Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 06:38

Plan: Atkins, I am also reading about and exploring others
Stats: 110/105/100
BF:
Progress:
Default health issues

I have recently switched to a lo-carb approach after years of low fat with very little meat, fish, dairy, etc. I switched because as the years progressed I seemed to be constantly struggling with hunger and weight gain even though I seemed to be doing everything right. After browsing several books and websites about lo-carb I started in on this eating style to see how it would work for me in terms of feeling healthy and maintaining a healthy weight without feeling that I am starving. Aside from a few initial days of headache and some nausea, I have been feeling well and am beginning to enjoy this way of eating. I often psyche myself out with the idea that this is not the healthiest way of eating after my years of lo-fat near vegetarian. It seems that different bodies may need different things. I think the lo-fat eating style was giving me too many carbs and not enough protein. Anyway, I am committed to this for awhile and I would like to gravitate toward the healthiest version of a lo-carb diet since health and not merely weight control is my real goal for the long term.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 08:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Thumbs up

Good for you, T Banks, it sounds to me like your attitude will lead you to success! Many of us, including myself, are low carbing for health reasons as well as for weight loss (of course the two go hand in hand). Keep checking in, and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 08:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi tbanks, welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by tbanks
.... I often psyche myself out with the idea that this is not the healthiest way of eating after my years of lo-fat near vegetarian. It seems that different bodies may need different things.
This just demonstrates the incredible POWER of the media and advertising. Back in the 60's and early 70's, meals centered around meat and protein ... and everybody knew that STARCHES made you fat .. so when you went on a diet, you cut out the bread, rice and potatoes. The earliest versions of Weight Watchers and Overeaters Anonymous look exactly like The Zone! And you're so right about different bodies needing different things. There's a term for it .. "Biochemical Individuality". Not every person will achieve health and well-being with a lowcarb regimen either, but the food industry and health leaders continue to push lowfat - highcarb for the entire population.
Quote:
....I would like to gravitate toward the healthiest version of a lo-carb diet since health and not merely weight control is my real goal for the long term.
Great attitude! Lowcarb eating is definitely about longterm lifestyle change, not just a short term "diet plan" you follow for a few weeks, then go back to the old way. The popular lowcarb programs, such as Atkins, Protein Power (Drs Eades) and Carbohydrate Addicts (Drs Heller) have stood the tests of time, and longterm follow-up is proving their health-giving benefit. Your best bet for ensuring the healthiest version of any lowcarb plan, is to follow their instructions to the letter, at least for a couple of months ... So many folks sincerely want to try lowcarb, but right off the bat want to do the program "their way" by choosing the fake, processed and refined lowcarb foods, bars, candies .... No new eating habits are learned, just old bad habits are reinforced with carb-reduced substitutes. Fake food can't supply the body with the nourishment it needs, whether or not the ingredients lists a dozen added vitamins. Real foods, fresh vegetables, lean meats and good unsaturated oils from olive, flax and raw nuts and seeds WILL make and keep you healthy!

(end of rant -- I'm stepping down from the soapbox now .. )

I'm so looking forward to more posts from you, telling us all about your lowcarbing success.

take care, Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 09:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Right on Doreen!

Congratulations tbanks for abandoning your low-"fad" diet.

It is much more fun to be fearful of carbs than it is of fat.

IMHO, this WOE is about eating adequately and properly. I know that many people overdo it on the protein and fat which gives this WOE a bad name. The worst thing is that they're cheating themselves by not finding a WOE that they can have for the rest of their lives.

It's very important to read the books reccomended by Doreen. They give you good "tools" to use in your new LC life.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 11:59

Plan: Atkins, I am also reading about and exploring others
Stats: 110/105/100
BF:
Progress:

Thanks to all who replied. I am reading Protein Power which has been very helpful with respect to the health issues and I will be reading the Schwarzbein Principle next. I am learning a lot and feeling great. Therese.