Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Oct-17-17, 03:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back, Abigail,
The same video that started this thread...now up to 2.2 million views! Amazing how many lives she may have touched through her 15 minute talk.

There are tantalizing hints of good one year results from her trial through Virta, though it must still be going through the publication process. More information on her diabetes is at my now poorly titled Virta thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476612

More information on the Diabetes forum too: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Oct-17-17, 07:00
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The same video that started this thread...now up to 2.2 million views! Amazing how many lives she may have touched through her 15 minute talk.

I watched Sarah's video again last night. Yes, it is still terrific. The only bummer was that the very next Tedx video that popped up was one from Neal Barnard purporting that a plant based diet can resolve and reverse diabetes. It has one million views and also sounds pretty convincing. No wonder people are so confused. So much yak, yak, yak from different sides. He spent a lot of time discussing why humans were not meant to eat meat. The canine teeth, bunny example was pretty silly, if you ask me. I wasn't sold. I'll stick with Sarah Hallberg's advice.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 09:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A new profile of Dr. Hallberg:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...-sarah-hallberg

She is posting on Virta health's blog now. And her TedTalk is at 2.7 million views.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 10:45

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I watched Sarah's video again last night. Yes, it is still terrific. The only bummer was that the very next Tedx video that popped up was one from Neal Barnard purporting that a plant based diet can resolve and reverse diabetes. It has one million views and also sounds pretty convincing. No wonder people are so confused. So much yak, yak, yak from different sides. He spent a lot of time discussing why humans were not meant to eat meat. The canine teeth, bunny example was pretty silly, if you ask me. I wasn't sold. I'll stick with Sarah Hallberg's advice.

Yeah, lol at the bunny teeth. Humans don't need to rip out an animal's throat with their teeth, or use their teeth to pull off skin etc. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Flat teeth are as useful for mashing up nuts and making them more digestible as they are for grains.

Comparing a polar bear and a panda, the polar bear has the longer digestive tract of a herbivore and the panda has a shorter, more "carnivorous" digestive tract. The panda makes up for this by passing impressive amounts of bamboo through its system so that it can get enough of the easier to digest nutrients to get by.

There's a grain of truth, a higher carb/lower fat diet does result in higher insulin sensitivity than a mixed diet. I wouldn't discourage somebody who's tried it and has success on it, though I might suggest that some supplementation makes sense, and point out that lean protein really doesn't have the same effect vs. insulin sensitivity that a mixed fat and carbohydrate diet does.

Also there's the question of how typical the results are, Barnard talks about people whose diabetes is reversed, his studies paint a milder picture on average, though there are likely to be some hyper responders in there. And even if low fat were better than low carb, (it's not) if people were more likely to adhere to low carb that could still make it the better approach.

Quote:
A low-fat vegan diet and a conventional diabetes diet in the treatment of type 2 diabetes: a randomized, controlled, 74-wk clinical trial.
Barnard ND1, Cohen J, Jenkins DJ, Turner-McGrievy G, Gloede L, Green A, Ferdowsian H.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Low-fat vegetarian and vegan diets are associated with weight loss, increased insulin sensitivity, and improved cardiovascular health.

OBJECTIVE:
We compared the effects of a low-fat vegan diet and conventional diabetes diet recommendations on glycemia, weight, and plasma lipids.

DESIGN:
Free-living individuals with type 2 diabetes were randomly assigned to a low-fat vegan diet (n = 49) or a diet following 2003 American Diabetes Association guidelines (conventional, n = 50) for 74 wk. Glycated hemoglobin (Hb A(1c)) and plasma lipids were assessed at weeks 0, 11, 22, 35, 48, 61, and 74. Weight was measured at weeks 0, 22, and 74.

RESULTS:
Weight loss was significant within each diet group but not significantly different between groups (-4.4 kg in the vegan group and -3.0 kg in the conventional diet group, P = 0.25) and related significantly to Hb A(1c) changes (r = 0.50, P = 0.001). Hb A(1c) changes from baseline to 74 wk or last available values were -0.34 and -0.14 for vegan and conventional diets, respectively (P = 0.43). Hb A(1c) changes from baseline to last available value or last value before any medication adjustment were -0.40 and 0.01 for vegan and conventional diets, respectively (P = 0.03). In analyses before alterations in lipid-lowering medications, total cholesterol decreased by 20.4 and 6.8 mg/dL in the vegan and conventional diet groups, respectively (P = 0.01); LDL cholesterol decreased by 13.5 and 3.4 mg/dL in the vegan and conventional groups, respectively (P = 0.03).

CONCLUSIONS:
Both diets were associated with sustained reductions in weight and plasma lipid concentrations. In an analysis controlling for medication changes, a low-fat vegan diet appeared to improve glycemia and plasma lipids more than did conventional diabetes diet recommendations. Whether the observed differences provide clinical benefit for the macro- or microvascular complications of diabetes remains to be established.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-18, 07:31
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Dr. Hallberg's TEDx talk has been published in the BMJ.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2...rts-2017-098500
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-18, 12:00
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Wow. That looks like a very good article. Thanks for posting this. I wish that I could read it all.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 19:45

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I just watched the first video in the first post of this very long thread. What stage presence, and what a polished performance as a speaker. Very informative. I thought it was excellent, and I look forward to reviewing some of the other links here.