Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-10, 16:34

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I asked Dr. Peat to rate grains in order of which he felt was best to worst. He said, " masa harina (best), white rice or oats, and brown rice." Then he added, " The phytic acid in the oats block absorption of much of the calcium; cooking the oats much longer than usual might improve its nutritional value."

I don't think he is a fan of grains in general and feels there are nutritionally superior carbohydrate choices available. You can read more on his thoughts on the subect in his "Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context" article.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glycemia.shtml

Cathy
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-10, 10:33

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

So basically you are eating LC, but adding potatoes, fruit/fruit juices, right?
From the menu you put its not obvious to me what is the eating plan is? Apart from avoiding gluten its not showing...

Oh isn't there a glutinous rice variety? I think that’s the one that is used in puddings, in the menu put up this rice pudding was included.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-10, 13:43

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This summary of Peat's dietary recommendations was found in a blog run by 2 of his followers, written by someone named Jay. I think it is as close as you will come to finding an eating plan since Ray Peat has not written an eating plan, just made various dietary recommendations.

JAY said:
Protein sources: gelatin, milk, cheese, eggs, potatoes, meat (preferably not the lean cuts). Eat about 70-100 g per day and have some with every meal.

Fat sources: coconut oil, butter, olive oil (only as a condiment).

Carbohydrate sources: fruit juices, fruit, sugar, potatoes. Have some with every meal to prevent hypoglycemia after eating the proteins.

Avoid at all cost: PUFAs, soy, seeds, cruciferous vegetables and most vegetables in general. Roots are more harmless than the others. Also don't eat too much of lean meat.

Everything else is somewhere in between - it won't kill you if consumed, but unless you are healthy it's better to prefer above listed foods.

Extras: pregnenolone, progesterone, thyroid and some minerals may be needed to correct hormonal imbalances if food is not enough to do the trick, and some of these in small doses will slow down the aging. Coffee supports the metabolism but has to be consumed with some sugar or with meal to prevent stress response due to low blood sugar.

Also keep in mind that if you have been eating PUFAs in the past, the oil change in your tissues takes up to four years during which your fat stores will be releasing enough PUFAs to cause you some troubles, so it requires some patience and also some skillful means to counteract their effects, like getting some extra vitamin E, little thyroid to counteract their antithyroid action etc. It all depends on how your metabolism works.
March 13, 2010 1:13 PM
Jay said...
Perhaps I should add that in every case you should read through his texts and through posts on this blog and make some notes, because there are some important details which can not be listed in such brief overview I just gave you. Like: fruits in general are fine, but grapefruit is full of phytoestrogens, so avoid it, and berries are full of small seeds you can't avoid, so it's better to skip them too.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-10, 14:21

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%

I am tracking my carbs and would definitely say I'm NOT eating LC, but moderate carb. Yesterday I consumed 242 carbs, today I should be somewhere around 275+. (Did you know that 6 Medjool dates are 108 carbs! Okay, probably won't buy them again.)

I was eating rice pudding, made with arborio rice. Not doing it right now primarily because I have a very difficult time with portion control. Here's the recipe I used:

Arborio Rice Pudding
1 cup water
Pinch salt
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup Arborio rice
2 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Few dashes ground cinnamon
Whipped cream, for serving (optional)

Bring water, salt, and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice, return to a boil, put a lid on and then reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Shake the pan occasionally and cook until rice has absorbed the water but is still al dente, about 15 minutes.
Bring milk, sugar, vanilla, and a few dashes of cinnamon to a simmer in a separate saucepan. Add the cooked rice and cook at a simmer over medium-low heat with lid ajar until rice absorbs most of the milk and mixture starts to get thick and silky, about 20-25 minutes.
Transfer pudding to a large bowl and cool to room temperature. Place in refrigerator until cool and set (it will thicken when cooled). Serve with whipped cream and a dash more cinnamon.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-10, 18:06

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i used to make a custard rice pudding that was awesome. i used brown rice but you could use whatever.
i think it originated in a betty crocker cookbook that my grandma owned.
i would change the sugar even though Peat is okay w it, really, i'm not. that would cause a portion control issue for me.

he recommends dairy and even states somewhere that one could live on dairy and fruit.....and maybe gelatin was included, i can't remember.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-10, 18:11

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

In a nutshell I would say that Peat suggests eggs, milk, shellfish and one serving of meat daily for protein. He does not recommend too much meat because the cysteine in it turns off the thyroid gland temporarily. He recommends only saturated fats such as butter and coconut oil, along with small amounts of olive oil. For carbs he recommends potatoes and other root veg and fruit (tropical fruit in particular). He frowns on grains and gluten as most LC gurus do, but says that occasional use of oats, rice and masa harina are okay.

He works very well for people with thyroid and adrenal issues. All my fellow hypos that have followed his plan have lost weight and gotten healthy. In fact, my friend had been trying to get pregnant for two years and she had only been on Peat for a month when she conceived.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-10, 18:16

oh, and what about indian pudding...good way to use that masa.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-10, 18:18

BF:

Quote:
…indian pudding...good way to use that masa.
recipe, please?
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-10, 11:13

i haven't made indian pudding in many, many years but it was a fav at one time.
i don't know what recipe i used....may have come from the Joy of Cooking.
you can google and get the history of this pudding and recipes but i am partial to the ones containing eggs. this adds a slight custard texture rather than flavored mush.
i also like the molasses but there was a site that used apple juice/cider to replace the water and molasses.
also as a lc'er, you can sweeten as desired w whatever. i will probably not make it as a dessert but for breakfast, etc so not so sweet.
foodonthefood site has a good recipe.

this would make a great TG b'fast so i may cook it up in the morning.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-10, 15:13

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
In a nutshell I would say that Peat suggests eggs, milk, shellfish and one serving of meat daily for protein. He does not recommend too much meat because the cysteine in it turns off the thyroid gland temporarily. He recommends only saturated fats such as butter and coconut oil, along with small amounts of olive oil. For carbs he recommends potatoes and other root veg and fruit (tropical fruit in particular). He frowns on grains and gluten as most LC gurus do, but says that occasional use of oats, rice and masa harina are okay.

He works very well for people with thyroid and adrenal issues. All my fellow hypos that have followed his plan have lost weight and gotten healthy. In fact, my friend had been trying to get pregnant for two years and she had only been on Peat for a month when she conceived.

I read somewhere in one of the journals claiming Peat suggested the thing which one makes one gain weight is the starches not the sugar, hence fruit sugar is OK but not starches ... but from what you write the plan is heavy on the potatoes which is starch?

Oh, but I think this plan is so suitable to the Irish lol, meat and potatoes, how can you go wrong

What do you have for breakfast? Fried eggs and hash browns come to mind, or steak and chips I presume beans and pulses are out?

So I think an example menu would be:

B: fried eggs and hash browns
L: chicken/fish with one or two small potatoes
D: Same as lunch???

Or:
B: Cottage cheese / Greek yogurt
L: seafood or chicken& corn or chicken & potato soup
D: chicken/fish/ steak with one or two small potatoes

Is the above right?? I didn't include juices or fruit, but suppose that could be taken as snacks in between??
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-10, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily1
I read somewhere in one of the journals claiming Peat suggested the thing which one makes one gain weight is the starches not the sugar, hence fruit sugar is OK but not starches ... but from what you write the plan is heavy on the potatoes which is starch?

Oh, but I think this plan is so suitable to the Irish lol, meat and potatoes, how can you go wrong

What do you have for breakfast? Fried eggs and hash browns come to mind, or steak and chips I presume beans and pulses are out?

So I think an example menu would be:

B: fried eggs and hash browns
L: chicken/fish with one or two small potatoes
D: Same as lunch???

Or:
B: Cottage cheese / Greek yogurt
L: seafood or chicken& corn or chicken & potato soup
D: chicken/fish/ steak with one or two small potatoes

Is the above right?? I didn't include juices or fruit, but suppose that could be taken as snacks in between??

Peat doesn't eat much potatoes himself now. He recommends potatoes because of their protein and lack of anti nutrients. Otherwise I am not quite sure why he is a fan, since yes they are a starch. He thinks all other starches should only be consumed occasionally though, when one's metabolism is healthy. I take that to mean when one's thyroid is optimised and/or they are at goal. My thyroid was optimised last year, but thanks to that ERFA crap, it is not running well again and I am in the process of sorting it. So, I avoid gluten free oats, rice and all other starches at the moment.

Re: the menu he only recommends meat once a day and it needs to be served with a portion of gelatine. So yesterday I had a small steak for dinner and drank a heaped teaspoon of gelatine in hot water with it.

Also, many have fruit after their meals.

He stresses milk, cheese and butter for dairy as he is not a fan of the lactic acid in yogurt. He believes lactic acid buildup in the blood can stress the metabolism. Again, if one's metabolism is functioning well he thinks occasional use of yogurt is okay.

Beans and pulses are out yes, due to their anti nutrients.

If one was to have chips; they would have to be cooked in the oven or at home with coconut oil. Chips at restaurants are PUFA heavy. I'm too scared for that yet though.

Here is the way I am eating.
Brunch: Cheese and tomato omelette with a side of sauteed potatoes in CO and a glass of milk
Dinner: Low PUFA fish/steak/chilli with potatoes, gelatine, milk, raw carrot and some dark chocolate
Supper: Milk, fruit and cheese/prawns

It appears that most people going from regular LC to his plan cannot eat much sugar without gaining weight. This is probably because LC'ers tend to eat a lot of PUFAs. I think this is why many do so well on ZC as opposed to LC. A diet made up of beef and lamb is very low PUFA and thus very anti inflammatory.

So, I am not eating much sugar the way some Peat followers seem to. Plus, I can't quite get my head around that anyway.

Peat is VERY against PUFAs, even in natural forms like meat. He is very pro fruit and dairy. He also recommends at least 80g of protein, as protein is needed for good thyroid function.

His approach focuses a LOT on thyroid health because a low thyroid affects every cell of the body and if left untreated/unoptimised can cause everything from obesity to heart problems to cancer.

HTH.

I am a Peat virgin and have only been on his plan for five days now.

Last edited by Scarlet : Fri, Nov-26-10 at 06:52.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-10, 20:17

I am the opposite Scarlet, potatoes bloat me so I am better off w a little rice or corn.
I baked up the Indian Pudding this morning, eliminating the maple syrup. It was really sweet and i ate it w plain greek yogurt....very satisfying and stayed w me.
I will make custard rice pudding in a couple days when this is gone.
Peat does eat rice....somehow, I think it's white.
I really don't care for white rice but love brown.
But I also eat some legumes so will never (never say never) be completely following. For the most part, though, I am doing it his way....sans all the sugar. Also am transitioning over to more tropical fruit....picked up a nice pineapple earlier and am enjoying those satsumas.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-10, 20:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
...He stresses milk, yogurt and butter for dairy as he is not a fan of the lactic acid in yogurt.
I *think* she meant to say cheese, not yogurt where I bolded.

Here's a response from Dr. Peat regarding yogurt:
"In quantities of an ounce or so, for flavoring, it's o.k., but the lactic acid content isn't good if you are using yogurt as a major source of your protein and calcium. It triggers the inflammatory reactions, leading to fibrosis eventually, and the immediate effect is to draw down the liver's glycogen stores for energy to convert it into glucose."

Also, here are some other guidelines I've gleaned from emailing him:

- Many fruits contain allergens, especially when they are underripe and can sometimes cause reactive hypoglycemia, cravings, hunger, and digestive issues

- I showed a slight sensitivity to casein when I did the Enterolab testing and asked f I should avoid dairy; he said it's normal to make antibodies to food, as part of developing tolerance.

- I asked if having some kind of gluten free cereal with milk for breakfast would be okay occasionally—it would be a break from my regular eggs or cottage cheese, and a good way to up my milk intake; he replied that anything with milk has some nutritional value, but just some sugar or honey with the milk would be o.k., without the slight risk of the adulterants (added vitamins/minerals).

- For the (occasional) dessert, sugar is preferable to sweeteners such as xylitol and stevia.

- If it's well cooked and eaten with butter or other fat, it isn't too harmful to have gluten free pasta for weekly consumption.

I want to make my own gluten free bread since most of the commercial gluten free breads have high PUFA oils in them. I asked if any of the following ingredients should be avoided:
*brown rice flour
*sorghum flour
*cornstarch
*potato starch
*potato flour
*xanthan gum
*arrowroot flour
*tapioca starch

and he replied that potato flour actually has some nutritional value and the others are okay.

The recipe I am going to try is from here.

The other two that look good are GF Cheesy Hamburger Buns and GF Hamburger Buns

Jem, he does prefer white rice over brown rice; have you ever tried jasmine or arborio or basmati rice? There are lots of different "white" rices that have more flavor than plain converted long grain white rice.

I don't follow Peat's guidelines 100% but do the best I can.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 08:53

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hi. I've been reading your thread about Dr Peat's dietary advice. Its very interesting and it reminds me of the Perfect Health guidlines. I haven't read the book yet, but I plan to. Its a semi-low carb diet where they actually say eating extremely low carb isn't good for you. I don't have any specifics as I've just recently discovered their website, but I do see some similarities to Dr Peat's recommendations. Here's the link:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?page_id=8
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 09:19

Great post on what Ray eats himself:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/grou...cs/message/5523

Here is some further info about the man himself. He is in his 80s I think: http://raypeat.com/about.shtml