Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-11, 22:42

Plan: N/a
Stats: 270/245/180 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default All help is welcome, please :)

Hi! My name is Amy and I am 20 years old. I have struggled with my weight, skin, hair growth, cycle, and blood pressure almost all of my life. Many of the doctors I saw as a youth and young adult told me to simply lose weight and my problems would be gone... We all know it doesn't work that way, right? Who were they kidding?!

But I met a fantastic doctor that has been very understanding and has actually aided me in losing 25 lbs. This is a miracle and a milestone for me that I was convinced I could never get past. However...

I stumbled upon this forum in researching the condition I gather that I have, though doctors say I am not a 'technical diagnosis'. I am happy about my results so far, but now I am wondering is there more that can be done to correct some of my symptoms still remaining (hair growth, acne, infertility, mood swings).

I am currently on: diovan htc, bystolic 20mg, ortho tri cyclen, metformin, phentermine. If anyone has any suggestions or is in the same situation, any help is welcomed
Thank you for your time,
Amy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-11, 22:54

BF:
Progress:

Oh and also, to add to my sx... I have acanthosis nigricans as well under my arms and around my breasts.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-11, 11:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Amy,
I was dx'd with PCOS when I was 15. I'm 30 now. I tried phentermine before, but realized it was only making my mood swings worse. Sometimes it would even make me depressed. Once I got off that it was better. My highest weight was 212. At that point i was not having my periods, and had the dark spots as well. Especially in the middle of my chest which I hated. The only thing that really helped was the low carbing. ONce I did that, the weight came off and so did the dark spots on my body. I had dropped down to 160, but then became pregnant with my second child. He's almost 2 now and I'm lingering in hte 170's. So I decided to go back to low carbing, as that all that seems to help. The hair, I just realize that as I lose weight, It's not as bad, but still there. I've tried everything! And nothing seems to help much. I hate that it's so hard to lose weight with PCOS and yet that's the only thing that helps it!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-11, 15:54

BF:
Progress:

Amen!

It's like everyone who doesn't suffer from this doesn't understand how much the odds are stacked against women with PCOS and how traumatic and tragic the symptoms really are. I've actually never done well with low carbing bc I have severe hypoglycemia. And that plus glucophage makes me feel very weak on occasion but ive actually been looking into gastric bypass or lap bands because I've come to realize there is just no medication thats going to fix the issues. Also seeing about switching to yaz and hopin that will help clear up the acne versus my triphasic pills.

Last edited by BiohzrdxA : Wed, Jul-20-11 at 21:36.