serious issues, and I wasn't doing things any differently than I had been to begin with, then I saw what it was like, to have people go "You're just not doing it right" or "You must be eating too many almonds" or the other typical BS that I myself likely foisted off on anybody for whom LC was not the way, the truth and the light.

I think I have finally become much more decent about how I judge -- or don't -- others.

25 years later.

Fighting bias is not easy.

PJ
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-14, 05:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Something I've seen Gary Taubes talk about--I think after one of his lectures after he wrote How We Get Fat-- is the danger that, if the studies went the right way, and the Carbohydrate hypothesis became as entrenched as the low-fat, calories in/calories out thingum did in the past--instead of looking at obese people and saying--well, look what they did to themselves--gluttony and sloth--people would assume they were gorging themselves on carbs. That we'd just start blaming anybody whose obesity didn't simply resolve with a low carbohydrate diet, still blame the victim, just with a slightly different accusation. I think it's fair to think that a low carb diet might help somebody--just as if you knew somebody with epilepsy or cancer, it would be fair to think that a ketogenic diet might help them. Just like with the epilepsy and cancer, you really can't know for certain whether and to what extent a person's issues will resolve with the diet, though.

Atkin's fat fast for the extremely metabolically resistant--the plan went, one week of 1000 calories, ninety percent fat, then a week of induction, then back to the fat fast... he didn't think the science was there to safely advise people to do longer term fat fasts. But even the induction diet... done right, by my reading, it's no different from nutritional ketosis. He doesn't spell out protein/fat ratios, but he has people measuring ketones (by the only method available to him at the time). And in DANDR, he reminds readers that two thirds of protein can be made into glucose and only ten percent of fat (the glycerol fraction). I have little doubt he would have been right on that blood ketone meter thing, if he'd had the chance. Induction was designed to replace the two day fast that earlier low-carb diets had been initiated with (I think Donaldson's was?) and Atkins called it a diet that was "effectively" zero-carb.

So essentially-if my reading of Atkins is correct--for metabolically resistant people, what we now call Nutritional Ketosis (tm), interspersed with 1000 calorie Nutritional Ketosis Extreme. I'm not sure how you can read that recommendation and go on blaming the victim, even if you're a card-carrying member of the ketogenic cult, as I am. Even if we ignore everything but insulin and carbohydrate. If you accept that, by ruining ketosis, very small amounts of carbohydrate can prevent weight loss on a low carbohydrate diet--and some of the therapeutic benefits of the diet that depend on ketosis itself--well, this pretty much predicts that some people might not get there, however draconian the dietary measures taken. Because the less dietary carbohydrate or protein it takes to prevent ketosis, the smaller the bump in glucose production from endogenous sources it should take to preserve glucose metabolism/prevent ketosis.

I think the only thing really wrong with the Insulin hypothesis is that people want to stop there. I'm also not crazy about calling it the Master Hormone. Yes, remove insulin, and fat can't sustain itself. With an insulin-centric view of things, people will say, leptin deficiency makes people/animals fat because when leptin/leptin signalling is deficient, insulin goes up. Which is fine. But who's the master here? The first cause described here is the low leptin, not the insulin. Other things that could happen--high glucocorticoids, and other counter hormones that raise glucose--forcing the pancreas to increase insulin production to keep blood glucose from getting too high. Maybe the insulin causes the obesity--but what made the insulin go up, here? Carbohydrate drives insulin drives obesity would be more correctly stated "Carbohydrates and other stuff that drives insulin drives obesity."
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-14, 07:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Just like with the epilepsy and cancer, you really can't know for certain whether and to what extent a person's issues will resolve with the diet, though.

Exactly. I am a living example of that. I love LC for many things, but it hasn't exactly been a weight loss miracle for me. I've done the Jimmy Moore experiment but that didn't really do anything for me either. I've tried just about every variation on the theme, but it still remains that the only that works for me is to cut calories AND carbs.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-14, 09:30

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

There is the other side of the argument. I mean, without SOME kind of societal judgements, what is the baseline for normal? If being fat was about nothing but aesthetics, I'd be far more likely to say that it doesn't matter. But we all know the rash of health problems that come with being obese. I wince every time I hear about how healthy an overweight person claims to be, because I'm imagining both the ongoing internal damage being done, and the number of issues I personally thought were "normal" until they were gone. Not that thin people can't be unhealthy as well, but that's a completely different issue.

Schools today are a good place to see where it's going wrong. I was "fat" in the 80s because I was maybe 20 pounds overweight. Today? I would be seen as normal. I see morbidly obese cheerleaders or girls flaunting the rolls pouring out over their too-tight and too-low jeans, taunting thinner girls for not having enough "junk in the trunk" or whatever. Where do we balance hurting their feelings with teaching them that carrying an extra 50-100 pounds around is a recipie for future pain and illness? I don't like that it has become acceptable, but don't really know the answer.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-14, 10:52

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
Schools today are a good place to see where it's going wrong. I was "fat" in the 80s because I was maybe 20 pounds overweight. Today? I would be seen as normal. I see morbidly obese cheerleaders or girls flaunting the rolls pouring out over their too-tight and too-low jeans, taunting thinner girls for not having enough "junk in the trunk" or whatever. Where do we balance hurting their feelings with teaching them that carrying an extra 50-100 pounds around is a recipe for future pain and illness? I don't like that it has become acceptable, but don't really know the answer.

I have the tall but tiny, 80 lb 8th grader who eats but just can't carry much weight at all. She is a hard core athlete who burns every calorie she manages to consume. I have witnessed FAMILY members who are overweight and have somewhat overweight children who imply that there is something wrong with my daughter to her face. They make sure their kids feel "normal" by painting my child as the unhealthy minority. Granted mine is on the super-thin side of the scale and is monitored by her doctor to make sure she doesn't fall into an unhealthy range but really. She hates the fact that she is painted as a freak, often times by people in school as mentioned. She also can't wear leggings, jeggings or yoga pants to school; not because they are inappropriate on her, but because they are inappropriate for the overweight children. Being overweight, I see both sides of the coin. I don't agree with shaming, but this politically correct world in which we live has moved from "anything goes" to "the majority is right and the minority is wrong" and it's just a sliding scale. There is no normal. Normal is a moving target.