Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 10:25

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi everybody. I’ve been enjoying this forum for a while now and have gotten to know some of you, so before I jump into conversations, I’ll tell you a bit about me.

I need to lose close to a hundred pounds. It crept on steadily over twenty years due to carbohydrate binging. Two years ago, I heard the Protein Power Plan advertising on C-FUN. Phoned about it, but it was soooo expensive! When I saw a used kit for sale in the classifieds, I snapped it up. Three of us in my family started on it. We were stunned by the good food. My sixteen-year-old son said “I’m going to lose weight eating this?” And he did – fifty pounds that have stayed off. He looks awesome and is so happy about it.
I lost too, but more slowly. In eight months I was down thirty pounds. Then the wheels fell off. One big distraction was that my daughter got married (lots of sandwiches left over), but I think the biggest problem was that I realized I would have to low-carb for about three years at the rate I was going, and I was scared off by all the bad press from the so-called health experts.

So, the sad news is that I lost my commitment and by the end of this past Christmas I had regained twenty-nine pounds. Enough is enough. Since low-carb is the only eating plan that has worked for me, I decided to re-read all the books (including Atkins NDR and CAD) As of January 1, 2001, low-carb is my permanent lifestyle.
This time I am losing much more slowly. (SIGH!!!) but I am not complaining (I just kick myself every so often!) The improved energy and elation I have on this WOE are worth it, not to mention the complete lack of cravings. That’s worth a fortune.

Well, this is plenty long for one post. I’ll finish by saying that I still follow the PPP. I try keep my daily effective carb count in the low twenties, although I don’t call it a bad day unless I go over thirty. (Nowadays, even my binges are low-carb.LOL)
Looking forward to interacting with you all,
Kay

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 10:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kay,

Congratulations on getting back on the wagon!

And, congratulations on re-reading the books. You can never have too much infromation about this WOE. As you have found out, knowledge is power.

You have said it very succinctly here...

"The improved energy and elation I have on this WOE are worth it, not to mention the complete lack of cravings. That’s worth a fortune."

So true! It's worth it!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 11:53

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I appreciate those kind words, Karen.

I don't know if you read my test post so I'll say it again here.

"Karen B - Thanks for your down-to-earth, feet-firmly-planted-on-the-ground attitude. I don’t generally experience miracles and I appreciate knowing that low-carb will (eventually) work for plodders like me. You are very encouraging in this area."

I always get a lift from your posts. Thanks for the work you do on this board. We appreciate it.

Kay
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 12:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks so much Kay! I am honored!

This whole WOL has been a great process of discovery for me. It has not been just a matter of changing the way I eat, but changing my attitude, "in-look" and outlook. This WOL is very difficult at times but the rewards have been immense. I have used food for so many things besides bodily fuel and the process of discovery has given me more freedom and control over my life. I can only wish others the same...

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 13:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking hi Kay, and welcome to our merry band of losers!

I always suspected that we have quite a few "regular" lurkers; it's so nice to get the chance to say hello, and have a two-way interaction!

I'm a slow-loser too, but the support and friendship from the wonderful folks here at LowCarb Canada has really made the difference for staying committed and on track. I'm coming up to my one year lowcarb anniversary -- I'm down 30 lbs, with at least another 35 to go. And I'm ok with the knowledge it'll take another year or more to reach that goal. But in the meantime, I HAVE reached another important goal. That is, lowcarbing is now my way of life. It's my habit. That being said, I still crave Ruffles potato chips, probably always will -- *sigh*

You're right about reading and re-reading "the books". I keep finding new things that I missed the time before. Or points that I had forgotten.

Look forward to reading more posts from you! ..

Doreen