Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 17:33

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 150/150/115 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default [Montignac] So far, so good

I know this forum doesn't get much traffic, but I wanted to start a thread so that I could track my progress. The first thing I've noticed with this WOE, is that my after-meal stomach problems seem to be going away. I usually feel bloated after eating. I've lost four pounds, and plan to stick with this. I love my fruit, and don't plan on giving it up anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 07:58

BF:

I have had a chance to finish reading Michel Montignac’s book, and have a few thoughts. First of all, you don’t need to buy any of his supplements or sign up for his website. All you need is his book, not the Americanized version by a different author. I can plainly see that this is where Suzanne Somers stole all her ideas from. Shame on her. But she did make it more palatable for American tastes, so if you are unfamiliar with the French way of eating you may do better with her books.

The diet has two phases: phase one for losing weight, and phase two for maintaining your new weight. Phase one will look very familiar to low carbers. Only low glycemic vegetables are allowed, with the addition of raw carrots and dried beans such as lentils, split peas, and white beans. Fruit can be eaten raw before a meal, or cooked after a meal, so long as it was cooked without sugar. You will combine your foods on this diet. Proteins and fats are only to be eaten with vegetables and whole dairy products. Carbohydrates are to be eaten with only fat free dairy products and vegetables. You can also add sugar free jam to your carbohydrate meals.

Now this is where the diet differs from Somersizing and gets very French. Where as Somersizing is more high fat, high protein, Montignac puts his emphasis on lower fat, lower protein. You are to eat a low fat carbohydrate breakfast most days of the week, and for three or four dinners a weeks. Lunch should be your heaviest meal of the day, so this is where you’ll have most of your protein/fats meals. If you have a more cholesterol intense meat for lunch (like beef or pork), he recommends having poultry, fish, or just grains for dinner.

His meal plans are written with a Frenchman in mind, and this is where an American can get into big trouble. His lunches and dinners are given in courses. First course is raw veggies or a light soup, second course is usually meat with vegetables, third course is salad, fourth is cheese. The portions for these courses are French. In other words, soup would be about ½ cup, veggies would be about 1 cup with three to four ounces of meat, then about 1cup of salad, followed by and ounce of cheese. There is to be no snacking between meals. Now, he doesn’t come out and give you portion sizes, but that’s what is implied and my French grandmother has confirmed. That’s how she eats, and she’s been skinny as a rail her whole life.

I’ll write more about phase two when I get there. If all this seems like too much bother, I recommend trying Somersizing instead. As I come from a French background, I feel right at home with Montignac. I will report back later on my progress.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 10:51
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I didn't realize Montignac and Somersize were similiar. I tried to buy his book some time ago but could not find an English version anywhere!

Thanks for the info.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 09:25

Plan: Mostly Atkins
Stats: 147/134/120 Female 65
BF:24/21
Progress: 48%

Hello, I am new to this forum and I just bought the montignac plan (and I hadn't heard much about it yet) so I am happy to see that it is working for you! Good job! Is it hard to stick to? Mine should be arriving early next week.....
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-05, 12:03

BF:

It's not hard once you get the food combining down, and I think it's a lot healthier than somersizing. Be forewarded, Montignac makes sure you know every scientific detail about his Method which can make for some dull reading. But, I've lost most of my weight now so it's worth it. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-05, 13:57

Plan: Mostly Atkins
Stats: 147/134/120 Female 65
BF:24/21
Progress: 48%

How long have you been on it? If I may ask? Thats wonderful for you....for my build I dont look "big" at all which is strange for 147lbs on 5'5'' but I am used to being that small so I'd like to get back...
What are your fav foods on Montignac? I'd like to start this weekend (I've been good yesterday & today) but I haven't received my plan yet!
Thank you for your quick response
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 07:19

BF:

I started in April, and so far I've lost about 15lbs. I actually use his guidelines with somersizing recipies, as all his recipies (at least in the book I have, Eat Yourself Slim), are very French and not appealing to me. He allows for white beans and lentils to be combined with his protein meals, so I'll often have raost chicken, a small serving of lentils, and a vegetable for dinner. He explains his Method in great detail, and implores you to be very strict until you reach your goal weight.

I really enjoy his Method, as I think it allows you the most food choices of any low carb diet. Post back here every so often and let me know how you're doing. Good Luck!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 21:40

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 192/175/150 Female 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 40%

I started Montignac a year ago and lost over 20 pounds last summer. This past semester I slagged and gained a couple pounds back. I'm trying to get back into the groove but I need some ideas for packing montignac lunches. Eating Montignac is easy when you have the time to prepare meals, but a bit more tricky on the go (unless you have montignac leftovers!).
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 04:24
empress of fashion

BF:

I am starting this today! Lentils are soaking as we speak.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 07:17
empress of fashion

BF:

Hey - I just had a thought. Would any of you be interested in posting menus? It would be helpful to me to see what you are eating while I still try to get the hang of this. I'd appreciate any critiquing of my menus, too.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 07:58

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I am curious if any of you guys still on Montignac and how that was going...

thanks
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 07:56

Plan: VLC
Stats: 230/157.8/155 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'm actually about to start Montignac. I've done it in the past with great success and am now going to do it not for weight loss but for maintaining my weight and feeling better! I guess this board gets hardly any traffic!

If you want to know more, don't hesitate to ask!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 14:34

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

yes not much traffic in there...ive been so busy here working at school and all i dont even have time to read anymore..anyhow...how is this diet going for you? its basically like suzanne somer but the french way or european way...suzanne somer is more american style

where are you in UK...my husband is from there and moved here to canada about 7yrs ago...just curious...

ciao
helene
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 15:29

Plan: VLC
Stats: 230/157.8/155 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi Helene,

I'm actually in London, but moving away half an hour north of there soon.
I haven't been doing Montignac too long, but so far I've maintained my weight, which is what I set out to do.

How about you? Do you do the diet?

xx, Chloe.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 15:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 256/252/170 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:

Hey,
am I stupid? I do not understand your quote Iowa girl.! Would you clue me in? Thank you