Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 16:11

Plan: X-Factor (Leslie Kenton)
Stats: 173.1/169.7/158
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thanks for the tip on where to buy the pork crackling! I couldn't find it anywhere. And I live in Manakau too, what a bonus!

B.T.W. Have been on Weight Watchers for about 2 years (lost about 26kgs) but weight was slowly creeping back on so gave LC a go (X-Factor, Leslie Kenton), I am amazed at how "un-hungry" I feel, I didn't believe it was possible!

Cheers, Rachel
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268.4/257.9/205
BF:
Progress: 17%

Im in Papatoetoe so it is REAL good for me

I tried weight watchers, reductil, the works. This is the first on where I feel like I am able to eat real food and enjoy it. Also the only one to show significant weight loss in a short period of time.

Had a bit of a blue day yesterday and crammed in the food but hopefully the things I ate were still ok. The only things I were unsure of were almonds and golden circle diet sodas. They are about 3g each.

The pork rinds took a hammering.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 18:11
Registered Member

Stats: 203/171/150 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hey everyone Becky here from dunedin. Thought i would let you know if you are in to chocolate check out your local confectionary store - there a couple of brands of sugar free belgium chocolate a lot of them keep (i can't remember the names) and they have yummy flavours like praline Also De Spa chocolates in CHCH have a sugar free range - all these are made with Maltitol.
Good to meet you all
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 18:18
Registered Member

BF:

I must have missed them looking in supermarkets.

I will try in Auckland and update if there is a source
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 16:05

BF:

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't Maltitol a form of sugar anyway? I was attempting to find unsweetened choc at the local health food shop and all that I found was choc sweetened with this Maltitol stuff, and the shop attendant said that this was a form of sugar anyway? Maybe I could have bought it after all, it looked really yummy! So is Maltitol ok on an LC diet?
Thanks, Rachel
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 16:12
Registered Member

BF:

A good rule of thumb is to look at the labels and check the carb levels. For instance, splenda is derived from sugar but spree and diet classic cola show low carbs, even though sweetened with splenda.

If the choc label says the carbs are low it is ok. Look at the ingredients list as well. If it says palm oil run like hell. Most choc has a high glycemic index (this determines how much insulin will be generated if you eat it, the curse of LC). The best GI is from belgian dark chocolate, but it must also be LC. This is why it is so hard to find a good one. Only cocolate made from cocao butter(not cocoa) is good. The rest have evil and nasty additives.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 17:11
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
So is Maltitol ok on an LC diet?

Yes and no.
Maltitol is a sugar alcohol. They are fine for many people, but many others find that their weight loss slows or stops if they use them. A real YMMV issue.

There's a great article on sugar alcohols in "Low Carb Tips" which you'll find on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

Cheers.

Roz
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 22:34
Registered Member

Stats: 205/172/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi all

I live in Darfield, in Canterbury, and we have a few low-carbers in these parts (among the sheep)! I've been Atkinsing for 6 weeks and lost 4kg in the first fortnight, but nothing since, which is a disappointment. I had a school reunion last weekend and had a few wines and one dessert (I was STARVING after my salad lunch and no breakfast cos the motel only offered toast and jam!) Away from home is hard: next time I will be more organised and pack some lc supplies. Also my period is pretty wonky since I started low-carbing so I might be carrying more fluid. But it's weird, cos although the scales keep saying the same, I FEEL like I'm losing. I feel narrower!

Anyway, I'm not giving up. I think (HOPE) it will start happening again for me. Apart from when I'm away from home I find this WOE easy and satisfying.

Great snack and so easy it hardly bears saying: grate an ounce or two of cheddar cheese onto a little plate and nuke it for 40 seconds or so. Result: a molten pile of runny cheese to dig into with a teaspoon. Yum!

Rachel
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 05:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Bambi

Hey there Bambi,
You certainly are doing very well with this WOE plan. I have been mucking around with this WOE for around 1 year. Loose some and gain some but really not sticking to it 100%. Since reading your story I am thinking about going back on it for real this time and get to goal weight.
What did you exactly eat in 11 days to loose so many kilos please?
Hope to hear from you and keep up the good work.

Regards.
Karen. (Kiwi who lives in Aussie)
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 03:05
Registered Member

Stats: 109/93/75 Female 165 cm
BF:36.3/33.1/20
Progress: 47%
Default take another look

Hi Karen106

Take another look at those stats, as you will now see Im not doing so well, I fell off the wagon big time and havent managed to fight my way back up yet.

I have just moved back into the district I grew up in and I just find it soo horrid being this big person I am now, people need to look twice and then ask.... "Joanne isent it" Its really hitting home at the moment. So there is a school reunion happening in 2004 and Ive set the date, something to work with anyway, there will be no more excuses. I dont care what life throws at me, this is going to be it. (strong words )

So after getting my mind back into shape, I went to the freezer to see how the stock of meat was, and alas I have oe bag of mince left, needless to say a beast is getting killed tomorrow, which is fine that gives me one more week of 'mind' work.

So Karen 106 lets do it together you will shed you 11 kgs and I shall shed my ummmmm......lots of kgs .

Regards Bambi
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 15:37
Registered Member

Stats: 205/172/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi Bambi

I am very relieved to realise that your stats are in kg not pounds! When I read your first couple of posts I was thinking pounds, cos all the US people record pounds, and I though my god, what is this girl doing trying to go from 109 pounds to 60?! Duhhhh ...

All the best for your efforts. This forum is a big encouragement.

Rachel
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 05:14

Plan: Combined x-factor, blood type
Stats: 135/132/121
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi everyone I'm a fellow NZer too. I satrted wheat free back in february and started to feel way better. I then read Leslie Kenton's The X Factor Diet and that was the next step for me to go the low carb way. I've been a bit off and on about it, am really getting stuck into it now though as I feel I have a tonne more energy when i do follow it completely and cutting the sugar out cuts down the headaches too. Good to see some NZers around too doing it it seems to be becoming a lot more popular I have quite a few people coming into work saying theya re on Atkins and its really good to see peoples perceptions are slowly changing about eating high carb low fat diets. Anyway hi for now and I''m sure I'll talk to you again soon.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 21:48

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 164/143/143
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone, I'm Janine from Auckland, I've been LCing since April 2001, and maintaining since Oct 2001 (with a few hiccups due to Xmases and honeymoon).

I'm now looking forward to getting some pork rinds! Thank you for that information!
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 22:45

BF:
Default Pork Rinds

Hi Janine, you may be disappointed with the pork rinds, like you I was really keen to find out where to get them from, but have found them really sickly, they seem really fatty (or something) and I've gone right off them, luckily the dog still likes them!
Rachel
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 22:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194/156/140
BF:I hate to think
Progress: 70%

Hi everybody! I live in Palmerston North. Slimming capital of New Zealand.