Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-09, 10:28

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Sheila41, don't hold your breath for an answer. If you look at the dates in this thread, it seems to be filled with hit-and-run posters. I wonder if some of them are trolls, or bumping the thread because they stand to benefit financially from sales of threelac.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 02:15

Plan: none
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress:

Although this thread is dead, the OP mentions Threelac and Noni juice that caught my eye enough to respond.

Researching a little, noni juice seems like a scam - a toxic one. Read this warning site: http://noni.worldwidewarning.net/index.php

Threelac does not have a great reputation either. The first result is of a bad experience in a google search for that single term: http://www.holistichelp.net/threelac.html

It seems that most of the marketing opportunists are like killer bacteria, they popularize products and continue promoting their revenue growth by supplying ad space with more money than the competitor.

I'm not sure about the oxygen elements plus, don't have any experience with it. Will have to do more research or find research to back up any claims of benefits.

I've had boughts of candida orally, probably internaly as well, after rounds of antibiotics. Testing out Nystatin to see how well it helps. According to the doctor, the liquid form only helps from the mouth to the stomach. Anything beyond requires Diflucan or other drug to reach through the intestines and colon.

I'm aware that most people are searching for natural alternatives to drugs, the drugs are overpriced without insurance. Does anyone have ample proof that Oil of Oregano or other natural substance has fungi killing or inhibiting properties? We all read or hear claims, but finding the original source of the claims should be our primary goal. However, I believe third party testers non-affiliated with any commercial sales companies or products are the only true way to guage the efficacy of any product that is thought to have theraputic claims.

But... once a product is theraputic, a drug company may conduct personal runs of tests to determine efficacy of curing, mitigating, treating, or preventing disease, patent the product, and sell under another name. Thoughts, opinions?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 15:56

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

I will reinterate that ThreeLac and all the ThreeLac products, including Oxygen Elements were a waste of time and money for me. Twice.

I have had luck with coconut oil and oil of oregano, both internally and topically. Candida symptoms are markedly reduced when taking it and reappear after a week or so of not taking it. OoO tastes really nasty but it seems to be pretty effective as well. When I am done with this bottle I am going to try clove oil (which hopefully will taste better!) as I've actually found that changing anti-fungals actually DOES help me. I also like a Solaray product called Candida Cleanse--not selling it by any means, it's just more convenient when travelling. Lots of similar products out there.

Things that I have tried that have been less effective: cat's claw, goldenseal, black cohosh husk, pau d'arco (extract AND tea), and grapefruit seed extract. GSE--talk about a NASTY tasting supplement! Anyway, hope some of that is helpful just as anecdotal evidence...
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

This is a good thread, although I realize few people have posted in it for awhile.

I've been so sick with what looks like yeast that I thought I was going to die too at one point. My blood pressure was so low my husband used to wake up at night to check on me, and I was having a lot of problems breathing. I was interested to see what other people took for this.

I started the Candida diet after I realized that garlic and, interestingly, beetroot (US = red beets) helped a lot. I worked out that garlic was antifungal and that beetroot, although it does have some sugars in it, turns into nitrous oxide in the blood and has a huge oxygenating effect which made me feel almost normal for several hours per day until it wore off.

At that point I started buying the antifungals OTC and the herbal supplements and had terrible die off symptoms which are continuing, although milder now than they were initially. The biggest improvement was in my breathing without gasping for breath.

I'm just starting this road and so I will need all the help and support people can give, if you're out there and you have made any progress, please chime in with anything---even just a Hi"

I'll see the Candida doctor tomorrow for the first time (my other doctors wouldn't believe candida was a possibility, despite my having been on the diet for a month with the first improvements I've had in my symptoms for 3 years). Then I'll check out the intro page and the journal etc.

But my main questions are . . . will I ever be able to go back to a semi-normal diet or eat out at a restaurant occasionally again? I mean, even if I follow this for a year or 18 months? I'm not planning on going back to a completely high carb lifestyle or anything, and I do go running and swimming when I can, and I've never been overweight, but has anyone managed to eat sensibly but occasionally have a croissant or something again after this?

Many thanks for all your help and support!

Annajen
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/134/120 Female 5ft2in
BF:
Progress:
Default Candida and bad breath

Has anyone suffered with bad breath while experiencing side effects of candida overgrowth? I have had candida for about eight years and I just realized it about two years ago. With bad breath being one of the symptoms, I have also suffered from high blood pressure, depression, aggressiveness, fatigue, decreased libido, acne, suicidal ideation and the list goes on and on. I have went to the doctor and just like everyone else they think it's all in your head, but you know its not. Emotionally I can remember when I was so much happier, but now I can start feeling down within a minute because of nothing. With the bad breath I can't smell it, but I suffer from the white coating on my tongue and when I speak to people they usually withdraw or have a repulse look on their face. Out of all the symptoms I have been experiencing the bad breath has to go. My work requires me to interact with people on a regular basis and we all know that no one wants to smell funk when they are talking to someone. If anyone has found a remedy for bad breath can you please share. I need help bad!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 15:09

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I got rid of bad breath in a way that seems almost ridiculously obvious in hindsight:

I stopped eating garlic and onions.

What finally convinced me to try it was reading about the low-FODMAP diet. It turns out that the symptoms of candida are a lot like the symptoms of SIBO and fructose malabsorption, and as far as I can tell it's not worth the effort of trying to find out which one you have. Eliminating all fermentable sugars from the diet made a difference for me, especially with my breath. Garlic and onions have fructans - fructose polymers that are also found in grains like wheat. Other problem foods for me were crucifers like asparagus and raw broccoli, fruits like apples and peaches, and of course beans and dairy.

So, Annajen, will you ever be able to go back to "normal" foods? Maybe not. But take heart: these steps will very likely lead you to being happy with your diet:

Tell yourself you're going to do a trial elimination. Whatever food you think is bothering you, cut it out for at least 2 weeks. 5 weeks is better. Then comes the fun part: Add it back to your diet and see how you feel. If you don't introduce more than one new food in a 3-day period, you'll have a pretty good idea of whether it's causing you trouble.

The amazing thing about this method is that 99% of the time, you'll never even want to try that food again. So many foods create cravings in us, just like addictive drugs. We feel like we need them, but when we force ourselves to go without them, we realize all they brought us was misery, and it's just not worth it anymore.

And will you be able to eat at restaurants? Yes. If they're steakhouses.

The bad news is, "die-off symptoms" never stopped for me. Garlic and coconut oil and all the other candida "cures" I tried just caused intense gas and discomfort for as long as I used them. Eventually I said, "who needs it?" I was tired of trying to guess whether I was experiencing die-off or further proliferation. I'm nearly carnivorous now, though I still eat sauerkraut and lemon juice. Although I still have a gassy stomach quite often, the pain is gone and I'm regular for the first time in my life.

Last edited by capmikee : Mon, Nov-02-09 at 15:15.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 04:04
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks capmikee!

Actually, I saw the doctor two weeks ago and he said that in his opinion he thinks it is candida. I know already from previous testing that I'm food intolerant and/or allergic to yeast, fermented foods (coffee and chocolate came out very bad for allergy, along with soy) and so I'm on a "cook it fresh myself" diet which means having to make everything from scratch with none of the allergic foods in it. This is helping a lot.

Also, he put me on magnesium hydrogen peroxide therapy for a week which really also helped, although the die off from that was pretty noticeable at times. I felt I could finally breathe!

One thing that helps too I've noticed with keeping regular and avoiding really bad die off symptoms in the gut is once a day I have a glass of aloe vera juice mixed with 2 tablespoons of psyllium husks (or Lepicol which is a brand name version of psyllium husks) and water about half an hour before lunch. This is also very good for cleaning everything out and aloe vera is apparently anti-candida stuff from what I've read.

So far, so good. Most of my die-off symptoms are actually muscular and in the central nervous system (burning feeling in the nerves sometimes and in the hands especially when I first began the treatment, plus heat-sensitivity). These respond well to garlic and antifungals, but I appreciate that some of these things might not suit all people if there is gas and discomfort with it.

Now my kids are back in school after the October hols here, I'll fill in a proper profile and more info in the journal/diary section.

Nice to meet you, and many thanks for your reply!!!

Annajen