Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 20:12
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default information about cytomel

When I went to my new thyroid dr over a year ago I felt the best I'd ever felt thyroid wise. Happy, oily skin, mental energy. She immediately thought I must have high reverse T3, I took a high amount of medication and my numbers were high but no high symptoms.

Perimenopause struck, I felt awful and finally agreed to switch to cytomel. Felt better. I was really reluctant to take the medication as prescribed 4x a day, all those times during the day. I just took it twice/day. Then my cytomel dose was increased still taking it twice/day instead of 4x per day as prescribed. I also take 2.5 grains of armour.

I eventually stopped taking cytomel, I've never really been committed to taking it since I felt so good before. That didn't work anymore.

Here's what I'm not clear on:
On cytomel my armour dosage is decreased. My AM temp is about 97.0, it quickly rises after I take the cytomel and tops at 98.7 in the evening. Normally a low AM temp would be a hypo symptom. Is it different when your on cytomel?

I have diarrhea on cytomel. I was just reading the pharmacy pamphlet and it listed that as too high a dosage problem. Is this because I'm cramming it into 2 dosages in the morning and early afternoon?

Pretty often I skip the 2nd dose if I forget until evening to take it. I'm thinking it doesn't really matter since it doesn't build up in my system. Is this true or false?

The one time I took cytomel in the evening I couldn't sleep. I wasn't sure if I should base my opinion to never take it after 5pm on one experience or if that's a common side -effect.

Can all this be avoided by taking time-release?

Thanks, I'm just so confused. Wish I could go back in time and just never start on cytomel.
Sponsored Links