Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 15:07

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%
Default Gut Dysbiosis & How Best to Correct It (ongoing)

Over the past few years I have become incredibly enveloped in gut (intestinal) dysbiosis and how best to go about correcting it.

I strongly believe that from birth I was not provided with the correct gut microflora that I required to grow and flourish to my best potential. I have irritable bowel (for several years now) which I believe is rooted mostly in antibiotic use over the many years of my life, along with other medications I've been on over the years. This dysbiosis has resulted in what I consider an overactive immune system, which has a lot to do with my pet dander allergies, dry eye condition, and irritable bowel syndrome, etc.

I'm starting this thread simply to document research that I come across regarding gut dysbiosis and document also some of the best approaches towards correcting it (if possible).

Please feel free to contribute and/or comment if desired.
Cheers,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 15:11

BF:

Here is a very interesting article/excerpt regarding dysbiosis and its connection with many psychological conditions such as autism, AD(H)D, etc. The PDF is an excert from a book titled Gut and Psychology Syndrome' (GAP syndrome or GAPS) by Dr. N. Campbell-McBride.

Due to copyright & trademarks, I am not reposting any content in this thread, but below is the link to the PDF document:

http://www.behealthy.org.uk/gaps.pdf

I read this just shaking my head, saying to myself... this just makes so much sense! Wow! Now the ultimate question is, how to best go about correcting it! Very low-carb. diet is of course a widely-agreed upon approach, of course. But what else can we do?

Probiotics, of course. Which ones are best? What is an optimal daily intake? Are capsuled supplement ones acceptable, or should we rely mainly on fermented foods like saurkraut (sp!) and yoghurt that have live cultures in them? There is a lot of debate as to whether commerically prepared probiotic supplements are of any benefit, but I tend to float on the optimistic side and hope that they do in fact pack a punch of bacteria into our systems when consumed.

Prebiotics - this is an area that is getting more and more attention these days. Inulin and FOS, to name a few. In my internet travels, Inulin appears to be the better accepted of the two -- it better selectively feeds the good bifidobacteria, and doesn't appreciably appeal to pathogens.

Natural anti-fungals and antimicrobials - Oil of oregano, garlic, coconut oil. These are all things that easily come to mind. But are these things also detrimental to the probiotic bacteria as well as the pathogenic guys?

These are some of the things I'll be trying to collect documentation on over time Please feel free to post documents and/or comments if you desire.

Cheers,

Last edited by Jayppers : Sun, Jul-08-07 at 15:23.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 15:25

BF:

And of course there is the very knowledgeable Duncan Crow, who maintains his own site that includes probiotic & prebiotic references. This is very very interesting material:

http://members.shaw.ca/duncancrow/i..._probiotic.html

I am actively utilizing his suggestions for correcting bowel dysbiosis via Inulin and a high dose probiotic supplement. I'm also currently making my own 'cabbage rejuvelac,' which I consume on a daily basis.

Thanks to Duncan for sharing his knowledge and information
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 15:29

BF:
Default Selective stimulation of bifidobacteria in the human colon by oligofructose...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...3&dopt=Abstract

Quote:
BACKGROUND/AIMS: Oligofructose and inulin are naturally occurring indigestible carbohydrates. In vitro they selectively stimulate the growth of species of Bifidobacterium, a genus of bacteria considered beneficial to health. This study was designed to determine their effects on the large bowel microflora and colonic function in vivo. METHODS: Eight subjects participated in a 45-day study during which they ate controlled diets. For the middle 15 days, 15 g.day-1 oligofructose was substituted for 15 g.day-1 sucrose. Four of these subjects went on to a further period with 15 g.day-1 inulin. Bowel habit, transit time, stool composition, breath H2 and CH4, and the predominant genera of colonic bacteria were measured. RESULTS: Both oligofructose and inulin significantly increased bifidobacteria from 8.8 to 9.5 log10 g stool-1 and 9.2 to 10.1 log10 g stool-1, respectively, whereas bacteroides, clostridia, and fusobacteria decreased when subjects were fed oligofructose, and gram-positive cocci decreased when subjects were fed inulin. Total bacterial counts were unchanged. Fecal wet and dry matter, nitrogen, and energy excretion increased with both substrates, as did breath H2. Little change in fecal short-chain fatty acids and breath CH4 was observed. CONCLUSIONS: A 15-g.day-1 dietary addition of oligofructose or inulin led to Bifidobacterium becoming the numerically predominant genus in feces. Thus, small changes in diet can alter the balance of colonic bacteria towards a potentially healthier microflora.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 19:30

BF:

Survival of Yogurt Bacteria in the Human Gut
Quote:
Whether Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus can be recovered after passage through the human gut was tested by feeding 20 healthy volunteers commercial yogurt. Yogurt bacteria were found in human feces, suggesting that they can survive transit in the gastrointestinal tract.
PDF //> http://aem.asm.org/cgi/reprint/72/7/5113.pdf

The cultures in most commercially available yogurts though are generally of animal origin -- especially strep. thermophilus and lactobacillus bulgaricus, so these are more 'foreign' to the human gut. I personally don't even bother supplementing with these types of cultures/probiotic foods. I'm more focused on strains that are of human origin, like lactobillicus acidophilus, etc.

Last edited by Jayppers : Mon, Jul-09-07 at 18:14.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 12:34

BF:

Prebiotics: Feeding Your Friendly Flora Naturally
By Aftab J. Ahmed, Ph.D

http://www.fiberwater.com/_pdf/2%20...dly%20flora.pdf

Quote:
Of late one of the approaches to anticipate and even prevent dysbiosis has been to supplement nutrition with products called probiotics. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that are normally thought to inhabit the human intestine and the rationale of this remedy rests on the premise that ingestion of beneficial bacteria should maintain intestinal floral ecology. It is uncertain, however, whether live or attenuated bacteria can actually colonize the intestine. First it stands to reason that being live organisms, probiotics would not survive the rather harsh acidic environment in the stomach. Further, it has been argued that those organisms that do survive the stomach acid may have been sufficiently damaged, making it unlikely that they could possible colonize the intestine.

What natural remedy may then support the intestinal flora? A more effective natural approach must be available which allows the body to restore intestinal balance naturally as a matter of course. In traditional societies of the Old World it has been known for generations that dietary measures can do wonders for intestinal health. Thus a more reliable approach to restore intestinal ecology is to provide the food and energy source as a dietary aid to stimulate growth and multiplication of beneficial bacterial indigenous to the intestine. These dietary food and energy sources for the bacteria are called prebiotics. Prebiotics travel to the large intestine where they trigger the multiplication of beneficial bacteria already resident in the colon.

Dietary fiber is the most efficient food and energy source for the friendly bacteria native to the colon. Not all dietary fibers however, fit this bill. Specifically inulin is the most efficient food and energy source for the intestinal bacteria.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 08:21

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Check out this site
www.knowthecause.com
It is also about fungal/antiobiotic caused disease.....
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 12:04

BF:

Probiotics and prebiotics in chronic inflammatory bowel diseases

http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/12/5941.pdf

Quote:
The link between intestinal microflora and IBD is now well established, and altering the composition of the microflora using probiotics and prebiotics holds promise as a therapeutic strategy for ameliorating chronic intestinal inflammation. Future developments in this field must include rigorous double-blind, placebo-controlled trials, using probiotics and prebiotics along with a further understanding of their protective mechanisms. Due to their excellent safety profile and lack of serious side effects, there are few contraindications to the consumption of prebiotics, probiotics and synbiotics by IBD patients. Further understanding of the interactions between microbes and gastrointestinal tract will help identify which strains of bacteria and/or which prebiotics may be effective in the treatment of different types of chronic inflammatory disease.
Quote:
Another study in HLA-B27 transgenic rats showed that the effects of the synbiotic “SIM”, a combination of lactobacilli, bifidobacteria and the prebiotic inulin, are attributed to the inulin rather than the probiotics. The ingested probiotic bacteria are not detectable in the cecal content, yet the microflora profile of their cecal contents is altered[103]. In that study, inulin was also shown to specifically stimulate the growth of Bifidobacterium animalis.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 15:54

BF:

Gut Health

http://www.functionalfoodnet.eu/ima...-Gut-health.pdf

Has some interesting information about the impact of pro- and prebiotics on overall health. It is from November of 2001. Has some nice illustrations and tables - a good illustration.

Quote:
Irritable bowel syndrome
Affects up to 20% of the general population. Symptoms include excessive flatus, bloating and variable bowel habit and the gut micro flora is expected to be involved. Coliforms, lactobacilli and bifidobacteria are often decreased and the gas production increased.
Quote:
The non-digestible character of prebiotics is a feature shared with dietary fibre but their physiological functions are often different. Thus, the prebiotics are very selective in their growth stimulation and at the same time they suppress many pathogenic bacteria present in the microbiota because they can only use the prebiotic ingredient for growth to a limited extend or not at all.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 15:20

Plan: candida wipe out plan
Stats: 130/115/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmezak
Check out this site
www.knowthecause.com
It is also about fungal/antiobiotic caused disease.....

Very interesting.......especially about the cancer link. I didn't know that one. Scarry as well because I go back yet again in 2 weeks for another test to check for pre cancerous cells in my uterus....the doctor says he may want to cut out a section of it this time around. I am severely now wondering if the candida is a culprit. I will go forward and do what is necessary but jees......how the heck do you know for sure!!! The doctors wear blinders!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-07, 07:20

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Can you afford to get a second opinion? Mds are only doing what they are trained to do, but I agree that they are scary! I
like to get a diagnosis, then decide what I will do. Oh I'll keep positive thoughts for you M....
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-07, 17:21

BF:

Thank you kindly pmezak. My ob/gyn is actually the ONE doctor I have total confidence in. But what is scary is the fact that ALL doctors may ignore the yeast connection so a second opinion may be for squat.

He is double checking and re checking himself....he hasn't gone gung ho into saying 'let's hack you up'. He really is one of the doctors in the nation at the forefront of a lot of gynelogical stuff...he amazes me. This is not the first time within the last year I have come back with questionable cells. That's all they are right now is questionable, so no real danger. I am constantly on top of it as my Grandmother died very horribly from uterine cancer. For now what I seem to may have is pre cancerous, so fingers crossed and all....

I also had a new form of permanant contraceptive put in this last year. It has been out for -oh, maybe 10 yrs now, but this particular one they put in me was a newer one and I was part of a study for it. It deals with putting tiny spring like things into each fallopian tube and in 3 moths the tissue grows into them blocking up the tube. (the springs are kida like the spring in a pen, but smaller-obviously). It is non evasive....no cutting or antibiotics and the recovery time is about a day. It was very easy. They insert it up through the uterus. But mine after 6 months are not closing so he wants to remove them b/c they are non functioning like they should. He can also look at them to find out why they didn't work and in the process do a tubal ligation and be done with it for good. Has anybody had a tubal ligation done? He said no antibiotics would be necessary ( I asked). All of this is going to be paid for in full by them.......I have paid nothing and my regular doctor has done everything and will do this procedure too. So if anyone has any advise or suggestions about this procedure, please let me know. He gave me other alternatives, but I chose this one.

Sorry to thread jack you jayppers I have liked reading your links....btw.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 09:26

BF:

Thank-you, Malulani.

I'd like to request that we keep the posts in this thread related to the main subject - intestinal dysbiosis & the best approach for correcting it. The previous messages, I feel, are best suited for private messages, and don't seem to be directly related to this thread's main subject.

Thanks kindly. Cheers,

Last edited by Jayppers : Sat, Jul-14-07 at 09:33.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 13:14

BF:

Yes, deary........understand. Sorry again for the thread jack. If anyone does have info regarding what I posted please feel free to PM me.....thanx a bunch. (I'm nervous........never had any kind of surgery before).
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-07, 07:24

BF:

Frequently Asked Questions About Oil of Oregano

http://www.naturalenergies-online.c..._oregano.php#Q7

Quote:
17. Does oregano kill Candida albicans (commonly referred to as a yeast infection)?

Yes. A team of researchers led by Dr. Harry Preuss and Dr. Cass Ingram at the Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington, D.C., completed a comprehensive study on the efficacy of Oil of Oreganol P73 against Candida albicans. They concluded that the daily oral administration of Oil of Oreganol P73 may be highly effective in the prevention and treatment of candidiasis. The results gleaned from the study were so impressive that an article was written on the findings and published in Volume 228 of the Journal of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry.
Quote:
7. Should I take probiotics, or friendly bacteria, with Oreganol P73 in the same manner as I take it with antibiotics?

No. Antibiotics are capable of wiping out and destroying all of the good bacteria in your colon in as little as one cycle of treatment. Oreganol P73 used as recommended will not disrupt the balance of friendly bacteria. A study conducted by Laura L. Zaika and John C. Kissinger entitled “Inhibitory and Stimulatory Effects of Oregano on Lactobacillus Plantarum and Pediococcus Cerevisiae” and printed in volume 46 of the Journal of Food Science stated “that although oregano can be bactericidal toward lactic acid bacteria, these organisms (friendly bacteria) can become resistant towards the effect of oregano.” Dr. Cass Ingram suggests that friendly bacteria may be inhibited by oregano added to foods. However, friendly bacteria will also develop resistance to the inhibitory effect of the spice.
Quote:
The book entitled Beyond Antibiotics: Healthier Options for Families, by Michael A. Schmidt, Lendon H. Smith and Keith W. Sehnert, has an entire section devoted to the antimicrobial (antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral) efficacy of essential plant oils. In this section they state that “one of the advantages essential oils have over antibiotics is that bacteria do not develop resistance to essential oils.” Many essential oils exert their antibacterial effect by interfering with the bacteria’s ability to breathe. On the other hand, antibiotics interfere with the life cycle, or metabolism, of bacteria, but since bacteria are very crafty creatures, they change their chemistry and genes, which makes the antibiotic less effective the next time it is used. As a result, new generations of antibiotics will need to be developed to stay ahead of these organisms. Additionally, “another advantage to essential oils is that some actually stimulate immune function.” Drs. E. Gildemeister and F.R. Hoffmann are referenced in the book as testing the antimicrobial efficacy of certain essential oils as compared to a medium, phenol. Phenol is an antiseptic substance found in Lysol, Pinesol and Chloraseptic throat spray. The findings were quite a surprise to the investigators. Oil of oregano was the most potent antimicrobial essential oil tested by the investigators, as it proved to be 21 times stronger than the medium. The two powerful phenols identified in Oregano P73 are carvacrol and thymol. The carvacrol and thymol content of every lot of Oregano P73 is tested to assure maximum potency.

Below are the results of how Oregano P73 tested in potency (in vitro) against other essential oils. If the essential oil had a reference number of 1.0, it was equal to the killing power of phenol. Any number above 1.0 indicates the antiseptic power of the essential oil beyond that of phenol.

Phenol………………………………………1.0
Lavender……………………………………1.6
Lemon………………………………………2.2
Citral………………………………………..5.0
Clove……………………………………..…8.0
Thyme………………………………..……..13
Oregano………………………………..……21