Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 21:19

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 237/236/165 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default Delicious Sauce!

I was bored of broccoli with butter so I decided to make up some sauce and it came out sooooo yummy! My boyfriend loved it too. Here's the recipe:

Garlic Cheddar sauce

1 cup soy milk (heavy cream would probably work just as well if not better)
2-3 tablespoons light cream cheese
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon cornstarch (or a similar thickener lower in carbs)
1 sprinkle each of salt, black pepper and oregano (sorry I didn't measure out the spices!)

Heat milk and crushed garlic over medium heat until hot. Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese, stir frequently until melted, bring to a very light boil. Mix cornstarch with 1-2 tablespoons of cold water. Whisk cornstarch mixture into sauce, reduce heat to low or take saucepan off heat, continue stirring until sauce thickens (it takes less than half a minute). Sauce will thicken slightly more as it cools. Add salt, black pepper and oregano to taste.

This sauce is divine over steamed fresh broccoli and sprinkled with a slice of crumbled bacon!!!

I put this recipe into fitday (using the soymilk) and it's only 13 net carbs! (16 total carbs). It's quite flavorful so you don't need much in a serving. I used 1/4 cup for my big pile of broccoli so it was only 3.25 carbs, yum!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 16:24

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Thanks, it look good and I'm going to try it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-11, 15:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/205/205 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default substitue thickener

Tally,

you mentioned in your garlic cheese sauce recipe that a substitue thickener for cornstarch could be used. any suggestions for a good lower carb substitute?

Willy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-11, 08:34
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I'm not Tally, but some suggestions here. If you use heavy cream and simmer a couple minutes, it will reduce and thicken on its own a bit. If still not thick enough, I would lightly dust a bit of xanthan gum or guar gum onto the surface and stir until thick.