Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What are your Cholesterol Results?
Great -HDL, LDL and Triglycerides all better 72 51.80%
Better but no major changes 21 15.11%
No change 4 2.88%
Results were worse than before 42 30.22%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

#31   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 13:23
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

My numbers got worse, but after reading posts here, I have decided to stick with for a few more months and see what happens then.

Before LC
3/19/04
Total 215 (This is what my total has been for probably the last 10-15 years)
HDL 71
LDL 125
Trig. 94

4 months after
7/19/04
Total 273
HDL 69
LDL 173
Trig. 153

My triglycerides went up, and so did my LDL. My doctor wanted me to stop LC or go on medication. I talked her into letting me continue LC, and check my cholesterol again at the end of Oct, which will be 7 months after starting LC, and 3 months after the last results. I hope the numbers start to go down, as other people have reported for themselves.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 01:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%

I waited a full year before having my blood re-check, and I am glad I did. Dr. was thrilled with weight loss, improved hDL and lower BP.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-04, 08:37
Registered Member

Stats: 240/170/140 Male 5ft8in
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonnovich
My weight is down, I'm feeling great but still getting a lot of grief from family members about the long term effects of LCing. Mainly that I am clogging my arteries with all this fat.

I am really interested to see other peoples cholesterol results. I have had 2 appointments so far to have blood work done and have not been able to keep these appointments. I am currently rescheduled for July 3 and determined not to let other commitments get in my way.

Anyone out there want to share their results? Good or bad.

Thanks

Vonnovich

My results were bad on the atkins I took my blood test agian because I ate before I took them but It was still high. I went frrom and ldl of 94 to an ldl of 180. I recomend DO the atkins but restrict your fat!!. I am restrictng my fat and my ldl should go down. I am eating leaner meats. I totaly love the atkins diet but there are a lot of people in the world who are fat sensitive. If your Ldl goes up I would either go on the atkins and eat leaner meats or go to south beach. But I would perfer the atkins!! Also if your at a risk of heart disease I would not do the atkins cause more researsch has to be done!! If youi are at risk for heart disease DO atkins but a low fat way. It really isnt that bad just get lean cuts of meat and put it on the george forman frill and thats going to get rid of the fat. So Make sure your ldl goes down on the atkins. Even though there is no studies that prove that if your ldl is high you can get heart disease you can die of a heart attack easier than someone who has low ldl and high hdl. My parents are both doctors and they are in the atkins and say that its a good diet for the heart. Just be carefull and make sure you get your blood test frequently!!!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 15:09

Stats: 235/223/195 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins & Cholesterol

Before Atkins My TC was 282 LDL 212 TriG 51 after 6 months on high fat Atkins TC 230, LDL 154 TriG 56 , I lost about 20 pounds. Anyway my cardiologiust said not to worry half the folks who have heart attacks have low to normal cholesterol and statins have only proved to help people wuth existing CVD and statins dont prevent CVD in healthy people
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 15:18

Stats: 235/223/195 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default If your not hypercholesterolemic dont worry be happy

That is if your TC is over 350 its a problem. There is a lot of contradictory evidence against the Lipid theory. The problem is mainstream medicine has been bought by large pharmacopia. There are so many conflicts of interest. Did you know that the NCEP guidelines were decided by 9 doctors 8 of which had direct ties to large pharmaceutical money!!! There is not one RCT that shows a low saturated fat diet or lowering cholesterol prevents heart disease. Furthermore ALL STATINS in their RCTS reduced CHD events for 1.5% to 3% except the 4S which had the best result of 6% absolute risk reduction of CHD all the others including the HPS showed weak benefit to no benefit and several RCT showed highed mortality on statins due to cancers, infectious disease and violence. The Phamaceutical Corporations report the results in relative risk reduction which is a meaningless number and meant just to seel their drugs.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 21:53

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornman48
Anyway my cardiologiust said not to worry half the folks who have heart attacks have low to normal cholesterol and statins have only proved to help people wuth existing CVD and statins dont prevent CVD in healthy people

Well, nice to see at least one cardiologist admit it!!!!!!!!!!

I go see my reg doc next month, will again refuse statins.