Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 11:51

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Carbs

How many carbs are considered acceptable? I mean, even a serving of green beans have about 5g. What should one aim for?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 04:56
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Tom,

It isn't a question of how many but more of "which". Eat all you like, but aim to have tons of vegetables and fibre to fill you up too. My practitioner says he allows "all vegetables" including swede (rutabaga), beetroot, and sweet potatoes and yams.

Also, wholegrain millet, wholegrain quinoa and wholegrain brown rice are also permitted and good for filling you up.

If you are not gluten intolerant (you need a test to find out for sure if you are or not), then you could allow Scotch oatmeal (little pinwheel type oats, not refined flakes).

You can also make a nice herb stuffing with butter, eggs, wholegrain cooked millet and herbs of your choice, which you can bake in the oven and which makes a nice accompaniment to some meals.

Green beans are fine---eat as much as you like, although obviously try to balance it with other veg as well for balance. Green beans are considered "free" on my parents' diabetic diets too, and my candida doctor permits "all vegetables", so go for it. Don't limit yourself on stuff like that, especially if you are trying to get well.

It isn't the amount on a candida diet but the type of carbs which is the problem No white potatoes, no white refined flour, try to avoid most flours in general, no french fries, nothing with sugar in it, and stick to stuff that you have to peel and cook yourself, not canned.

I was thinking of starting a recipe thread specifically for candida sufferers who log on and who are looking for something they CAN eat straight away and things which they can make without too much hassle. I have several in my book but let me know if you think it would be a good idea or not.

Of course, everyone could add recipes which would help, because otherwise we are all eating the same stuff all the time and it's nice to have a change.

What do you think?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 08:29

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Annajen, I think that is a fantastic idea! This is a very hard diet with a lot of contradictory info. I think you'd help a lot of people, myself included.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-10, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Ok . . . I'll give it a shot this week. I've discovered quite a few recipes which are quick, easy and full of natural anti-fungal ingredients so I'll see what I can do. Of course, everyone's contributions would be great, so I'll see about starting something and see what other people can contribute!