Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 04:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Mainstream Medicine Doesn’t Want To Acknowledge Low-Carb Diet As A Healthy Practice

Mainstream Medicine Doesn’t Want To Acknowledge Low-Carb Diet As A Healthy Practice

https://www.medicaldaily.com/mainst...practice-445761

Quote:
There is enough anecdotal evidence out there about the value of a ketogenic (keto) diet in successfully managing type 2 diabetes.

But the medical community at large remains unconvinced that the keto diet should be pronounced an approved therapy for managing type 2 diabetes because of the unnaturally high amount of fat consumed to maintain ketosis. Some doctors assert there is no long-term data on the safety of the keto diet in adults.

These vastly conflicting views continue to becloud the widespread acceptance of the keto diet as a mainstream diet with some benefit against type 2 diabetes.

At its core, diabetes is characterized by high blood sugar, impaired insulin function and changes in metabolism. A keto diet can help a person lose excess fat, which is closely linked to type 2 diabetes, prediabetes and metabolic syndrome.

One study found the keto diet improved insulin sensitivity by a massive 75 percent. A person who is insulin sensitive (or who has high insulin sensitivity) will require smaller amounts of insulin to lower blood glucose levels compared to a person with low insulin sensitivity, which is also called insulin resistance.

Another study in people with type 2 diabetes found that 7 out of the 21 participants were able to stop using all diabetes medications after following a keto diet.

Dr. Tro Kalayjian, a board-certified internal medicine and obesity medicine physician, said he lost 150 pounds on the keto diet. In a recent blog post, Dr. Kalayjian vented his anger and frustration over the "closed minds of mainstream physicians" that won’t acknowledge the mounting medical evidence in favor of low-carb diets such as the keto diet.

He listened to speakers at the Obesity Week Conference in Las Vegas from Nov 3 to 7, which brought together more than 4,000 obesity professionals from around the world. The annual conference focused on diabetes this year.
“I don’t quite know how to express my feelings and thoughts about this event, but the words ‘anger’ and ‘hopelessness’ immediately come to mind," Dr. Kalayjian wrote in his blog.

He said speaker after speaker at the conference continued to promote low-fat diets with multiple small meals featuring plenty of “healthy” grains, fruits and vegetables. Dr. Kalayjian called this “legacy messaging" that ignores the mounting evidence in favor of low-carb diets for diabetes management and reversal.

“My anger and hopelessness are best exemplified by the first keynote speech, delivered by Dr. William Cefalu, who is chief scientific and medical officer of the American Diabetes Association,” Dr. Kalayjian wrote.

Dr. Cefalu emphasized the best diet "is one that a patient can adhere to,” which was effectively a disapproval of the keto diet that is tough to maintain.

On the other hand, Dr. Kalayjian said if adherence is the main issue in the diet wars, then low-carbohydrate and time-restriction (both keto) approaches should be considered the best diets. He also criticized the failed messaging of multiple small meals, lean meats and whole grains in weight loss.

During the conference, Dr. Kalayjian was dismayed by the fact physicians still refuse to see the big picture. He said it's time for more obesity and diabetes doctors to admit the failure of low-fat diets and multiple small meals, lean meats and whole grains in weight loss.

"Let’s stop the fake open-mindedness, claiming 'there is no best diet' while then continuing to promote only a high-carb, low-fat, eat-often message," Dr. Kalayjian added.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 05:52

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Being one of these so-called "obesity experts" at this conference, advocating for the low fat multiple meals per day diet, is akin to being a member of the flat earth society. I am glad that there are doctors such as Dr Kalayjian speaking truth to power.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 08:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Another example of "The Emperor's New Clothes." Yes, a diet of several meals and multiple snacks per day really works, you just can't see it happening. Trust us, we're experts!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 09:16

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Being one of these so-called "obesity experts" at this conference, advocating for the low fat multiple meals per day diet, is akin to being a member of the flat earth society. I am glad that there are doctors such as Dr Kalayjian speaking truth to power.

Unfortunately, the message of all those obesity doctors is not dissimilar to being a member of the flat earth society in the 1400's, insisting that Columbus was on a fool's mission, and going to sail right off the edge of the earth. They're convinced they're right, because the currently prevailing knowledge is that they're right. Sure, there's some new evidence being provided that LC/keto makes a huge difference, but no long term studies showing that it's possible to stick to it, or that it isn't even more dangerous than out of control obesity and diabetes in the long term.

In other words, it's the equivalent of someone in the 1400's saying just because some have been able to sail a certain distance to the west and not drop off the edge of the earth doesn't mean you can continue to sail to the west long enough to reach land, In the current climate of obesity and diabetes, the same as saying there's no proof that you can even stick to LC indefinitely, much less do LC indefinitely without it killing you.

At least that's what the vast majority of obesity doctors have had firmly drummed into their heads, especially when all the nutrition and diet authorities and "experts" are telling them repeatedly that all that protein and fat, with so few carbs and so little fiber are a recipe for an early death, and that there are no long term studies proving otherwise.

The long held belief that it's only a matter of calories in/calories out comes not only from doctors and nutritionists who are considered to be experts in obesity and diabetes, but additional resistance to the efficacy of LC/Keto also comes from PETA, climate change experts who blame so many current problems on "cow farts", gov't agencies pushing more grains, and fruit for everyone, and of course the manufacturers and grocery industry falling right in line with those recommendations.

It's a sad situation, and with how much resistance there still is to LC, not likely to change for the better without a long, protracted, uphill battle, waged by one individual at a time, each one of them so sick and tired of being sick and tired that they're willing to try something radically different, instead of yet another version of the same old unsatisfying, unsustainable low cal diet that didn't work the last dozen times they tried it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 10:50

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
In the current climate of obesity and diabetes, the same as saying there's no proof that you can even stick to LC indefinitely, much less do LC indefinitely without it killing you.

Yeah... and unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that, if I stick with a LowCarb/Ketogenic diet INDEFINITELY, I WILL die. No doubt about it. I can't argue with that conclusion. Of course, the same thing is true if someone sticks with a Low-Fat Mediterranean diet, or a Whole-Food Vegan diet, or any other diet INDEFINITELY. Eventually everybody dies!

What we need is some kind of consensus on what it means to stick with a particular dietary plan "long-term." I.e., how long should participants have been living on a particular dietary plan without any negative repercussions showing up for nutritionists to be willing to say that the plan appears to be safe? 6 weeks? 6 months? One year? Five years? Twenty years?

Just frickin PICK a time point and then apply the same time-point standard to every kind dietary plan!

If you want to say that Keto diets are "not proven" to be safe until massive numbers of people have stuck with the diet for more than ten years without any ill effects, then apply the exact same standard to EVERY OTHER DIETARY pattern!

And, if you want to say that a particular dietary plan is ONLY healthy if it provides every single known nutrient in sufficient quantities without any supplementation what-so-ever, then apply that same standard to EVERY dietary plan.

In other words, if the reasons for declaring that a ketogenic diet is not safe for the "long term" is that most (or even a large percentage) of people who go on a ketogenic diet need to supplement with additional magnesium; then it seems only fair to also declare that a Vegan diet is not safe for the "long term" because most (or at least a large percentage) of people who go on a strict vegan diet wind up needing to supplement with additional B12, calcium, iron and zinc!

At the very least, in evaluating diets for safety, efficacy, and adherence-ability, nutritionists ought to hold all the diets to the SAME standards. I'm just so tired of low-carb/ketogenic diets being held to a higher standards than all other diets and then being pooh-poohed because they don't meet that higher standard. And even worse, when they DO manage to meet those higher standards, nutritionists and main-stream medicine then moves the goalposts! "Yeah, you've been eating LC for five years now and you're still healthy... but give it another few years and your health is gonna suffer!"
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 18:17

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Well, I have been Ketoish for over 17 years and all the side effects have been healthy improvements.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 20:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Hmm, Low carb / keto was the diet of the northern Inuits which no longer exist because the long term effects killed them off. lol

The ignorance of these medical doctors is truly appallin g.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-19, 04:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

And there wasn't any of this longterm evidence they demand in the whole "fat will kill you" mindset. Especially since it was supposed to only be "saturated fat will kill you" which then morphed into fat itself being deadly.

I've had people ask me "Aren't you worried about eating all that fat?" I explain that the whole Fat Scare (that's what I call it) was based on a study with 22 countries but the "scientist" only picked the seven that supported his thesis.

Then I stand by to catch their jaw as it drops open.

If they looked, they would find I'm completely right, but they don't. People want the results without changing their lives.

Good luck with that one.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-19, 05:02

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
If they looked, they would find I'm completely right, but they don't. People want the results without changing their lives.

Exactly! Our habitual patterns of behavior are so strong and it feels as if they are impossible to change, but that is not true. We can change how we behave. We just have to want the long term results of these changes more than we want the temporary pleasures of our habits. Of course that means we have to do the research, question our assumptions and stop giving ourselves excuses when we don't like what we discover to be true.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-19, 11:11

BF:

I have two friends. One shaped like a bowling ball and her husband a 400 pound pear, and two twenty-somethings that keep packing on the pounds.....I gave up talking low carb, they are not diabetic so they dont need to give up the junk food.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-19, 14:11

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I’ve got a couple of those bowling balls in my life, too. They don’t even try anymore. They’d rather sit around eating Little Debbie and playing Candy Crush. And accept the fact that getting old sucks.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-19, 14:33

BF:

We really need our country to step up. All starts at the government level. USDA, CDC, and change what medical doctors are learning and doing.Maybe we need to create a campaign to inform our congress. Each and every one of them.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-19, 20:50

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Our government is corrupt. The agencies that are supposed to protect us have been infiltrated and taken over by the people who don't care about anything but their own profit motive.

Sadly, we can't depend on the FDA, AHA, AMA or anybody else to give us unbiased advice. They tell us what the big money people bribe them to tell us. OK they are tacit bribes in the form of donations, but they are still bribes.

So the intelligent thing to do is to source out the information for yourself, try to find the best sources, and hope you put yourself on the right track. Watch the results on your own body and if you aren't getting the results you want, be suspicious of the advice you followed and look around for something different.

And what works for one person might not work for the next.

Bob
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-19, 09:47

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Our government is corrupt. The agencies that are supposed to protect us have been infiltrated and taken over by the people who don't care about anything but their own profit motive.

Sadly, we can't depend on the FDA, AHA, AMA or anybody else to give us unbiased advice. They tell us what the big money people bribe them to tell us. OK they are tacit bribes in the form of donations, but they are still bribes.

So the intelligent thing to do is to source out the information for yourself, try to find the best sources, and hope you put yourself on the right track. Watch the results on your own body and if you aren't getting the results you want, be suspicious of the advice you followed and look around for something different.

And what works for one person might not work for the next.

Bob

Unfortunately, there's a lot of work involved in trying various solutions, and unless you just happen to hit on the method that works for you the first time around, it becomes a very time consuming endeavor. Most people simply aren't willing to put that much effort into it.

Many are much more willing to defer to the advice of the FDA, USDA, AHA, AMA, ADA, etc and those who have letters after their names associated with those organizations (MD, RN, RD, etc), than to take the word of any "internet expert", since there is indeed some mighty questionable advice out there on the web.

After all, the very reason the vast majority of people take their car to a mechanic to have the brakes replaced is that they don't have the education and tools required to do that particular job properly, and it could be deadly to try it on your own without the necessary tools and education. The same is true of anyone without a degree in health sciences - the kindergarten teacher, the computer programmer, the artist, the rocket scientist, the hairdresser, and the bank president don't really expect to understand all the details involved in what their doctor is recommending - they all look to the doctor as the expert in that field, believing he knows what's best, and all they need to do is what he recommends in order to be healthy.

And then there's the issue that when it comes to health, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Even in the LC world, there are numerous variations on the diet, which means it will stilll require some experimentation to determine the best ratio of macros for your particular body, which specific allowed foods stall you, increase or decrease symptoms, and which ones are most reliably effective.

Most people want quick and easy solutions that don't distract them from their day to day life, which is why so many are willing to take a handful of prescriptions to handle increasing physical problems, rather than spend months or years researching and experimenting with other ways of improving their quality of life. That's not the best solution, but it does tend to be the default solution, because that's what the experts are telling you is best.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-19, 10:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama

Bob

Its time to stand up and be heard. With enough voices, we can hammer away and make change. To keep quiet when we know better is a travesty.

I think it is ADA that has already made a change alliwing low carb as a treatment method.

We need to push the ball along. Everyone has the ability to send emails to senators and congressmen. Can you imagine the impact of everyone here sending testimonials and a list of MDs already on board.

And I bet a good number of forum members have the time to speak up.