Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 13:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 141/125/120 Female 57 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Angry Whiteheads - Oh No!!

Hi - I've been doing low carb off and on since before Dr Atkins wrote his first book. Therefore, I've been able to keep my weight within 15 lbs of goal and I'm closer to 70 yrs than to 60 yrs. My reason for writing is that last year around this time I started Atkins again and around that same time I developed whiteheads and still have them. I'm wondering if the diet could have anything to do with whiteheads. Of course, at my age, one can expect anything.

Any ideas how to get rid of them short of plastic surgery? Thanks!

Carol *8)

Last edited by Carols : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 13:32.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 17:24

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

Whiteheads = acne?? If so I wouldnt think it would be related to the diet - I have had a huge improvement in the clarity of my skin since ditching sugar, and I think most people find the same thing.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 11:57

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Where?

When I eat high carb, I get "bumps" on my forehead. They completely disappear on LC, and started to come back two weeks ago when I was eating lots of nuts, which is a convincer for me.

I get a different form of whitehead around my mouth, which I think is related to vitamins. Some vitamins can be excreted through the skin.

Not supposed to admit it, but I'm a squeezer. Might be late to start. What'd you do when you were 15?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 17:22

BF:

What'd you do when you were 15?

LOL Well, let me think - that was a long time ago. Would you believe that we had X-ray treatments for acne? Would lay under an Xray machine for at least 1/2 hour at least once a week. Its a wonder any of us are still alive let alone worrying about whiteheads

The last several days, I've been scrubbing my face with liquid soap and salt several times a day. I think it may be working.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 19:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/169/160 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 10%

I saw a post recently on one of the other forums where the writer referred to what she called cholesteral (sp?) deposits. Are they around your eyes? I'm 60+ and my dermatologist called those "milia" and said it was just something going on in my body. He cut them out. They recur occasionally and disappear on their own. Curious now and may go surfing at the medical sites - but I believe it could be caused by a change in diet.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 06:18

BF:

Suds, glad you mentioned cholesterol deposits. My father had those awful things in the corners of his eyes in his 60's and 70's. I had one in one eye but it went away by itself, almost completely. I have these very small hard bright white lumps mostly on the sides of my nose and chin - acne areas. I really wonder if they aren't related to diet. Maybe this old body isn't processing cholesteral well anymore. Hmmmmm???
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 16:33
Registered Member

Stats: 239/217/175 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Well I am breaking out as well. Mine is for sure acne on my face. White heads and or red pimples. On my forehead, chin and side of face near ears. A few on my back and chest as well. I haven't had this in a few years. I am 25 now and I was probably a teenager last time I remember acne.

If you figure out Carols any solution that helps you I would love for you to share.

Does liquid soap and salt really work? If so, how much salt do you use?

Thanks,
Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 19:01

BF:

Hi Kathy, sounds like you have a case of acne. That doesn't seem to be fair to have to go thru that twice

The liquid soap and salt seems to be working for my whiteheads, at least my skin is smoother. I put about 2 pumps of liquid soap on my left fingers, pour 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt on top of the soap. Run my right fingers under the faucet then rub fingers together to mix the soap and salt. Then rub it on your face with a bit of pressure but with very little vigor. If you have any open acne, the salt could really burn so if that happens, rinse immediately. Good luck! ......Carol *8)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 09:15

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Detox?

My vitamin/natural healing-oriented MD had me on a bottle of detox pills, supposed to support my liver in clearing toxins. I wasn't convinced, and when the bottle ran out, I didn't get another. Three days later, major zit; on my chin where it won't be hidden. Dang. Haven't had anything like this in years.

Went to the grocery store and bought some Benzoyl Peroide; $5.00/tube. Emergency; I have a big show on Friday and I don't want to look nasty. Got home. Box was empty. Some kid must have shoplifted the medicine.

Used some 2% salicilic acid I have in the house; it's helping.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 09:32

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%

Wow, do you happen to know which vitamin it is that causes breakouts around your mouth? That seems to be the main place I get them and I take a handful of vitamins every day.

The only thing I've found that works on my pimples/acne is prescriptions: Minocycline mixed with good old fashioned birth control pills, and a dab of differin gel rubbed on skin every night.
If yours is mild over the counter things might work. Some people really like ProActiv (sp?) but I'm allergic to it.

Good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 13:11
Registered Member

Stats: 239/217/175 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Well thanks everyone.

Carols - thanks for the salt and liquid salt method. I will start by giving this a try and see how it goes.

I remember trying different creams and stuff as a teenager and my face would get so dried out and would peel. I really don't want this to happen again. Unless creams and things have changed in the last few years.

Really funny thing..laugh..you start to gain confidence again cause you are losing weight and you loose it again as your face breaks out..laugh oh well. I think I will take the face problem over the weight. Makeup can do wonders if need be for special occasions.

Thanks everyone,
Kathy
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 17:42
Registered Member

Stats: 313/300/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Is there redness along with the acne? Especially on the nose, cheeks, and/or forehead? It could be rosacea.

I have had rosacea for 13 years - stress makes mine much, much worse, and LC has made it somewhat better (everyone's triggers are different). It will never completely go away, though.

If it doesn't clear up, see a dermatologist - using harsh soaps and scrubs will actually make it worse.

Good luck!
Sue