Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-21, 11:25

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Food myths busted: dairy, salt and steak may be good for you after all

Quote:
Food myths busted: dairy, salt and steak may be good for you after all

A new Swedish study says decades of official dairy wisdom is wrong. Here, a nutrition expert examines more science that questions standard health advice

Over the past 70 years the public health establishment in Anglophone countries has issued a number of diet rules, their common thread being that the natural ingredients populations all around the world have eaten for millennia – meat, dairy, eggs and more – and certain components of these foods, notably saturated fat, are dangerous for human health.

The consequences of these diet ordinances are all around us: 60% of Britons are now overweight or obese, and the country’s metabolic health has never been worse.

Government-led lack of trust in the healthfulness of whole foods in their natural forms encouraged us to buy foods that have been physically and chemically modified, such as salt-reduced cheese and skimmed milk, supposedly to make them healthier for us.

The grave effects of this relatively recent departure from time-honoured eating habits comes as no surprise to those of us who never swallowed government “healthy eating” advice in the first place, largely on evolutionary grounds.

Is mother nature a psychopath? Why would she design foods to shorten the lifespan of the human race?

And time is vindicating. This bankrupt postwar nutrition paradigm is being knocked for six, time and again, by up-to-date, high quality research evidence that reasserts how healthy traditional ingredients and eating habits are.

Dairy
Pass the cheese … dairy fats can lower your risk of cardiovascular disease

The NHS Eatwell Guide, fondly known to its critics as the Eat badly guide, still tells us to choose lower-fat products, such as 1% fat milk, reduced-fat cheese, or low-fat yoghurt. This is based on the inadequately evidenced postwar belief that saturated fat is bad for your heart.

How embarrassing, then, for government dietetic gurus, that a major study of 4,150 Swedes, followed over 16 years, has last week reported that a diet rich in dairy fat may lower, not raise your risk of cardiovascular disease.

This Swedish study echoes the findings of a 2018 meta-analysis of 29 previous studies, which also found that consumption of dairy products protects against heart disease and stroke.

Five a day
A slogan invented to shift more fruit and veg, but not one to live your life by

This catchy slogan, now a central plank of government eating advice, came out of a 1991 meeting of fruit and veg companies in California.

Five a day logos now appear on many ultra-processed foods, from baked beans to ready meals, imbuing them with a questionable aura of health.

But other than as a marketing tool, any justification for this slogan is thin.

A major study in 2010 involving 500,000 people across 23 European locations for eight years could not establish a clear association, let alone causation, for this recommendation.

While fruit and vegetables do bring valuable micronutrients to the table, overall they compare poorly in nutrient-density terms with foods such as dairy, meat, fish and eggs.

Very few people in the UK manage to meet the five a day target, and those who do generally attain it by eating more fruit than vegetables.

Fruit contains lots of sugar. A small banana has the equivalent of 5.7 teaspoons of sugar, whereas an egg contains none.

Has the five a day mantra persuaded us to eat more healthy greens? Two of the most fashionable vegetables at the moment are sweet potatoes and squash, both of which are as sugary as sweet fruit.

Perhaps we should face the possibility that the five a day dogma has actually prompted us to eat more sugar.

Salt
Don’t cut out salt completely – a moderate amount is better for you

However, research published recently concludes that the extremely low levels of sodium intake currently advised are associated with increased heart disease risk, whereas moderate amounts are ideal for most people.

The researchers say that most countries in the world, apart from China and a few others, already have average sodium intakes within the lowest risk range. “There is little evidence that lowering sodium [below this average level] will reduce cardiovascular events or death” it finds.

Meat
Ditch processed products such as hotdogs, but a steak won’t kill you

Although meat has been a central component of ancestral diets for millions of years, some nutrition authorities, often with close connections to animal rights activists or other forms of ideological vegetarianism, promote the view that it is an unhealthy food.

The health case against meat is predicated on cherry-picked evidence from low-quality, unreliable, observational studies that fail to draw a distinction between meat in its unprocessed form and multi-ingredient, chemically altered, ultra-processed meat products, such as hotdogs.

Association doesn’t mean causation. Confounding factors exist; someone who eats bacon butties daily might also be eating too much sugar, be consuming lots of additive-laden bread, be under stress, or smoke – the list goes on.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer’s 2015 claim that red meat is “probably carcinogenic” has never been substantiated.

In fact, a subsequent risk assessment concluded that this is not the case.

Epidemiological data has been unable to demonstrate a consistent causal link between red meat intake and disease.

Starchy foods
Official advice to base your diet on carbs is contradicted by science

“Base your meals around starchy carbohydrate foods” – another nugget of government “healthy eating” advice that is contradicted by robust science and well overdue for a rethink.

In February the Pure study, which followed 148,858 participants in 21 countries over nine years was published. It concluded that: “High intake of refined grains was associated with higher risk of mortality and major cardiovascular disease events.”

The researchers found that those who had the highest category of intake of refined grains (at least 350g a day) had a 27% higher risk of death and a 33% higher risk of serious cardiovascular events compared with those whose consumption was in the lowest category.

“Globally, lower consumption of refined grains should be considered,” it concluded. Yet our government stubbornly recommends the opposite.

Eggs
Years of conflicting advice have been unfair to eggs – eat as many as you like

Remember when public health advice was to eat no more than two eggs weekly? That pearl of wisdom was based on the mistaken idea that foods containing cholesterol are bad for you.

When it became clear that eating cholesterol had no effect on the cholesterol profile of your blood, government advice was belatedly changed. Now it tells us: “There is no recommended limit on how many eggs people should eat.” Unfortunately, decades of top-down public health misinformation is hard to shift.

Many people are still unsure whether eggs are healthy or not, despite the fact that eggs are one of the most nutrient-rich foods you can eat.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...e-health-advice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-21, 13:11

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I read that last night. Thanks for sharing.

They still say eating Hot Dogs/Lunch Meats are bad.

I'm not a doctor, and I admit I don't understand why.

They tell me it's nitrates/Nitrites

Quote:
Manufacturers using celery products can claim their meat has “no nitrates or nitrites added,” except for those naturally occurring. But celery is naturally high in nitrates, so adding celery powder to meat is simply another way of providing nitrates. In passing from mouth to stomach, nitrates get converted to nitrite.

https://www.aicr.org/resources/blog...my-cancer-risk/ and others

But yet they tell us that eating celery is good for us.

I don't see how taking the nitrates/nitrites out of celery that are supposed to be good for us, and putting them in a couple of ham slices makes those very same nitrites/nitrates bad for us.

It just defies logic as I know it. That is unless there is something I don't know and don't know that I don't know.

It seems to me it would be like eating a salad with celery and a piece of roast pork.

Furthermore, since the nitrates/nitrites added that are not from celery are chemically identical to those in celery, how can eating ham with non-celery nitrates/nitrites bad for us.

healthline.com further confuses it

Quote:
A high intake of processed meats may increase the risk for cancer in the digestive tract. Some people believe that nitrates and nitrites are the reason for the increased risk (2, 3Trusted Source).

However, nitrates and nitrites also occur naturally in vegetables, which may reduce the risk for some types of cancer and other diseases (4Trusted Source, 5).

In fact, according to one study, people obtain around 80% of their dietary nitrates from vegetables (6Trusted Source).

The body also produces nitrates and secretes them into saliva (7, 8).

Nitrates and nitrites circulate from the digestive system into the blood, then into saliva, and back into the digestive system (9Trusted Source).

They may be useful in keeping your body healthy, as they seem to function as antimicrobials in the digestive system. They can help to kill bacteria, such as Salmonella (10Trusted Source, 11Trusted Source).

They can also turn into nitric oxide (NO), an important signaling molecule (12Trusted Source).

If we get 80% of our nitrates from vegetables, what's the big deal with a hot dog?

And why are the the same nitrates vegetables to be cancer preventive and the identical ones in meat to be cancer causing???

What am I missing here?

Bob
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-21, 13:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
What am I missing here?

Bob

It's my theory that anything traditionally eaten in a roll or sandwich means bread goes along for the ride. That's where the health ding is coming from.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-21, 14:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Tidbits.

As a decendent of the Scandinavian countries, I'm programmed to eat dairy, fish and meat.

As a human, I dont have the genetic compatibility to eat beef. Dr Gundry talks about this often. Fish and chicken are compatible to humans.

Perhaps those of us that carry suseptable genes for colon cancer and breast cancer like BRAC2, are more susceptible to developing those cancers when we tend to be overweight and consume beef.

Not all meats are equal. Grass fed? Fed GMO grains? Is the dairy A1orA2? The quality of meats in the US is a far cry from typical meats abroad, though even that is changing.

As we all know here, eating real whole foods as unprocessed as possible is best.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-21, 12:21

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I eat organic, 100% grass-fed beef once a week - occasionally more.

Personally, I think the beef is good for me.

I don't eat chicken because it bothers my arthritis. Even if it didn't I would only eat pasture raised fowl.

I went on the arthritis/bursitis diet, and the pain is 100% gone. If I slip off the diet, I can feel it start to creep back in. Fowl and eggs are a no-no, but every once in a while I'll eat an egg.

I eat A2 cheese because my DW is sensitive to A1 dairy. I'm not, so since we can't get A2 cream, I use (supposedly) pasture raised, organic heavy whipping cream in my coffee.

I have an A2 whey shake made from grass-fed Jersey cows almost every day.

I do eat ham every once in a while and even an occasional hot dog. Baby back ribs a few times a year too.

I don't eat celery because it is full of nitrates (just kidding). Actually I don't eat celery or cukes because they repeat on me, so my body is telling me "don't eat that".

Bob