Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1321   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 13:42

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I am still confused

When does a stall/plateau morph into "the plan isn't working for you"

Haha, if you find the answer to that I’ll give you a big reward, as I’m not so much a “turtle” as a frozen statue, stalled for nearly 11 years now.

I started my low carb journey in 2006 and in fits and starts I lost over 100 pounds between then and early 2009. And then my weight loss stopped dead in the water. In fact I first discovered and joined the forums here in 2009 in the hopes of breaking my then months-long stall and have been a faithful participant ever since. And I’ve tried, over 11 years, just about every single supplement and diet tweak that everyone has tried here, all to no avail. Each time I start out losing a few pounds but then it slowly comes back on until I reach my usual stall weight (in the roughly 275 range).

In 2016 I got a bit discouraged and began eating more carby food again and suddenly found I had ballooned up to 295. Way back in 2006, when I first dropped below 300, I vowed I would never go above that number again, so the scale was alarming. Around then was when I first discovered Dr. Fung and began his IF protocol of 22-24 fasts three days a week and the weight began to drop off quickly and I thought I’d finally found my dietary nirvana. In less than a month I dropped from 295 to 270.

But then as usual, the weight loss stopped. I continued following his IF plan but never lost any more. Weight just constantly bounced in the 270-275 range. Losing 1-2 pounds on the fasting days and gaining 1-3 on the eating days. Well that’s one example.

Historically I discovered LC back in 1997 with the Protein Power plan. In 14 months I went from 340 pounds down to classic 275, and stalled at that weight again too. Back then I’d been a founding member of the asdlc Usenet forum and over the next 3-4 years tried every suggestion there to break my stall but nothing worked and after nearly 4 years at 275 I gave up and totally fell face down into the carbs until eventually, 4 years later, I was at an even higher all time high of nearly 400 pounds! 😮

So that started my second LC journey. So this time around I’ve lost over 100 pounds and kept it off but I’m still fat and nothing has worked, just like the first time. I feel like a “success” in that I’ve kept that weight off, but also feel like a “failure” as I’m still so far from a healthy weight.

So I **know** I’m in a stall! But it’s been so many years now I don’t even think of it as a stall, but just the way it is. 🙁 And if there is a plan for me I certainly haven’t found it.
Sponsored Links
  #1322   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 14:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Diet Doctor define this as 3 months on plan and working it. Often a plan need a tweek, because our body needs a bit of help. JEY just put up a thread with link to DietDictors duscussing options at length.
  #1323   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 04:26

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Thanks for sharing you weight loss history with us, MerPig.
Must be constantly frustrating to follow "the plan" faithfully but see no results. I don't feel so alone in my stall.

Sometimes, I wonder if the set point theory isn't on target.

After reading your story, I think I will stop being obsessed with weight loss. I don't plan to stop weighing and measuring, but I am going to stop giving up this or that to see if it makes a difference - so far none of the foods I have "given up" have made any difference. I do not intend to fast more than 14 hours a day. Since none of my other biomarkers have changed either, I assume this is going to be a long haul. Even if I lose no more weight, it is a healthier way of eating.

Thanks again, I appreciate your sharing. Gives me food for thought - always welcome
  #1324   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 09:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Merpig, if you have followed Dr Fung or joined his excellent FB page, they suggest for older women with a history of obesity longer IF with alternating patterns. OMAD is just calorie restriction. His definition of IF is a minimum of 36 hours up to 3 days. OMAD is a type of Time Restricted Eating...different from the new DietDoctor guide, but since this is the Dr Fung thread, what I use. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...390#post9356390. Post #7

Quote:
Dr. Fung's group has supported some kind of "mixing it up" since the beginning. Fasts should be followed by Feasts. OMAD is just calorie restriction (with the exceptions in this great email post) unless there are a few days of 2 or 3 meals also. The other popular pattern they have encouraged for Weight Loss, especially in older women with a history of obesity, is the 36 or 42 hour fast three days a week. For working folk, M-W-F water only fast. T-TH-Sat first meal is breakfast or lunch, go by your hunger level. Saturday night and Sunday feast. None of these popular protocols are extended fasting.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Feb-03-20 at 13:15.
  #1325   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 09:42

BF:

Quote:
Thanks for sharing you weight loss history with us, MerPig.
Must be constantly frustrating to follow "the plan" faithfully but see no results. I don't feel so alone in my stall.

Sometimes, I wonder if the set point theory isn't on target.

After reading your story, I think I will stop being obsessed with weight loss. I don't plan to stop weighing and measuring, but I am going to stop giving up this or that to see if it makes a difference - so far none of the foods I have "given up" have made any difference. I do not intend to fast more than 14 hours a day. Since none of my other biomarkers have changed either, I assume this is going to be a long haul. Even if I lose no more weight, it is a healthier way of eating.

Thanks again, I appreciate your sharing. Gives me food for thought - always welcome

Set point can be moved according to Dr Fung. JEY gave great points in post above.
  #1326   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 07:57

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

In case anyone is interested, Dr David Perlmutter is hosting a free online event, The Fasting Transformation Summit, from May 11-17, 2020

https://fastingtransformation.com/
  #1327   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 09:07
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Thanks soooooo much for this link. I'll be there!
  #1328   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 09:09
Doing My Best

Wait! It says it's free, but it isn't. I'm confused.

More later.
  #1329   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 09:17

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Wait! It says it's free, but it isn't. I'm confused.

More later.

It seems to be structured the way all these summits are structured. All the talks are free when you watch them online on the given day they are available (and usually some catch up time)but if you want to own the talks you can pay so that you have them forever.
  #1330   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 09:25
Doing My Best

Thank you, my dear.

I'm interested because my last big weight drop happened the first time I followed the Fung Protocol. I just need a psychological boost to get my head around another fast.
  #1331   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 04:59

BF:

If I have to go without eating anything at all for three days, I am not a fan of Dr Fung. And I have no intention of trying his protocol.
  #1332   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 06:21

BF:

Quote:
If I have to go without eating anything at all for three days, I am not a fan of Dr Fung. And I have no intention of trying his protocol.

I tried the 36 hr fast. The first time was a challenge, and got easier with practise. 3 days is not required to have positive effects.

Simply eat dinner, then skip meals next day, and on following day eat breakfast. Really did get easier.

I just planned ahead to have allowed drinks on hand like seltzer and tea, etc.

If 7 days of fasting can heal a diabetic ulcer and save a man from amputation of said foot, Im convinced fasting has important healing effects. And if a 36 hr fast has some impact, I can manage doing that.
  #1333   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 06:40

BF:

Ms Arielle
I am glad you had a good experience with "fasting"
Unfortunately, I react to it as "starvation"
This is my experience with starvation

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Grace-G...asap_bc?ie=UTF8
  #1334   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 07:21

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

(Benay, this below not intended for you as I understand where you're coming from - for others since I say the Fung Thread pop up and I'm right in the middle of experiment)

I'm having great luck with a suggested eating pattern by Dr. J. Fung - Alternate Day fasting Monday, Wednesday and Friday - eat normal low carb (~20 net carb) on feeding days with no real restrictions other than don't eat if you're not hungry. I was very hungry yesterday so I ate.

Feeling great so far (started end of March). I've got plenty of body fat to fuel me on non eating days and, fortunately for me, hunger is not an issue on fasting days. I don't know why this is - lucky I guess. I plan on continuing this protocol thru June and I'm keeping data during the experiment. Posting once a month here:

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

and this month today date occasionally in my journal and in the daily weigh-in thread here:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...t=483908&page=4

Thank you Mr. Fung!

PS - this definitely is NOT for everyone - especially if you're on any kind of blood sugar meds or don't have any extraneous body fat that you can spare during non eating days.

Use caution. Use your head. Understand hunger.
  #1335   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 07:29

BF:

Quote:
Ms Arielle
I am glad you had a good experience with "fasting"
Unfortunately, I react to it as "starvation"
This is my experience with starvation

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Grace-G...asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Thank you for sharing and helping me understand. We all have baggage that affects our relationship with food.