Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 10:45

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%
Default Period Cravings and Low Carbing

Okay, I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which means I have problems with infertility because I don't have regular periods, and other problems.

I've been re-low carbing a month now and am excited about seeing myself shrink but I've had my period two months in a roll now-(which hasn't happened in a long time, I've gone as long as 6 months without a period)-which I think may be the result of losing weight because weight gain often interferes with ovalution. So, yesterday I cooked my 7 yr old dd's food which was rice-(for her only) and chicken and a salad, but I ended up eating about 3/4 cup of rice. I looked on the bag and it said that 1/4 cup of rice was 35 carbs. That's not including the butter. I don't need any extra weight added and this just blew off my whole diet. I'm not very upset with myself but I was wondering if I do start having regular periods, what could I eat when I have a carb attack???

I used to crave potatoes and rice during my periods but I haven't had to deal with it in so long. What do you do when you have your periods???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:22

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

I get huge cravings right before my period. I try to stave them off with lc chocolate though. Not the best answer, but it helps!

You didn't blow your whole diet. You had a little tiny slip. Brush yourself off and get back on track, and you'll do just great!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:24

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I eat radishes or celery with a small amount of peanut butter. Believe it or not they stop the cravings.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:29

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

Someone told me if you eat a certain type of food when you're craving sweet (salty maybe?) it will stop the sweet craving? Anyone? Bueller?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: BE AT 225 BY 6-14-04!!!
Stats: 380/315/225 Female 5ft4in
BF:225 BY 6-14-04
Progress: 42%
Default Don't give up you aren't the only one!!!!!

I go thru the same thing every month. I have this crazy craving for crunchy salty things. I usually have 16 wheat thins with lots of cheese. 16 wheat thins is about 19-20carbs. I try eating only 8 but usually go back for the other 8. The craving usually happens 2 to 3 days before I start, and then its gone. On the positive side, my period is so much easier when I'm on plan, The cramps are less and the general bloating and blah are way better. You stick with it!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 21:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

When I have PMS I could eat an entire house, cow, and chocolate factory. The only two things I have found that help are: Take two ounces of cream cheese and mix in splenda, cinnamon, and nutmeg to taste. Heat it in the microwave until bubbly and wolf down. Also, pour a diet rootbeer into a glass with ice and then add cream (as much as you can and still be under your carb count) and savor it slowly!

I love the SF candy and stuff but they stall me terribly and cause digestive problems too. I have to create my own fixes LOL! Orchid
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 23:40
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Nurse and Orchid,

THANK YOU for those ideas! both the wheat thins and the cream cheese with spices sound like they'd hit the spot when "those" urges come up! (BTW: you don't have to be PMSing to get 'em! I'm at that stage of perimenopause where my TOM comes every 6-8 months...just when I finally think "whoo boy, finally finished!"...but I get those "I could eat a horse complete with saddle and bridle" urges every 6-8 weeks or so.)

Jude
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 08:19

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 322.4/287/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 22%

I know what you mean! I'm there right now lol. I decided to somewhat give into my cravings- the only thing I crave is chocolate and the lc chocolates just don't cut it. I need the real thing. So I bought myself a bag of hershey kisses and I have 2 or 3 a day- 9 of them is 23 carbs. We also bought some Carbsmart icecream bars- ate 2 of them yesterday- I'm not exactly counting carbs this week, I know I'm still below 30 because I've been keeping track of what I eat, but I'm not stressing about it. My period started tuesday and I've lost 2 pounds since then- usually I gain about 4 this time of month.
I also figured out that whipping up some cream and adding cocoa powder and splenda to taste- not to shabby- tastes like chocolate mousse almost.
Other then that I have hershey's kisses lol- probably not a good example for lcers lol, but at least I'm not eating the whole bag!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 09:33

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

ooh...I wish I craved chocolate during that time cause that would solve my problem...I wish there was a potato/starch alternative...LOL!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 12:17

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 322.4/287/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 22%

Oh salt cravings! Pork Rinds! Dip them in blue cheese or ranch dressing! That's not too bad either

Also- this is just me, but if I were craving potatoes or something like that- make one SMALL potatoe and put sour cream or ranch dressing on it. Or like you said- a half cup of rice. Personally I don't think it's going to kill you- if you did it every day you might pay lol, but just once or twice, I think you'll be okay. I know I have been. I can't live without REAL chocolate this time of month- ask hubby, I'm a major moody witch if I don't my chocolate lol.