Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 09:36

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 125/122/115 Female 67
BF:
Progress:
Default Neanderthin vs. Cordain's Paleo

What are the clear differences between Neanderthin program and Cordain's Paleo? Seems most people prefer Neanderthin.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 10:50

Plan: Neanderthin/Protein Power
Stats: 160/155/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I believe Cordain promotes a LOW FAT/lo carb diet. When I read that book, it seemed to me to be the PC version of a caveman diet. The best advice I gleaned from it was to watch the omega 3/omega 6 fatty acid ratios in my diet. I found a local supplier of range fed water buffalo and eggs for a really great price, so I don't worry about it to much. I take a fish oil supplement just to be sure.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 19:15
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Pay no mind to Cordain. He indeed advocates eating only lean meat, which can lead to cravings and sickness. Too much protein converts to sugar in your body.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 13:02

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 125/122/115 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

tell me about what your program involves. I feel a little bit bloated with Cordain's plan. I don't eat a lot of dairy so that is not an issue but my abdomen is constantly bloated or distended. I am not as concerned with weight loss and much as I am a maintenance plan and for health. My insides go nuts when I load up on bread, etc.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 14:05

Plan: Neanderthin/Protein Power
Stats: 160/155/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

The Neanderthin diet is easy, really. Just eat what our hunter-gatherer ancestors ate.

So just ask yourself, If I were naked with a sharp stick, could I get/eat this?

Basically, Meat, Fat, Veggies (no beans or corn), Fruit (limited quantities), and Nuts, and a little honey every once in a while.

Any other foods, like beer, coffee, vinegar, dairy, etc. should be tried very carefully and slowly to make sure you don't have any sensitivities to them.

For example, my hubby can eat a little bread and drink a beer occaisionally and be OK, I can't. A little blue cheese dressing every once in a while doesn't bother me, though.
You just have to find what is best for yourself.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 16:21
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

The "forbidden fruits" outlined in NeanderThin are all grains, all beans (including green beans, peas, peanuts, chocolate, soy, etc.), potatos/yams (beets, turnips, etc.), all dairy, and sugar. Alcohol is also to be eliminated, as is coffee.

Permitted foods are meat/fish & meat by-products (such as lard-- nonhydrogenated), fruits (low sugar is best), veggies (be judicious with carrots and other higher carb veggies), nuts & seeds (no peanuts or cashews), and berries.

I have never felt bloated on this strict protocol, nor have I felt unsatisfied or deprived. The food is exactly what my body wants. When I am hungry now, it is "body hunger," not emotional hunger or habit-driven in any way. All my incessant cravings are gone, because there are no addictive substances in my diet (as from grain, dairy, sugar, alcohol, etc), and the threads to those substances have been cut.

I won't be adding anything back into my diet after I have lost weight or been on this WOE for a long time, because I do not want to re-stimulate those threads. Grains, dairy, sugar, etc., have "exorphins" in them which produce a mildly euphoric, opiate-like response ... thus cravings and overindulgence. I'll just have to get my mild euphoria somewhere other than from my food!

This WOE certainly takes a firm resolve and commitment for most folks, especially carb addicts. But I'm thoroughly convinced it's worth it. I feel free from my dysfunctional relationship with food for the first time in my life!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 17:40
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

I think the main difference between the Paleo Diet and Neanderthin is that Neanderthin encourages the eating of fatty meat, while Cordain, for some reason, cautions against it and advocates leaner meat. His rationalization is that wild game is generally leaner than farm-raised animals. However, many hunter gatherers, such as American Natives (most notably the Inuit) prized the fat of the animal above all else, and I have about some group that actually drinks mugs of molten butter. Clearly Cordain is wrong. His plan brings you much closer to an all-protein diet than I think is healthy. If all that lean protein leaves you bloated, try eating fatter meat. I have never felt bloated when I have eaten that way. It is very satisfying. Personally, I can also eat moderate amounts of dairy and enjoy the less starchy legumes such as string beans and snow peas without ill-effect. When you have reached goal weight, you may want to carefully experiment also. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 00:54
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default green beans, yams etc.

I completely fail to see why paleo diets ban green beans, peas, yams etc.

I personally know Aborigines here in Queensland whose RECENT ancestors have been quite happily munching on legumes, yams and various roots for the last 60,000 years. I mentioned to my son-in law who is a full-blooded indigenous Australian as well as being a national park ranger in a large national park (Lakefield .. similar climate to, say, Guatamala) that his ancestors weren't allowed to eat legumes and yams. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of wild foods, and he fell around laughing.

Here on Bribie Island in Southern Queensland it's not unusual to find old aboriginal artefacts which look like a mortar and pestle, used to crush yams and edible fern roots to make a chewy paste.

Now the thing about beans is that Indigenous Americans (around Ohio I believe) began to cultivate them thousands of years ago and the modern result is the sort of thing they make into baked beans. They are full of carbs and you only have to eat a can to discover other nasty side effects!!

I've got a big bean patch in my back yard and I eat heaps of them. As well as choko's (mirletons) they supply much of my veggie consumption.

Cheers

MichaelG
Australia