Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 17:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile Stillman's "Quick Weight Loss Diet" (QWL) buddies/support

This thread is for folks looking to give and receive support while following the Stillman QWL Diet .
Stillman's QWL = The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet, by Irwin Maxwell Stillman M.D. and Samm Sinclair Baker.

Quote:
BASIC RULES OF THE STILLMAN QWL DIET

(from the original book, published in 1967)

Eat all you wish of the following foods to satisfy hunger. If you eat until you've satisfied your hunger but haven't stuffed yourself, and then feel hungry before the next meal, you can eat again but only from the foods listed here. In fact, you're better off eating smaller meals 6 times a day than 3 bigger meals as a general custom. But you must limit yourself to this extensive selection of high protein foods.

1. LEAN MEATS, with all possible fat trimmed off. Includes beef, lamb and veal. Eat it broiled, boiled, baked or smoked. No butter, margarine, oil or other fats or greases are to be used either in the cooking or the eating.

2. CHICKEN AND TURKEY, with all skin and visible fat removed. Broiled, boiled or roasted, with no butter, margarine, oil or other fats or grease. Young fowl is preferable, but not necessary.

3. ALL LEAN FISH AND SEAFOOD, such as flounder, haddock, cod, perch .. shrimps, scallops, lobster, oysters, clams and crab. Broiled, baked or boiled. No butter, margarine, oil or other fats or grease permitted in preparation or eating. You may have cocktail sauce, horseradish, ketchup in moderation *note: moderation = 1 tsp/5 ml

4. EGGS, hard-boiled preferably. Also soft or medium boiled, poached or any type of fried eggs made in non-stick pans without butter, margarine or other fats or oils.

5. COTTAGE CHEESE, FARMER CHEESE, POT CHEESE, and other cheeses made with skim milk. No whole milk cheeses.

6. AT LEAST 8 GLASSES OF WATER DAILY, absolutely essential! As much as you want of coffee and tea without cream, milk or sugar. You may sweeten with non-caloric sugar-substitute to taste. Enjoy all the club soda, vichy water and non-caloric carbonated beverages you wish, as often as desired.
However, the 8 glasses of water daily are in addition to whatever coffee, tea or non-caloric beverages you drink. This is an integral part of the specific internal process put in motion by the Quick Weight Loss Diet. Much more of your body fat is burned up than with most other diets. This leaves in its wake the waste products or ashes of burnt fat (= ketones ). They must all be washed out of your system by water which also serves to relieve any unpleasant dryness and taste in the mouth.

You may use common seasonings such as salt, pepper, garlic, cloves, thyme, other herbs and spices, cocktail sauce, tabasco sauce, horseradish, ketchup. Don't use any creamy or oily sauces or dressings. No mayonnaise, no salad dressings, no fats or oils.

It is desirable to take vitamins daily with the diet, such as a once-daily multiple vitamin and mineral tablet.

NOTHING ELSE IS PERMITTED ON THIS DIET --- NOTHING!
IF IT'S NOT MENTIONED IN THE PRECEDING LIST, DON'T EAT IT OR DRINK IT. The addition of any other food or drink will prevent the full and efficient functioning of the high protein internal reducing process which burns up more fat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATES TO THE QWL FOOD LISTS

(from the QWL Cookbook, published in 1972)

LEAN MEATS .. now includes lean pork, ham and lean sausages. Also lean game meats such as venison and rabbit, as well as chicken livers.

FISH AND SEAFOOD .. now includes all varieties of canned fish or seafood packed in water, or if packed in oil or sauce should be drained and washed under running water to remove it.

CLEAR SOUPS, without fats. Includes broths, bouillon or consommé made from meat, poultry or fish. Fat-free vegetable broth or bouillon (eg. onion or mushroom) is permitted, as long as all bits of vegetable matter are strained out.

ARTIFICIALLY SWEETENED GELATIN DESSERT, no more than 12 calories per half-cup serving. Check package to be sure.

CONDIMENTS, now includes mustard and vinegar (not sweet types), lemon and lime juice, onion and garlic powder in small amounts. Also may use small amounts of dry wine or other spirit in recipes, as long as the alcohol is allowed to cook away. Soy sauce is permitted as long as it contains no sugar or caramel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best of luck to all QWL followers

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 17:54
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Thanks, Doreen!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 18:04
Forum Founder

BF:

You're welcome!

Re-reading the book and typing that post has inspired me to want to jump on board with you . Not right away though .. I've got some fatty pork ribs in the slow-cooker as I type, and absolutely no room in my freezer . So I'll have to wait till the ribs are gone (down my gullet ).

I've been stuck at 205 for so long, I'm starting to think that number is actually painted on the scale . Like many of you, I find that high fat is okay for weight maintenance, but doesn't provide the same satiety for weight loss as protein does. A couple weeks of QWL should help get things unstuck.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 18:11

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Interesting!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 18:21
Real food!

BF:

Doreen, I had to do the same thing when I decided to give Stillman a go. I had some avocados (which I love, and aren't particularly cheap) and a bit of fatty meat in the fridge. So, I took a few days to finish those up first. I had to put all my coconut oil into the freezer in the garage. It'll wait for me. As I keep saying, at this point, satiety over variety, if I'm going to make it. I can live with a very limited diet far easier than I can live with hunger. I just cannot deal with hunger, though. It feels good to have hunger satisfied AND be able to eat low enough in kcals to lose weight again.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 18:31
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Mind if I join you? Stillman was my first (and successful) experience with low carb and it's the only plan that kept cravings and hunger at bay. While following Ruhl's guidelines, I still get hungry. The challenge will be to train myself into low fat again. I've been satisfied at 50% of calories coming from fat so we'll see.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 18:39
Real food!

BF:

Hey, Blue! Great to see you. As you may recall, I was having too much hunger on the Ruhl plan, too. The kcals were right on, but the lower protein and higher fat left me wanting to eat the house. Right now, the only fat I'm getting is the little bit in the lean meats and in whole eggs. I'm even eating a mix of whole eggs and egg white only to keep fat and kcals down when I'm eating and egg-heavy meal. The whites are actually quite satisfying, despite how light they are.

My fat percentage averages about 35%, with kcals around 1300 most days. I find that I seem to be getting less hungry, though, from day to day, which is great.

I was surprised that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to move to lower fat. I guess not being hungry makes missing fat far less of an issue. And, of course, seeing the scale move down.

Good luck to you!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 18:46
It's Only Food!

BF:

Thanks! That's pretty much how I felt too.....and as you know, the cats where getting edgy. I was ready to eat anything that didn't move. However I was making progress in losing. TAJ (The Amazing Jimbo), has given me a few looks when I've declined vegetables today but he's seen how hard I've worked to lose these 44 pounds and he won't object.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 18:50
Real food!

BF:

My Jim was skeptical that I'd be able to stay away from vegetables. He's so used to seeing me revel in cauliflower with coconut oil.

I think we both saw that we could lose with Ruhl, because of the low kcals. The problem was finding a way to eat the lower kcals without being so darned hungry. So far, so good with Stillman!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 18:53

Plan: CRON
Stats: 178/117/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:BMI 18.5 Yay!
Progress: 127%

Thanks for thinking of us with a new thread.

I did not know there was a cookbook, so I went to Amazon to see if any copies are available, and there are some used copies there that aren't too expensive.

I also requested that the book be made available on Kindle. Sorta doubt that happens, but you never know.

It's great to hear soy sauce is "allowed." I haven't used it since I was on Atkins. I just checked the label of the Low Sodium Kikkoman and it doesn't look like there's any sugar in there.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 19:00
It's Only Food!

BF:

Thank you, Doreen, for reposting the guidelines.

Marxist! Nice to meet you.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 19:13
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by femur
I did not know there was a cookbook, so I went to Amazon to see if any copies are available, and there are some used copies there that aren't too expensive.

The cookbook is great .. no need to subsist endlessly on plain dry chicken breast or water-pack tuna. There are two weeks' worth of menus, which are great for ideas.

It also includes an overview and recipes for Stillmans' other plan, the Quick Inches Off Diet. That one is the antithesis of his QWL .. very low to no protein, mostly carbs from vegetables and fruits, and some starches (no beans or nuts though, as they're too high in protein). Some fat is allowed, eg a splash of cream in coffee, a bit of oil on a salad or smear of butter on a slice of low-protein bread. I can't imagine staying on such a plan for more than a day

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 19:17
Real food!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
It also includes an overview and recipes for Stillmans' other plan, the Quick Inches Off Diet. That one is the antithesis of his QWL .. very low to no protein, mostly carbs from vegetables and fruits, and some starches (no beans or nuts though, as they're too high in protein). Some fat is allowed, eg a splash of cream in coffee, a bit of oil on a salad or smear of butter on a slice of low-protein bread. I can't imagine staying on such a plan for more than a day

Oh, gosh, that sounds awful! I can't imagine wanting to even try that, knowing what I know about my own body. I'll pass on that one.

I may want to check out the cookbook, though, at some point.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 20:12

Plan: CRON
Stats: 178/117/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:BMI 18.5 Yay!
Progress: 127%

I don't know, I was kinda thinking I wanted to try the "Pilot's Diet" from the main book.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 20:40

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

I am giving it a fresh go from tomorrow!! I bought skinny jeans today, and skinny is one thing I do NOT look like in them, right now.

This new thread is great! Thanks so much Doreen!!

And it sounds like everyone is doing great and feeling really inspired!!

I can't wait to make some new progress!!

CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!!