Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 13:55

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

darcijj:

I am hypothyroid ...have been for over 16 years. I've had varying dosages of Levothyroxine during this time. Weightloss has been a nightmare for me until I was introduced to DRNDR this past fall.

About 3 years ago I read an older book found in our local library (written during mid 1970's) put out by a dietician (can't remember her name) who was successful in helping those with metabolism problems to loose weight. Thinking back, it was likely a moderate LC way of eating. I didn't work for me. When someone told me about a high protein / low carb diet, I told them I tried one but it doesn't work for me. She explained that there are many low carb plans out in the market and that I need to find the one that is best for my particular metabolism needs. So I read DANDR as well as Protein Power. Protein Power reminded me of that previous diet put out by the dietician. Since Atkins' diet talked of even lower carbs, I tried that out & it has been working for me (amazing!). You can see by my profile how well I've done on it. During a 3 month stall, I twigged on to cheese & nuts as stalling agents for me. At the moment, I'm taking in maybe 30ish carbs / day ( I don't know how many calories I get ...I haven't taken the time or interest to calculate that) and maybe loose about 1 pound per week. I try to take a 1 hour walk 2 - 3 times a week.

All I can encourage you to do is possibly consider experimenting with different LC approaches. With unique health challenges, one LC program may work better than others. Different LC programs is compared through this LC website if you want to look things up. If you have a 'Curves' fitness centre in your area, you can get lots of info & support through them. It sounds like you have great perseverance ...be willing to adjust & readjust where necessary in order to attain your goal.