Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 17:55

Plan: cyclical ketogenic
Stats: 192/168/165
BF:11% goal 10%
Progress: 89%
Default Coenzyme Q10 and ketosis

All, While I was reading up on Nootropics I found an article that mentioned some of the things Coezyme Q10 can do for you. It is an anti-oxident with heart protecting properties. Unfortunately it also has ketosis effects: http://www.smart-drugs.com/smart/info-CoQ10.htm

"Coenzyme Q10 prevents the build-up of excessive serum levels of Ketones (Ketosis) [diabetes sufferers' Ketone levels fell by at least 30% in 60% of subjects receiving CoQ10].
Coenzyme Q10 prevents the (free radical induced) oxidation of LDL Cholesterol"

Do not know if it means that you aren't burning fat or not. Just thought y'all might be interested in this tidbit.

Good Luck fellow dieters, Mike
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Paleolithic since Feb 2000
Stats: 218/190/182
BF:
Progress: 78%
Question

A most interesting question.

I recently (1 month ago) started taking CQ 10 as a supplement and would be very, very interested in peoples opinions to this post.

Yours aye, Scotsman

PS. If nothing else, by replying to this post I keep it near the top of the "new posts" list. Mind you, given the time difference between Scotland and the rest of the world (somewhere around 200 hundred years) I probably shouldn't have bothered!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 19:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not an expert on this, but benign dietary ketosis and diabetic ketoacidosis are different things.

Here is an explanation by Doreen on the difference.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 21:54

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum!

I really don't think that CoQ10 has the anti-ketosis effect that you talk about in your other post on this subject.

First, Atkins recommends CoQ10 and cites a Belgian study: Participants were put on a standard diet for 9 weeks. Some were given a placebo, others were given 100 mg. CoQ10 per day. The group that received the CoQ10 lost an average of 29.7 pounds in the nine weeks while the placebo group lost only 12.7 pounds on average.

Second, I've been taking 100 mg. a day of the stuff for seven months and in the same time have lost 87 pounds and I am definitely in ketosis.

See my other suggestion for you in your other post on CoQ10.

Allison