Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-14, 14:50

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 275/275/200 Male 187 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Wheat gluten

I have two packs of wheat gluten, both 100%. The first one contains 13 grams of carbs per 100 grams of product and the other one 1.2 grams.

Looking at the labels I cannot tell any other difference in them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-14, 15:40

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Could it be a decimal point error? A lie? A misprint?

According to:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...nd-pasta/7738/2
it's 13 carb/100g and 370 calories

Most people on the forum will tell you to avoid wheat and especially wheat gluten.

Of course, we all make our own choices.

Bob
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-14, 19:33

BF:

I'll check this out with the producer. Must be another Spanish blunder.

Other than that - what's wrong with wheat gluten? I've been making seitan out of it for years for my vegetarian friends.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-14, 00:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strudel
<snip>
Other than that - what's wrong with wheat gluten? I've been making seitan out of it for years for my vegetarian friends.

A whole lot.

You can start with the following links from our LC Research/Media forum:
The skin and gluten
Overactive Bladder? Maybe blame gluten
How Common is Gluten Sensitivity?
Gluten Confirmed To Cause Weight Gain
Does gluten threaten the health of most humans?
Dr. Alessio Fasano: Spectrum of Gluten-Related Disorders
Does gluten affect non-celiacs?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-14, 02:45

BF:

Whoa! That's impressive.

Well, having reached the ripe age of 68 I can only consider myself very lucky in that I never experienced a single food or drink based allergic reaction. Barring the occasional hangover.

So I guess the carb content in wheat gluten is not an interesting issue on this forum so I'll just drop it.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-14, 09:01

BF:

The carb content is definitely relevant. 13 grams is high for me - of course YMMV.

If I eat more than 20 grams per day, I gain weight, but that's my metabolism. So I have to be judicious about what I eat, and I'm not going to squander it on wheat gluten - but that's me.

BTW, before quitting wheat I thought I had a dairy intolerance. Now that I don't eat wheat, I can eat all the dairy I want. Pretty weird, but I found out others have done the same.

If you don't have a food intolerance you are lucky - enjoy that.

There is also a book called "Wheat Belly" that a lot of people on this forum recommend. I haven't read it, but you might put it in the search box and see if any of the comments pertain to you or not.

We all have the same 'basic equipment' inside, but we all are very different too. One man's meat is another man's poison is a proverb I heard when I was young. It was meant to be a metaphor and not to applied to food, but the older I get, the more I realize that it works for food too.

Whatever works for you is good for you, whether or not it works for me or anybody else.

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-14, 09:50

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Quote:
...So I guess the carb content in wheat gluten is not an interesting issue on this forum so I'll just drop it.

It's interesting, but irrelevant to some since we avoid it due to our own noted sensitivities or outright allergies.
I, for one, was grateful to see Bob and Rosebud address your issue because I didn't even know where to begin to explain how bad it is.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-14, 15:11

BF:

BTW, Strudel, I vacationed in Spain last year. From Madrid to Barcelona, Granada, Tarifa, Cadiz, Sevilla and Back to Madrid with plenty of towns in between (Arcos, Rondo, etc.). We spent a month there and took the Ave, buses, and metros -- and with our "baby talk" level of the Spanish Language we got around just fine.

I'm a musician and when in Andalucia I searched out non-tourist Flamenco music and was delighted with what I found. But that's for a music forum.

I loved your country, the people, the art museums, the food, and the music, and found it easy to keep mostly on a low carb diet (but hot chocolate and churros had to be tested more than once). I fell in love with Jamón Ibérico and wish I could get that here in the USA. I don't suspect there are many carbs in that.

When on vacation I don't stick to my plan 100% because I think it's important to become as immersed in the 'foreign' culture as I can. I just eat smaller portions of the things like wheat bread that I don't eat when I'm home. Because I did a lot of walking (it's the best way to see things) so I didn't gain any weight.

Bob
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-14, 03:00

BF:

Hi Bob, thanks for these nice words.

Actually - Spain is not "my country", just a place where I live right now. But I do agree with what you say. European culture dates back so many centuries that it has to show somewhere. Having spent several years in West Palm Beach it was nice to come back even if I have no complaints about Fla.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-14, 08:12

BF:

Wast Palm Beach is nice too. I like the South Florida climate.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-14, 02:25

BF:

Well, I was happy to get rid of the humidity. At one stage I almost thought I'd need an air conditioner.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-14, 06:37

BF:

I grew up on Pompano Beach, and when homes were not air conditioned. I never got used to them, don't like them, and don't use mine unless company comes over.

I guess it's all what you are used to.

Bob
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-14, 09:03

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Well, having reached the ripe age of 68 I can only consider myself very lucky in that I never experienced a single food or drink based allergic reaction. Barring the occasional hangover.

Just to point out that wheat/gluten sensitivity doesn't usually have a 'reaction' like say, a peanut allergy does. Unless it's a true allergy, one might not, say, have an anaphylactic reaction or may not even experience gastro distress or symptoms after eating it. This is what makes it hard to believe that it can be so problematic: the often lack of an immediate response.

Myself, I've had a host of issues pertaining to my gluten sensitivity including, bloating, skin conditions (acne, dandruff, rosacea), joint pain, heart palpitations, sinus issues, debilitating fatigue, light headedness, not to mention the intermittent gastric issues, that seem to flare out of nowhere.

Be aware that the effects of gluten are cumulative, so the more you eat (and for longer), the worse you may feel and the more severe obscure symptoms you may have. And bc the symptoms may not be exactly what one would expect from a dietary allergy, you may not connect the dots. The good news is the benefits are cumulative as well: the longer you stay off it, the better you feel, and the symptoms will ease and/or disappear. Such is the case for me - most of the symptoms above are now gone after two years off it.

Of course, YMMV, and you may be fine. Even if you're not sensitive, please Read Wheat Belly, it's an eye opener, and good info all around. It's reading that that made me kick gluten/wheat to the curb for good. Have never felt better!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-14, 08:06

BF:

That explains my former lactose sensitivity.

Eating wheat = lactose intolerant

Gave up wheat = no lactose problem

Pretty weird since I don't know the science behind it.

Bob
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-14, 07:08
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I have used vital wheat gluten a few times, albeit sparingly, since going low carb. It worked well for the recipes that I used it in and I had no notable ill effects from the amount I consumed. I do not have any wheat sensitivities that I am aware of -- short from eating way too much of it when eaten in forms that raise my blood sugar.

In reading up on it, there appears to be some debate as to whether gluten is the actual culprit in many wheat sensitivities. I'm not talking about celiac disease, but other reported sensitivities. There are other proteins in wheat that may be the cause. If you have wheat sensitivities, eliminating wheat surely does make sense - but doing so eliminates more than just gluten. The gluten is the big name 'catch all' that shoulders most all the blame. But it may be getting more blame than is deserved.

The jury is still out on this issue for me. I'm not looking for an excuse to eat bread. I don't eat it and probably won't ever eat it again. But if Wheat Gluten proves to be safe for me to consume, I may make use of it from time to time to add variety to my low carb diet.