Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 02:02

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 265/192/210
BF:
Progress: 133%
Default He saved my life

and he saved hundreds of thousand or even millions of lives, and now I need to return the favor. I will endeavor to make this WOL a reality in someone else's life. The ultimate tribute is to quietly spread Robert's message, one person at a time, enabling others to rediscover the joys of robust living.

/mh
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 02:16

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Approach
Stats: 204/199/170
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default really sad

This is really sad for me. I just read an articlein fitness rx where he was discussing things about the ANA. I amjust heartbroken and my prayers go out to his wife and family.
  #108   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 04:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/148/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Thank you Doctor...

Few people have had the life changing impact that Dr. Atkins had on me.

Over the years he was criticized and ridiculed for his beliefs which flew in the face of conventional nutritional philosophy. He was a courageous man who changed the world. He knew, and thanks to him I discovered, the benefits of this WOE. Thank you Doctor, dankar

Last edited by dankar : Fri, Apr-18-03 at 14:33.
  #109   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 05:36

Stats: 217/210.5/135
BF:
Progress: 8%

May Dr. Atkins rest in peace. His legacy will live on and millions of people, will be forever grateful for his courage and for all he did to make the lives and health of people better.

Deepest sympathy to his family, friends and colleagues.

Dee
  #110   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 08:35

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

I am just so sad about Dr. Atkins. I feel like I lost a great teacher. I am even more determined now to keep up with this WOE and show everyone I know that it really works. He was a great inspiration, to me, and so many others. He certainly left a legacy to be proud of.

May you rest with the angels, Dr. Atkins!

-Denise
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 09:11

Stats: 315/299/240
BF:
Progress: 21%
Unhappy god bless you Dr. Atkins

A very sad day for me indeed. I found so much inspiration and message of hope in his book.

God Bless you Dr. Atkins
  #112   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 09:45

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

michenry
You are right about spreading the word. I am doing that as well.

Some day he will be looked on as a great pioneer. I was truly saddened by the news. Best wishes to his family and friends.

Last edited by kghamilton : Fri, Apr-18-03 at 09:47.
  #113   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:14

Plan: Atkins, Bernstein
Stats: 203/193/137 Male 65"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'm crying...
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/200/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Dr Atkins

Hi, I have just read of Dr Atkins death, my sincere condolences to his family.
It is indeed a sad day but we will continue in our efforts to be slim and healthy in honour of him and continue to 'spread the word', and value the legacy that he left us - knowledge.

Annette
  #115   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:55
Registered Member

Stats: 311/291/160
BF:
Progress: 13%
Unhappy

I have tried to read all of the posting about the Dear Dr.'s passing and it gave me such a lump in my throat that I had to stop.

This is one of the few diets that I have been on that truely helps me with my carb addiction/food addiction. I pray that his family finds peace in his tremendous work and all of the wonderful things said about him. He touched so many lives...he will NEVER be forgotten....

What a sad day!!!!!

#116   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 13:23

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

I went to a nice restaurant last night, ordered a filte mignon rare, a side of sauteed mushrooms, and a glass of wine. I made a silent toast to Dr. Atkins, thanking him for the 30 odd pounds I've lost, for making it possible for me to weigh less than I have in about 15 years.

Thanks again, Doc.
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 13:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/156/130
BF:32%
Progress: 33%
Unhappy my hero dr atkins

hi everyone, i am new to this site, i really like it alot.
i am very saddened though to here that dr atkins is no longer around. my prayers are with him and his family. but no matter what dr atkins will still be a big part of my life now and forever.
i am a true believer in his studies and i enjoy reading his books.
however i am fairly new to what is out their. thats why i joined here, hoping to expand my knowledge of this new way of life.
gtg tearfully tesa
  #118   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 13:55
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default NYT: "Dr. Robert C. Atkins, 72, Author of Controversial Diet Books, Dies"

Dr. Robert C. Atkins, 72, Author of Controversial Diet Books, Dies
By DOUGLAS MARTIN
link to NY Times article

Dr. Robert C. Atkins, a cardiologist who devised a hotly debated weight-loss plan favoring steak and eggs over spaghetti and spinach that more than 30 million Americans have tried, died yesterday in Manhattan. He was 72.

Dr. Atkins fell and suffered head injuries on April 8 on the sidewalk in front of his Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine in Manhattan, where he also lived. The center offered an eclectic mix of traditional and alternative treatments for many illnesses and conditions, including obesity.

In April 2002, he was hospitalized for cardiac arrest, which doctors said was caused by an infection unrelated to his diet.

In 1972, Dr. Atkins published one of the most influential weight-loss plans of the 20th century, "Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution." Its various editions sold more than 15 million copies, making it one of the best-selling books ever. Dr. Atkins said he had helped people lose 200 million pounds, and his book has occupied the best-seller list for years at a time.

His newest book, "Atkins for Life" (St. Martin's, 2003), tops the hardcover advice book best-seller list in The New York Times, while the paperback edition of "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution" (M. Evans, 1999) has led the paperback list for more than 300 weeks.

His weight-loss theory has nonetheless struck some experts on health and diet as dangerously wrongheaded: he told patients and readers to eat all the fat they wanted — as much as two-thirds of their diet — but to cut back significantly on carbohydrates, the food group most dietitians have come to advocate over the last quarter-century. He said the human body would burn its own fat if it had no carbohydrates to burn first.

Accordingly, Dr. Atkins advised dieters to choose bacon and eggs over fruit salad, to throw away the bun and eat the burger. He promised that lobster dripping with butter was better for weight loss than a bran muffin.

Indeed, part of the surge in the popularity of pork rinds in the 1990's was Dr. Atkins's endorsement.

The dietary villains, he said, are refined sugar — per capita consumption in the United States increased by 30 pounds a year between 1960 and 1980 — and white flour, which rose by 64 pounds during the same time. Fat intake, meanwhile, had sunk.

Dr. Atkins liked to point out that 100 years ago, when there were few recorded heart attacks, lard was the No. 1 fat.

His numerous critics countered that the Atkins diet would not work beyond a few months, and that it could cause heart problems, constipation, fatigue and bad breath. Dr. Dean Ornish, an advocate of low-fat eating and a fervent foe of Dr. Atkins, said that the fact that some people could lose weight by smoking cigarettes did not mean that smoking was good for them.

Dr. Atkins acknowledged that there had been no long-range studies to test his diet, although the National Institutes of Health have begun a large study. A team of doctors from Stanford and Yale Universities published a report on April 9 in The Journal of the American Medical Association that did not discount the Atkins diet, although it suggested that people on it lost weight because they consumed fewer calories — not fewer carbohydrates, as Dr. Atkins maintained.

Citing recent small-scale studies, the current issue of The Harvard Health Letter said the Atkins approach, which it called "the bad boy of diets," was becoming harder to dismiss out of hand. The letter called the diet "an antidote to the dumbed-down antifat message."

Fighting fat is an indisputably growing market. The Journal of the American Medical Association reported last October that the proportion of overweight Americans had increased to 64.5 percent, from 55.9 percent in 1994. The market for weight-loss plans and products is $35 billion a year, and Dr. Atkins tapped it with scores of products, including cookbooks, energy bars and diet-oriented ocean cruises.

Robert Coleman Atkins was born in Columbus, Ohio, on Oct. 17, 1930. His family moved to Dayton, Ohio, where his father owned restaurants, when he was in the seventh grade. At 14, he got a job selling shoes. At 16, he appeared on a local radio show with other youths and had thoughts of becoming a comedian.

He graduated from the University of Michigan and spent a summer as a waiter and entertainer at resorts in the Adirondacks.

He graduated from the Cornell University Medical School and did residencies in internal medicine and cardiology at hospitals affiliated with the University of Rochester and Columbia University.

He opened his own office on the Upper East Side in 1959. In his 1975 book, "The Super-Doctors," Roger Rapoport wrote that early on, Dr. Atkins had trouble getting patients and became depressed. The 33-year-old man looked in the mirror. It was 1963.

"I appeared to be 45," Dr. Atkins was quoted as saying in the book. "I weighed 193 pounds and had three chins. I couldn't get up before 9 a.m. and never saw patients before 10. I decided to go on a diet."

Not just any diet. He did prodigious research and settled on a no-carbohydrate plan pioneered by Dr. Alfred W. Pennington, who had done ground-breaking work during World War II at DuPont. In slightly more than 100 days, Dr. Pennington's 20 test subjects lost an average of 22 pounds by eliminating sugar and starch.

Dr. Atkins found a specific adaptation of this dietary approach in The Journal of the American Medical Association. He started off hoping to lose three pounds in the first month and ended up dropping 20.

The young doctor was then hired as a medical consultant by the American Telephone and Telegraph Company. Of 65 patients he treated, he got 64 down to their ideal weights. The 65th made it halfway.

Word abut his diet spread and he appeared on the "Tonight" show with Buddy Hackett in 1965. Various magazines reported on his diet: it became known as the Vogue diet after the magazine published it in 1970.

He accepted an offer from Bantam Books to write a paperback with Ruth West, a writer. The publisher told him to forget footnotes and bibliography and aim beyond medical experts. As a result, the book translated scientific arguments into chatty layman's language.

He sold hardcover rights to the publisher David McKay, which brought the book out in September 1972. By Christmas it had sold 200,000 copies; by April 1973, 900,000.

Dr. Atkins was sued several times by dissatisfied clients, and in 1993 his medical license was briefly suspended. The suspension occurred after another doctor complained that Dr. Atkins was treating a woman with ozone, which he had said would kill cancer cells in her blood. The other doctor treated the patient for an embolism, an air bubble that had blocked a blood vessel in her brain.

A judge ruled that the suspension was not warranted. But Dr. Atkins's heightened involvement in alternative medical techniques, including herbal medicine and acupuncture, provoked further controversy. His clinic is named "complementary" because he tries to combine traditional and new approaches.

For about 20 years, he fell out of the public eye and pursued alternative healing. Then the publication of "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution" in 1992 thrust him back into the spotlight, with many commentators at first calling it an artifact of the 1970's. It is the revised edition of this book that now leads the paperback best-seller list.

Dr. Atkins is survived by his wife, Veronica, with whom he wrote the best-selling "Dr. Atkins' Quick and Easy New Diet Cookbook" (Fireside, 1997), and his mother, Norma Atkins of Palm Beach, Fla.

His mother exasperated her son by not following his famous diet, he said in an interview with The Detroit Free Press in 2001.

"She cheats," he said.
  #119   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 14:52

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I am so sad. I was praying for a miracle too. That man has changed my life so much too because he started a movement, a phenomenon that led other ppl to question the low fat dogma.

I was hoping to meet him someday and thank him and am sad that now I never will.

I pray for his wife and family, that they can somehow get throught the dark times ahead.
  #120   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 17:31

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 218/217.5/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

My sympathies to the Atkins Family.......he surely will be sadly missed. I'm so glad I was able to discover this way of eating while I was able to see him on TV talking about the new revolution diet and his beliefs. Atkins will go on............and time and more proven studies will show that he knew what he was talking about. God Bless him.