Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 12:02
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default my oopsie roll recipe

picture tutorial here

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...p?i=29086&c=504 <--- picture of oopsie with Wendy's Baconator

Cleochatra's Best Ever Revol-Oopsie Rolls

3 large eggs
1 pkg Splenda
dash of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Makes 6~ about 85 calories a piece, >1 carb per
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 14:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/172/140 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hey Cleo..do you know what effect the 'not softening' of the cream cheese has on your rolls?

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 16:10
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

Not softening helps to keep the yolks colder. I've found when I tried to make the yolk mixture smooth, the mixture was warm or too liquid, both of which adversely affected the ability to successfully add the yolks to the whites without whites starting to break down.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 18:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

A-ha! When I make my next batch of mehvolution rolls (dairy-free), I think I'll seperate the eggs and put the yolks+mayo back in the fridge while leaving the whites out.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 18:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 203/192.6/120 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Oopsie Rev Roll Question..

Ok, my first batch is in the oven but they aren't going to turn out any good. I couldn't get my egg whites to go stiff. What's the trick? How long do you have to beat for at what setting? Did I use too little of the tartar stuff? Mine came out like foam.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Did you use a mixer (an immersion blender won't do it)? If there is even 1 drop of egg yolk in it, they won't whip. If the bowl or beaters are oily or dirty, they might not whip either. I can't think of anything else. It takes about 4 minutes from fridge to stiff whites in my Sunbeam Stand Mixer on the number 11 (very high) setting.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 18:33
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

If yours were foamy, they weren't beat long enough. Foam is just the beginning. You want to go until the stiff peaks form.

Sometimes it seems like it is taking FOREVER, but you get used to it!

I use a hand mixer to mix the whites and use a quick motion, even with the handmixer, to mix all the faster.

The flat ones are still awesome for oopsie pizzas, french toast, wraps, you name it!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 19:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 203/192.6/120 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 13%

Ok I mastered the egg white peaks! Now.. my main problem is this:
I can't separate the whites from the yolks!

I've tried it two ways, I've done it using my fingers and when I did that some of the yolk got in with the whites. Then the second time around I did it by breaking the egg and keeping the yolk in the bottom of the cup while I drained out the whites. However, some of the whites stayed with the yolk.. and it made the mixture too runny. When I poured it on the pan it ran off my pan! (I hardly mixed it, there was huge chunks of cream cheese)

Any advice on getting a thicker mixture and separating eggs?

One part of my second batch did look a little bit how it should of been and it tasted REALLY good. I imagined putting sugar free jam on it or something like that.. it reminded me of cream cheese crepes.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 20:42
OWL More Veggies

Stats: 255/223/175 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 40%

I think it just takes practice Jen. It matters if you get yoke in the white but I don't think it matters much to have white in the yoke. LOL
I use your second method, but I switch the yoke back and forth between the shells until most of the white is gone.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 05:53
Registered Member

Stats: 150/128/130 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 110%

I had this problem and managed to find an egg separator in a local kitchen shop (apparently it was made somewhere in Scandinavia and they're rare in the UK but don't know about other countries). It's like a little china jug with a slit halfway up one side. You break the egg in and tilt it so that the white pours through the slit into your mixing bowl and the yolk stays put. Perfect for me as I'm a bit of a klutz - and can't imagine lc life without Cleo's oopsie rolls!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 11:04

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 192/138/125 Female 5 FEET 3 INCHES
BF:I/Don't/Know
Progress: 81%

Do these end up gooey or sticky the next day? I made the old rev rolls before and they went funny after they cooled.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 11:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wouldn't sweat a bit of white clinging to the yolk. It is unavoidable. What you SHOULD do (and I need to remember to do this next time). Break each egg into a separate bowl, don't do it with your big batch of separated eggs. That way if you goof and get some yolk in the whites you only have to throw away one egg, not an entire batch.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 11:42

Plan: GEN. LC
Stats: 224.4/214.6/190 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbJen
Ok I mastered the egg white peaks! Now.. my main problem is this:
I can't separate the whites from the yolks!

I've tried it two ways, I've done it using my fingers and when I did that some of the yolk got in with the whites. Then the second time around I did it by breaking the egg and keeping the yolk in the bottom of the cup while I drained out the whites. However, some of the whites stayed with the yolk.. and it made the mixture too runny. When I poured it on the pan it ran off my pan! (I hardly mixed it, there was huge chunks of cream cheese)

Any advice on getting a thicker mixture and separating eggs?

One part of my second batch did look a little bit how it should of been and it tasted REALLY good. I imagined putting sugar free jam on it or something like that.. it reminded me of cream cheese crepes.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/pro...-1&SKU=14762469

Here's what I use to seperate my eggs. You just crack open the egg, ,dump it in there and the white runs thru as the yolk stays in the little bowl in the middle. I wouldn't be able to seperate an egg w/o it!!

It doesnt matter if there is white in with the yolk but you cant have any yolk in with the white.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 08:11
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

I learned to separate eggs from Jack Tripped on Three's Company. I don't know why the process stuck with me...

You don't have to absolutely keep yolk out of the whites. I have had a little dribble and still have been all right.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 19:27

Stats: 190/154/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm trying this recipe tonight. I've made them with another recipe but I like the idea of the cream cheese. They are in the oven so I'll let you know how they turn out soon!