Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 05:21

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 300/300/198 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Is Fruit Juice allowed?

You guys, I know this is a rookie question, but, is fruit juice allowed with Paleo? I mean, it would stand to reason that it would be, because, well, fruit itself is encouraged, After trying the protein power woe, I had developed an almost rabid fear of fruit. Now, 2 years later, I want to make another attempt at self mastery. After falling off the wagon after an injury, I am now fired up and ready to try, its just that it would seem that fruit and fruit juice would stall or stop my weight loss.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 19:00

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fruit isn't necessarily encouraged. In fact, one is advised to eat with caution, especially citrus fruits. Because fruit juice is water and carbs, and the fiber of whole fruits isn't there, I wouldn't advise endulging in it at all. After diabetics have episodes of hypoglycemia, standard practice is a glass of oj. It is because it is like drinking glucose. If you must drink fruit juice, cut it with water.

Fruit, within reason, is totally fine. You have to ration how much you eat depending on how much weight you want to lose and how your body reacts. If you have a craving, eat berries. They are very low in carbs. Avoid citrus fruits. Go for the 'woodier' fruits.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 19:02

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I assume you mean juice that is 100% juice with no sugar or corn syrup added. Offhand I can't remember what Neanderthin says, but my feeling is that this constitutes far more of the fructose of the fruit than you would consume just eating a piece of fruit, therefore I would consider it inappropriate.

Howard
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 19:11

Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

I just read in the neanderthin book that fresh squeezed juices, especially with pulp are allowed, but later on in the paragraph he says to limit intake of sugary plant food to miniscule amounts to maximize safe fat loss in a small amount of time.

For me, it doesn't work to do either much fruit or much juice when I am trying to lose weight. I am looking forwards to having more later in my weight loss. Marty
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 21:47
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I had one of those 100% apple juice drinking boxes this morning at breakfast
as there was no tea in the house. For me that is just a once in a while thing and I doubt it will hurt me in the long run. If anything I needed the vitamin C.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 16:27
Registered Member

Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopoles
I just read in the neanderthin book that fresh squeezed juices, especially with pulp are allowed, but later on in the paragraph he says to limit intake of sugary plant food to miniscule amounts to maximize safe fat loss in a small amount of time.

For me, it doesn't work to do either much fruit or much juice when I am trying to lose weight. I am looking forwards to having more later in my weight loss. Marty

I wouldn't recommend fruit juice. It's not food in its natural form and can cause a sharper spike in your blood sugar and insulin levels than actual fruit. The fiber in a whole piece of fruit is necessary for preventing swings in blood sugar. Personally I only drink water and tea.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 09:21

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I once looked at the carb content of unsweetened orange juice and it listed carbs at 22 grams. This was one of those small tetra paks. If you feel that you cannot do without fruit juice, why not make your own. Or make your own fruit smoothies by throwing whatever fruit you want into a blender, like fresh or frozen blueberries, strawberries, raspberries. Add a raw egg, shredded unsweetened coconut, to it. That way you control what's in it and still have the benefit of pulp. Avoid any commerically prepared fruit juices.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 10:26
Registered Member

Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

good ideas there Hellistile! That smoothy sounds really good.

I suppose if I HAD to drink fruit juice I'd just make sure I don't do it on an empty stomach...drink it with a meal with fat in it to slow down the absorption of the sugars.