Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-10-01, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 220/199/140
BF:
Progress:

Hi guys,
I missed writing here but I have definatly been around to read the post. Things have gotton so busy around me...LOL I am sticking to this WOL like glue though and it to me... LOL
I have been doing great, just very busy. But this WOE is so easy for a busy person. I can't believe how easy it is... I just have goals that I really want to make and nothing takes my eyes off my goal. Let me tell you, my friends and associates are pretty amazed. I just really don't want carbs anymore... LOL This week I had to go into a Fancy Chocolate Factory here in Okinawa to order 300 place setting chocolate truffles and I was supposed to try them (we were trying to decide on two different ones, out of who knows how many) I just let my associates decide which ones would work. I had no desire, and this was even just days before my period... LOL amazing...
I leave Okinawa, Japan in 15 weeks about, and I tell you I want to be 30 more pounds lighter. If I make my goal, I will be so happy, but if I don't, I won't be upset if I know I did my best and stayed on this WOE.
Ok, now on to my question about INFERTILITY.
I read somewhere about this WOL and helping with INFERTILITY. Have you heard anything about this or could you direct me in the way to find information about LC diet and Infertility? I am not infertil, I have one son, I just keep having miscarrages, and we will be trying for another baby when I get closer to my goal. Anyways if you could let me know....

Thank you all so much.... I will look forward to your post...

honestd (Debbie)
220/200/140

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-11-01, 09:34

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

Hi Debbie

Hows it going over there?

Doreen may well be along soon to answer your question but there is some info in the health section. I think it mainly relates to PCOS which is a nasty little syndrome that is common amongst overweight women, ties into diabetes and all sorts and nearly always spells infertility or at least, extreme difficulty conceiving.

As to miscarriages, I dont know much about that but I am sorry to hear that you are coping with this sadness.

If its any consolation, I have a few friends who had a lot of problems with repeated miscarrying and with medical help they got things sorted eventually.

Just throw this in, totally out of the blue - in the last five years, you havent been living on a dairy farm or drinking or eating watercress etc from a stream that may run through a dairy farm? I just say this because my best friend contracted brucellosis during a brief stay on a farm and didnt know anything about it, until they tested her 3 miscarriages and some 4 years later.

I think being an optimal weight and fit is always preferable for fertility and for pregnancy. You've lost such a lot already, I just hope that in 12 months I can be where you are ...

Best wishes for the future Debbie.

Nicola
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-11-01, 12:46
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Debbie,

I'm so sorry for your losses .. .. and I sincerely pray for a happy, healthy birth in the future for you and your husband.

PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) is linked to insulin resistance, and fatty changes/deposits in the ovaries which prevent ovulation from happening in the first place, among other distressing hormonal symptoms. Since you are conceiving, and have regular periods, I doubt this is a problem.

I'm not a dr. but I would say that neither lowcarbing nor your weight for that matter is a factor for the miscarriages. I read in your other post that you'll be consulting with a good OB/Gyn soon, so any health-related problems will get investigated pretty quickly. Nicola is right to suggest possible environmental factors, also infections, and even problems with your husband's sperm as well (could he have been exposed to chemicals, toxins, radioactive materials, etc... ?) I'm sure the dr. will get to the bottom of this.

In the meantime, I came upon a very good site .. click on ... Facts About Miscarriage .. it's a gentle, personal site, but jammed with tons of facts and information. Put together by a woman who's been through the fire herself...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meantime, I demand to see a new pic of you at the 20 lbs down mark. Woo hooooo! Atta girl. I bet the next post will be a 100-number! Keep it up, or down I guess is the better word!

take care, lub you too ..

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-11-01, 22:45
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 220/199/140
BF:
Progress:
Smile Thanks guys

Thanks for replying so soon. I am doing great. I am trying to get into shape, exersising a little (mostly alot) every day.
I haven't ever been on a farm in my life I don't think. LOL I will be soon I am sure because we are moving to Idaho where they are everywhere. I don't know what the problem is either. I do remember reading somewhere that the Low Carb diet HELPS some how with certin people that are having difficulty conceiving. We are still going to wait a while before we try again... Maybe another 30 to 50 lbs down. How ever long that takes... Hopefully not too long... (by that I mean more than 12 months) LOL but like everything you have goals for, it will take dedication to get there and my willingness to be more healthy.
I will check out those sites. I do pray that the Dr.s find something with all those test they took, it can't be that important because I did have one handsome son!!! Just Gods timing I guess...
Of course, My husband is in the military and he has to get those Anthrax shots all the time. I wonder if those have anything to do with it???? They wouldn't tell me if it did though...
My conspiricy theroy for the day... LOL

Anyways thanks so much....
I do appreciate it!!
DebbieT
220/200/140