Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 09:11

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Bed rest used to be the prescription to combat illnesses.

Like pneumonia. And polio. And depression. And poor circulation. And childbirth. And the post-partum period. OK, those last two aren't illnesses, but they're things that are greatly improved with movement.

Quote:
Why would it now be the cure-all to combat lethargy? It's costly energy-wise to exercise, so is it to heal. Lethargy isn't a result of lack of exercise, it's the other way around. So what causes us to be lethargic? I mean, isn't that the real question? I bet it's something in the food. Maybe it's the food itself. Maybe it isn't food at all.

Maybe it's our lifestyle in general. Must you go out and pump iron or run on a treadmill or climb up rotating stairs? Absolutely not. That's a silly modern invention to create movement in our industrialized, sedentary lifestyle. We did used to just move more. Hunting animals, planting/gathering fruits and vegetables, logging wood for winter, hauling water...even riding a horse utilizes muscles. Moving, in a natural and useful way, just makes you feel better.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 09:14
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Good Enough
Stats: 223/194/185 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Maybe what causes us to avoid exercise, also causes heart disease and cancer.

It seems to me that there is a "virtuous circle" involving food, exercise and health.

Start by making better dietary choices, you feel better and are more likely to move. This reinforces making better dietary choices and more movement and a better subjective state of well being. The combination of the physiological aspects of diet and deliberate movement combined with the psychological component of a subjective state of positive wellness leads to health.

sit mens sana in corpore sano
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 10:24

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdill
It seems to me that there is a "virtuous circle" involving food, exercise and health.

Start by making better dietary choices, you feel better and are more likely to move. This reinforces making better dietary choices and more movement and a better subjective state of well being. The combination of the physiological aspects of diet and deliberate movement combined with the psychological component of a subjective state of positive wellness leads to health.

sit mens sana in corpore sano

Well, a priori, the brain can't function properly when it's malnourished. So no matter what psychological trick we devise, when the brain ain't working well, the solutions won't stick. That applies to the rest of the body as well. If the cells are sick, it doesn't matter how much we move, the cells are going to stay sick.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 10:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I get all these arguments (marathon running is in a special category - I think most marathoners know they are taking risks and most are not prepared for the distance anyway)

But what about sheer survival? As an adult and a parent, I feel like it is a huge part of my responsibility to be able to function in case of emergency - to lift my kids and carry them to safety, to swim to rescue them if they fall in deep water, to get out of my own house in case of a fire even if it means I have to climb or jump.

I was swimming off a tourist boat about six years ago and I was the only person who had difficulty pulling myself back onto deck. If it was an emergency, I'd be out of luck or reliant on someone else being stronger and more capable than myself. I vowed to increase my upper body strength at that point.

At work, I lift very heavy boxes and often other women tell me I should not do it and they cannot because it's too heavy. Who then? Somebody has to be strong enough to do it - why should I foist the reponsibility on someone else?

My parents live 12 miles from me - in case of emergency I want to be able to make it to their house as quickly as possible, even if the streets are clogged with panicked traffic. That means running that distance. I recently read a memoir of a woman from NYC who lost alot of weight but she was still very out of shape. She took up running. The day of 9/11 her train was underneath the WTC when the first plane struck. She survived because she was able to get out and run from the collapsing towers.

I'm not saying I'm paranoid and tragedies are around every corner (some of you might read this and see it that way), but I would hate to think a fireman out there is busting his butt staying in shape so he can carry me out of my house and I didn't bother to make sure I was fit enough to get out myself. There are so many with true needs and physical limitations, why would I want to be an extra burden when it's entirely under my control?

This matter seems to be very black and white to people. Either exercise obsessively like a hamster running on a wheel all day or do nothing whatsoever. There are gradations between those two extremes. This article mentions a couple of things that it is believed light exercise can help with and it says that exercise as a tool for being healthy is oversold. That's all. It doesn't say that you should waste away into weak girly-girl unable to life a paper cup or perform your job.

And also note, the exercise they're usually talking about is of the aerobic sort, like running, stair climbing and so on. I don't think it mentions strength training at all.

I wonder what firemen of the 1940's did to stay strong? I doubt they hung out at gyms or had treadmills. Gyms only started popping up in the 1970's I think. I remember going to Jack LaLanes.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Nov-12-09 at 10:42.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 10:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari
Like pneumonia. And polio. And depression. And poor circulation. And childbirth. And the post-partum period. OK, those last two aren't illnesses, but they're things that are greatly improved with movement.

Maybe it's our lifestyle in general. Must you go out and pump iron or run on a treadmill or climb up rotating stairs? Absolutely not. That's a silly modern invention to create movement in our industrialized, sedentary lifestyle. We did used to just move more. Hunting animals, planting/gathering fruits and vegetables, logging wood for winter, hauling water...even riding a horse utilizes muscles. Moving, in a natural and useful way, just makes you feel better.

Whether we used to move more is up for debate. I think we used to move much less than we do today. I also think we used to be leaner, taller and more muscular. Exercise won't make us leaner or taller, but it might make us more muscular with the caveat that the diet must allow that to happen. Without the proper diet, we might as well sit all day long because muscles don't grow on sugar nor is protein useful in that respect when cells are insulin resistant.

The illnesses that exercise improves are not that numerous and the benefits are not that great either. Further, all the other illnesses are still taken care of quicker with bed rest. If fuel is used to move, it's not used to heal, the healing period will be longer. Bear in mind the brain is the most expensive organ and it's less active when we sleep. This means it consumes less fuel which can then be used to heal. While I don't know how much fuel that is, since it is the most expensive organ, I think that even a small reduction in consumption would have a tremendous effect on the balance of fuel available for other things. Based on that logic, it seems exercise is merely one more way to divert fuel away from the healing process.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 10:50

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Gyms have been around forever. it's just that the 70s started the "safe machines" Nautilus gyms. Before that, they were old time strongmen gymnasiums. And firemen and cops have always had their own gyms or worked out at home if they wanted to keep strong.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 10:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My memory of gyms from before when the exercise movement hit was they were people throwing around medicine balls and using those weight-loss belts to vibrate away their fat parts.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 11:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
This matter seems to be very black and white to people. Either exercise obsessively like a hamster running on a wheel all day or do nothing whatsoever.

The obsessive behavior regarding exercise could very well be due to the nature of the exercise that simply won't fulfill the intended purpose, i.e. lose weight. Combine this with a malfunctioning brain due to a poor diet, and it's easy to see how this can lead to neurosis. We do it because we believe, it might work once because we've changed something, this reinforces our belief so we continue to do it even in the face of continued failure. But since we remember that it worked when we started, we reason that it's the change that made exercise effective so we change things around continuously in the hope that we'll break this plateau (circuit workouts anyone?). All the while eating the recommended diet of high carb to fuel our workouts compounding the problem further. Even if we don't change things around and stick with our trusty 5k per day, there's still the non-obedient nature of the exercise itself. Round we go in this futile endeavor.

These very muscular men? They do the same workout for years. It seems to work for them. But one thing they don't do, is things that don't work.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 11:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Gyms have been around forever. it's just that the 70s started the "safe machines" Nautilus gyms. Before that, they were old time strongmen gymnasiums. And firemen and cops have always had their own gyms or worked out at home if they wanted to keep strong.

I agree. However, I remember when gyms were rare and the equipment there was strictly free weights, i.e barbells and dumbbells. Nowadays, gyms are everywhere and few have free weights of any usefulness to me at least. It's all cardio stuff. The McGill gym contains 30+ motor-powered cardio machines and complex cable actuated apparatus which are almost always used but a single weightlifting platform and even fewer bumper plates that are almost always available when I get there. It's as if the real tools were an afterthought.

Market forces and all that.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

The real tools always win, hands-down, for convenience and affordability.
But form is important, too. Some say, most important! The one thing that machines give you is some reinforcement of good form, without needing a trainer to critique posture, etc. In this respect, they are valuable and, in the long run, cost-efficient.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 11:29

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmaniac
The one thing that machines give you is some reinforcement of good form, without needing a trainer to critique posture, etc. In this respect, they are valuable and, in the long run, cost-efficient.
If your body fits the machines. Sez me, a short fat woman who knows for a fact that many machines don't. In my fitness school's gym, the weight limits for the person using the machines are not posted and even the instructors don't know if the machines are rated for 250 pounds max (many are).

They are cost-efficient for the gym because they are more insurable. That was the big deal with moving to "training muscles" instead of "training movement." Exercise is inherently risky but the machines lower the risk.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 11:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/193/170 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I also think we used to be leaner, taller and more muscular. Exercise won't make us leaner or taller, but it might make us more muscular with the caveat that the diet must allow that to happen. Without the proper diet, we might as well sit all day long because muscles don't grow on sugar nor is protein useful in that respect when cells are insulin resistant.

Quote:
Ann Hum Biol. 2007 Mar-Apr;34(2):206-15.
The mysterious trend in American heights in the 20th century.

Komlos J, Lauderdale BE.

Chair of Economic History, University of Munich, Munich, Germany. John.Komlos~gmx.de

BACKGROUND: The secular trend in the height of the US population has been almost neglected in a comparative perspective, despite its being a useful indicator of early-life biological conditions. AIM: The study estimated the height of the US population and compared it to Western European trends after World War II. SUBJECTS AND METHOD: The complete set of NHES and NHANES data were analyzed, collected between 1959 and 2004 by the National Center for Health Statistics, in order to construct trends of the physical stature of US-born men and women limited to non-Hispanic blacks and whites. Also analyzed was the trend in the height of US military personnel whose parents were also born in the USA. The trends and levels were compared with those of several European populations. RESULTS: The increase in the physical stature of US adults slowed down by mid-century concurrent with a substantial acceleration in height attainment in Western and Northern Europe. Military data corroborate this finding in the main. After being the tallest population in the world ever since colonial times, Americans are now shorter than most Western and Northern Europeans and as much as 4.7-5.7 cm shorter than the Dutch, who are the tallest in world today. CONCLUSION: Given the well-established relationship between adult stature and early-life biological welfare, it was hypothesized that either American diets are sub-optimal or that the universal health care systems and social safety net of the European welfare states are providing a more favorable early-life health environment than does the American health care system.

PMID: 17558591 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I looked up the data on Americans being shorter in the past.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 12:22
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

When I said the machines were cost-efficient, I meant that you don't need someone to 'spot' you or critique your exercise. The instructions are usually right on the machine, as simple as they can be with pictures or diagrams.
The height thing could be a problem but I wonder if one of the trainers at the gym couldn't show you how to adjust the machine. If he or she is trained to do so, that is!
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 12:33

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
If your body fits the machines. Sez me, a short fat woman who knows for a fact that many machines don't. In my fitness school's gym, the weight limits for the person using the machines are not posted and even the instructors don't know if the machines are rated for 250 pounds max (many are).

They are cost-efficient for the gym because they are more insurable. That was the big deal with moving to "training muscles" instead of "training movement." Exercise is inherently risky but the machines lower the risk.

That's such a frustration. I hate those machines! I never touch them and I drive the trainers crazy (I only go to the gym if I'm injured and need the pool).
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/181/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
What's wrong with sitting or lying down? We lie down for a large part of the day, then we sit all day long at work at school at the cafe in the car in the bus in the train at the theater at a basketball game at the ski-lift at the show by the fire at home or elsewhere, what's wrong with that? We've been doing this for ages. What would suddenly make it bad for us? A priori, there's nothing wrong or bad or immoral about sitting or lying down. In other words, there's everything right about sitting and lying down. So take that out of the argument, and let's get to the real reasons people must exercise.

Get stronger? Yes. Faster? Yes. More agile, more enduring, quicker, more alert, more coordinated, more skillful? Yes and yes. But more healthy, as in healthy versus ill? No. Bed rest used to be the prescription to combat illnesses. Why would it now be the cure-all to combat lethargy? It's costly energy-wise to exercise, so is it to heal. Lethargy isn't a result of lack of exercise, it's the other way around. So what causes us to be lethargic? I mean, isn't that the real question? I bet it's something in the food. Maybe it's the food itself. Maybe it isn't food at all.

Yeah I was really only challenging your statement that people would be doing something just as physically challenging as exercise if they werent exercising. That being said, all those things you say exercise DOES do, I think are definitely some worthwhile benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdill
I think the spectrum idea is closer to the truth. Like many things, including food, water and oxygen, Goldilocks rules -- there is too little, too much , and just right.

Word up. We've all known 50 year old joggers who have dropped dead of heart attacks. And for some reason it's always considered a fluke! "He was in excellent shape!" uh, okay. He JOGGED himself to death at 50. But certainly you can't call completely couch locked individuals the picture of health. If your heart goes into a frenzy every time you walk across a room, that can't be good for you. And what is health but a predictor of your survival? Aren't you more likely to meet your demise if you can't run from danger or even if your balance is off and you're clumsy?