Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-05, 06:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Need Snack Tips

I'm on day 2 off my return to lose weight (I kept off for several years and then these last few months have gained almost all of it back), not only do I need to lose weight, but I am gluten intolerant and need to eat low carb to be healthy. I am going to return to school soon (I'm a full time college student, wife and mother of 3) and I need ideas of items to bring that are quick to fix, not taking up too much space, and if I can just slip it in my backpack all the better. Right now my schedule is like 9-1:30, so no lunch break. I don't like to use the pre-packed bars and such, unless I am on maintenancem so please only foods suitable for induction and that have no wheat or oats in any form.

I can only eat so much beef jerky and string cheese, LOL, Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-05, 07:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/135/140 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi daylight,

I use any roasted meat I have, Beef, Pork, chicken, sliced thin.
I use a Romain letture leaf, put the sliced meat, some cream cheese, some sprouts, a squeese of lemond and olive oil and Roll. Very yummy and eash to pack and carry. Can be used as lunch or snack.
Good luck.
Warmest Regards,
Joy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-05, 09:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Tip #1 is get in the habit of cutting things up as soon as you open them or cook them: "snack" veggies like celery and peppers, packages of cheese, roasts. Cook whole packages of bacon at once. That kind of thing. This helps you have easy-to-grab snacks.

Tip #2 is buy Gladware or similar products. It's easy for me to grab a little container of ranch dressing, then grab sliced veggies, leftover meats, cheese, and/or hard boiled eggs into a bigger container.

That's the frugal way of doing it: if you don't mind spending more money, you can buy ready-made snacks like little cans of flavoured tuna, single serving luncheon meats like Buddig brand, or single serving raw veggies with the dressing attached.

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-05, 13:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I used to love wrapping up a cheeseburger in romain lettuce leaves and putting it in a ziplock in my bag. By the time I got a moment to eat the juices from the meat had soaked through the lettuce enough to make it stick and taste great.

Lunch meat and cheese rollups were also fast adn easy, just be sure to get meats without a ton of sugar and sodium added.

A left over steak in a ziplock is also good, use the siplock like a glove to keep hands clean
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-05, 14:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Depending on your carb target, I'd suggest cottage cheese, yogurt (greek is very low carb) or ricotta cheese in a small container. If you want ideas for toppings: Sugar free lemon curd (my favorite!), Da Vinci SF syrups, frozen raspberries.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-05, 18:17

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

I just recently discovered Greek yogurt. This stuff is awesome! I mix some protein powder, organic coconut and granola in it. This stuff is the best!!! It is very expensive but I love it!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 01:29

Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

All of this sounds very good but it won't keep in the heat. I am facing a very simmiler problem what should I do?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 01:49
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

protein smoothie shakes in a small thermos could work at times. Also nuts and seeds.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 03:42

Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

I'll try the protein -it sounds fast and easy to take with me, but I am worried about the carbs in nuts. I tried sunflower seeds - eating a 200 gram bag with my co-workers.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 06:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

macadamia nuts are ok, only a small handful. I made the meatballs, I think I can put those in my back pack.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 01:44
~strange as angels~

Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondacop
All of this sounds very good but it won't keep in the heat. I am facing a very simmiler problem what should I do?

You could always get one of those little blue freezer gel packs to keep things cool.