Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 07:03

Plan: never
Stats: 230/230/230
BF:
Progress:
Default new to this site and have MAJOR candida questions

Hello everyone- I have some questions about possible candidiasis. I have had diarrhea off and on for about 2 years now. Sometime there are periods of constipation as well. I have had 3 episodes of severe stomach/intestinal pain with horrible diarrhea over the past 4 years. I have been a bodybuilder for approx 5 years-which means that I have eaten a very high carbohydrate diet continuously as well as consuming tons of calories daily (in the range of 3500-5000/day). Over the past wk, I have experienced bad diarrhea and now bloating. I failed the spit test this morning (immediately had legs streaming down from the saliva). I have also had this nagging chronic cough since I had my tonsils removed in september last year. I had chronic tonsilitis for 2 years that no antibiotics resolved (candida??).
Anyway, does this sound like intestinal candida? I went to a gi doctor last fall and he diagnosed me with IBS, but never discussed candida as a possibility. Sorry for rambling, but I am at my wits end and would appreciate any insite.
Thanks
doc
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 07:36

BF:
Progress:

btw--I scored a 193 on Crooke's test
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:15

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Hi, welcome to the group! Well, it is a possibility that you have candida. It is also possible that you have a gluten intolerance. I would read up on gluten intolerance, or celiac disease. This can cause the gastro/intestinal problems you describe. Are you low carbing right now, and have you given up grain?

A milk allergy can also cause similiar symptoms. There is no easy answer, you need to try different approaches with your diet. I would eliminate ALL wheat and grains. If there is no improvement after a few weeks, eliminate dairy. That is what I would do, but I am neither a doctor nor nutritionist.

Good luck! I understand how miserable stomach problems can be, and I hope you can figure out the problem. I am sure you will!

-Denise
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:13

BF:
Progress:

no further diarrhea since starting a Probiotic, Yeast Fighters (twinlab) and dietary enzyme supplement yesterday-but now, I feel a little constipated--very frustrating!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 15:17

BF:
Progress:

this is what I am taking now:
-fiber capsules three times daily
-enzyme supplement three times daily before meals
-a probiotic daily
-flax seed oil
-yeast fighters (twinlab) daily

anything else that would be good ??
what is this Candistroy product?
thanks
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 07:47

Plan: my own (S.Beach-ish)
Stats: 272.5/264.5/150 Female 69in
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi muscledoc!

I'm a bodybuilder too. I've had six months off because of this candida thing. This is just my experience but I've been doing better at curing the candida since I lessened my workouts. Its been a month and a half of intense treatment and I'm just now starting to lift again! (at pitifully low weights!) I think the down time is crucial. Your body's trying to heal, it doesn't need the stress of intense workouts.

I don't know if you're familiar with Body for Life, by Bill Phillips, that's what I do. There's a recommended eating plan that's really very similar to the candida diet. Its a balance of lean protein, non-starchy carbs and vegetables. If you're up for it you can deal with your yeast problem while continuing workouts. (BodyRX could be modified easily for you, too) check out www.leanandstrong.com its a really great fitness community. They seem to be experts on everything related to bodybuilding, but I warn you they know nothing about candida!

About the supplements, where are your antifungals? or did I miss something?

I scored over 400 on Crook's test 7 weeks ago. I now score less than 100 and I have no "spit runners"now. Here's what I take:

am: two probiotics, multivitamin/mineral, borage oil
noon: one b-complex, two kyolic garlic, two caprystatin
pm: two grapeseed extract, two caprystatin

I've also followed an anti-candida diet to the T. I designed it myself, if you're interested I'll go into more detail. I thought the diets that I'd read about would take too long! What I've been doing is certainly working for me.

Sorry if none of this helps! I found out I had candida because my bodybuilding program had just stalled. It was more than a plateau, I was actually losing strength and gaining weight! The body just doesn't work right with a yeast overgrowth!

Oh, yeah! how long have you been taking three fiber capsules? Last week I added fiber- capsules, and it was an entire week of IBS-type symptoms...diarrhea, severe, constipation, severe. It didn't improve until I ate starchy stuff with no fiber in it. sort of balanced things out again. Now I'm back on plan. I think the extra fiber may not be necessary on a candida diet, because absolutely everything I'm eating is very high in fiber. Just my two cents.

TAke care!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 08:19

Just wanted to let you know about a product I take. It is by Rainbow Light and is called "Everyday Fiber System". It is a powder you mix with water and contains psyllium, bentonite clay, and a host of other ingredients, all designed to "clean you out". The bentonite clay is supposed to draw out toxins, good for candida removal. I purchased it from iherb.com.

It tastes pretty bad, but it works well. I never had any luck with the capsules. This works for me. It is important to drink alot of water, too, but I am sure you already know that!

Amy Rose, your anti-candida regimen is great, congrats on getting rid of this crud! I found out I had candida after I started Atkins. The weight just wouldn't come off! I am still waiting, but I am still killing the stuff off.

Muscledoc - Candistroy is an antifungal. It works very well for me, and some other people. I haven't tried the Twinlab Yeast Fighters, but I take alot of other Twinlab products, and feel they are quite reputable. You might want to pick up another type of anti-fungal, the yeast can get immune to one, so try alternating two of them. I take Candistroy, Yeast-Cleanse by Source Naturals, and Olive Leaf extract, alternating the three. I would agree with Amy Rose about stopping the weight lifting while killing off the yeast. Your body is going through alot right now, and needs all the help it can get.

-Denise
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 07:34

BF:
Progress:

Thanks everyone for your help! I appreciate it. I am gonig to back down on the fiber b/c now I think it is resulting in constipation--yikes! thanks again doc
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:16

Muscledoc, do you take magnesium? If you don't, taking it might help with constipation. I read that people with candida don't absorb magnesium properly, so they are deficient in it. I take it myself, and have never had a problem with constipation. Hope it helps!

-Denise
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Please tell me what is the spit test...Osuzana
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 13:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi Muscledoc,

Your doctor is most likely correct. You have IBS. Exactly which bowel disease is not so important. You probably have Candida as well. The low-carbohydrate diet is the best way to go for all bowel diseases and Candida, but you must add further restrictions beyond low-carb.

Check out my web page at:

Bowel Diseases and Candida - News You Can Use.

Ask you doctor about prescribing Asacol to assist you with the IBS. Don't discontinue the drug until many months after all symptoms are gone. The website links to other Candida resources will provide other prescription drugs and herbal products to assist with Candida. Don't even think about going back to high carbs ever because all the problem will quickly return.

Good luck,

Kent
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 08:06

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Have you been drinking lots of water??? The problem I have experienced is that I would get dehydrated with the diarrhea, take the fiber, then end up constipated . I drink a couple of big bottles of Smart Water (or any mineral water) to help get hydrated WITH electrolytes.

Good luck!
Jinx